Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Give'r or go home!!
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I've seen some posts like this, and the solution was a gadget called the problem solver or something like that. Alternativley, can I just run a full length brake houseing and use the lever and the actual brake as the only stops and then just zip tie it up? Seems logical to me, but there could be a problem I am unaware of. Any thoughts are appreciated. You've come through for me many times now on this Paramount project so thanks in advance, and thanks again.

Giver'

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
giverpig said:
I think that I've seen some posts like this, and the solution was a gadget called the problem solver or something like that. Alternativley, can I just run a full length brake houseing and use the lever and the actual brake as the only stops and then just zip tie it up? Seems logical to me, but there could be a problem I am unaware of. Any thoughts are appreciated. You've come through for me many times now on this Paramount project so thanks in advance, and thanks again.

Giver'
I'm not sure what you're asking... A v-brake uses one less stop than a cantilever brake. If you currently have canti there should be no issue. Are you trying to go from v to canti?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe I know what you are asking.

You want to run continuous housing from the lever to the brake, as you have no housing stop on the bike. This, as I recall, was a common problem for old Brodies with the noodle guide at the seat tube junction.

TO answer your question, YES, you can just run it full length housing. Used to be a common thing in the mud and muck to keep the cables running smooth. Zip ties will work to secure it to the frame also, just be prepared for it to look ugly. I've seen similar moves to secure Disk brakes hydraulic lines. Your other option is to braze on a stop, but that would likely neccesitate a new paint job also. Be aware that a new braze on is probably the best performing solution.

·
slow
7,749 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem on my 93 Paramount when I went from XTR cantis to Avid V brakes. All I have is the noodle on the seat lug. I ended up using a full length housing and it works great. It is ugly, but no other performance issues. Been running this setup for 3+ years.
Make sure to pull the zip ties pretty tight and cut your housing length correctly. When mine wasn't tight enough, my cable/housing slid forward and the loop got caught on the adjuster on my front brake handle in a tight left hand turn.

·
Give'r or go home!!
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noodle is what I have!!

Thanks Guys. I didn't know what to call it. But after reading your replies I do indeed have a noodle. I'll try the full length housing.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,758 Posts
Blasphamy!

V-brakes on an older frame. Tsk, Tsk.

If you want to go without the full housing there are clamp on housing stops available. Just stop by your local shop and ask for one...or leaf through their QBP catalogue if they don't know what you're talking about.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Problem solvers adhesive mounts with full length housing would be cool.

With one of these it wont look as bad since it wont move at all and you wont need a zip tie around the entire frame.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
Problem Solvers also makes an aluminum clamp-on cable stop if you don't want to run housing all the way back. Your LBS should be able to order one from Quality for you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.