Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after just getting new wheels 2 weeks ago i couldnt help myself but to buy a thru axle fork. id wanted a sherman for a while and i knew someone who had one so a deal was struck:
05 firefly plus 150mm travel
heres the pics from the test fit, need a manitou 8in brake adapter and a spacer before i do the final mount. anyone know anything about the spv?

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Looking good. That fork should treat you real well!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
SPV should be used in short-travel applications. In long travel shocks it tends to make the travel notchy and beats you up. It's fine if you do mostly trails or freeride, but if you do DH, you're going to feel it. Retrofit it with TPC or TPC+. You'll be thankful.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got everything mounted earlier and went for a ride. first impressions are wow, its stiff. wow the bike handles differently, wow its light for its size. im going to have to do some adjusting for sure because i had the z1 dialed in about perfect. im very happy with the riding position and how much easier it is to get the front end up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i did a small huck off a stairset of about 2 ft into grass. soaked it right up.no flex from the fork that i could feel. no chance to really give it a workout as i broke a chain less than an hour into the first ride and i still hadnt gotten it set up completely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so after some drops of 3 ft to flat, i noticed i was about to bottom the fr and rear suspension out i ordered some springs before i start to move up higher. the one for the fork came in yesterday. x-firm $35 bucks.
super easy install. remove the travel adjust lever with a small allen wrench. remove the top cap of the leg with a 20mm (i think) socket. spring pulls out with a plastic piece on the bottom and part of the travel adjust on the top. pull those parts off and switch the to the new spring. grease up the spring and slide it into the leg. replace top cap and travel adjust lever.
i got just a quick test ride on it but just riding around i noticed the front felt much better. i did some little bunny hops and a small doouble curb drop or two. hopefully the spring for the rear will be here this weekend so i can start working up to higher drops.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
redstar said:
so after some drops of 3 ft to flat, i noticed i was about to bottom the fr and rear suspension out i ordered some springs before i start to move up higher. the one for the fork came in yesterday. x-firm $35 bucks.
super easy install. remove the travel adjust lever with a small allen wrench. remove the top cap of the leg with a 20mm (i think) socket. spring pulls out with a plastic piece on the bottom and part of the travel adjust on the top. pull those parts off and switch the to the new spring. grease up the spring and slide it into the leg. replace top cap and travel adjust lever.
i got just a quick test ride on it but just riding around i noticed the front felt much better. i did some little bunny hops and a small doouble curb drop or two. hopefully the spring for the rear will be here this weekend so i can start working up to higher drops.
Redstar,

Good info. to know.

Out of curiousity, where'd you order the spring? Manipoo direct or through a dealer? Also, how much do you weigh (so I can factor in if I'm gonna need a new spring imediately). I'm about 165 with gear.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i ordered it through my LBS. i try to give them business whenever i can. they ordered it form manitou though.
i'm definitely clydesdale at 6'2" 285lbs. you may not need a new spring at all.
but if you do its quite easy. much easier than the marzocchi that came with the bike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts