Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really cant. I spend too much on my bikes.

I originally built my singlespeed to be a bike that I could leave around and it wouldnt be stolen. I painted it flat black and used very crappy wheels and worse brakes.

I built up my Fully, now all of its old parts made there way to the SS. So it has good brakes, nice levers and even better wheels.

Last week on ebay, I ended up buying one of the oldschool shocksters, did I need that? NO!

While back I scored a old 3 speed hub, yesterday I bought that parts to fix it and a rim and spokes to put it all together so I can use it on the SS.

didnt need that either.

MAKE ME STOP!

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
I think it is an epidemic...

summitlt said:
I really cant. I spend too much on my bikes.

I originally built my singlespeed to be a bike that I could leave around and it wouldnt be stolen. I painted it flat black and used very crappy wheels and worse brakes.

I built up my Fully, now all of its old parts made there way to the SS. So it has good brakes, nice levers and even better wheels.

Last week on ebay, I ended up buying one of the oldschool shocksters, did I need that? NO!

While back I scored a old 3 speed hub, yesterday I bought that parts to fix it and a rim and spokes to put it all together so I can use it on the SS.

didnt need that either.

MAKE ME STOP!
I do the same thing. I "needed" a winter beater bike. So I started off with an old frame and left over parts. Of course the V-brakes just weren't cutting it in the slop. And my main ride "needed" new brakes. Sooo, the hayes hydros went on my beater, which meant the old "worn out" wheelset from my other bike had to go on my beater. So I needed to replace the wheels on my other bike. In the end, everything snowballed into me having 5 bikes. Still need a beater for the winter though.... but am afraid I'll end up with 6 bikes and still need a beater bike.

I think I can actually calculate a percentage of my annual income as bike related expenses. Scary. But as was stated, the bills are still getting paid and my IRA is still getting funded.

REEK

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Hah! You need a wife, if you don't have one already. They have this remarkable gift of reining in your (our) outrageous spending habits with the most guilt-ridden rationale that you can't help but put away your check book until the next time you see that part you have absolutely no use for on ebay, and then she pops up again with another barrage of sound reasons why your money would be better spent on her, on the kids, on the house, etc.

About a month ago, I decided that I wanted big wheels. A cyclocross bike. Shortlisted it to two bikes. At that point, wifey pushes her meddling finger into the whole affair and pretty much tells me, "If you really, really feel you need to have it, then go with Brand X, but it's going to be really hard for us if you do so since we need Y done around the house, the nanny needs a raise, and we're starting a college fund for the baby. But if you feel you really really need to have this bike in addition to the four you have now..."

Felt like a total choad. Had to call up two really good people I'd been bugging for estimates to let them down. A great deal is a great deal and there'll always be great deals. Wifey made realize that the timing was just wrong right now.

That being said, this is by far the worst reason on the planet to go get a wife. Come to think of it, I'm still waiting for a proper reason to get a wife.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
toyota kawasaki said:
dont let your wife boss you around. its your money.
You, my friend, are apparently not married. Are you? :p

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Interesting...

SpinWheelz said:
Hah! You need a wife, if you don't have one already. They have this remarkable gift of reining in your (our) outrageous spending habits with the most guilt-ridden rationale that you can't help but put away your check book until the next time you see that part you have absolutely no use for on ebay, and then she pops up again with another barrage of sound reasons why your money would be better spent on her, on the kids, on the house, etc.

About a month ago, I decided that I wanted big wheels. A cyclocross bike. Shortlisted it to two bikes. At that point, wifey pushes her meddling finger into the whole affair and pretty much tells me, "If you really, really feel you need to have it, then go with Brand X, but it's going to be really hard for us if you do so since we need Y done around the house, the nanny needs a raise, and we're starting a college fund for the baby. But if you feel you really really need to have this bike in addition to the four you have now..."

Felt like a total choad. Had to call up two really good people I'd been bugging for estimates to let them down. A great deal is a great deal and there'll always be great deals. Wifey made realize that the timing was just wrong right now.

That being said, this is by far the worst reason on the planet to go get a wife. Come to think of it, I'm still waiting for a proper reason to get a wife.
The ultimate accessory, a wife. Do they come in titanium or carbon fiber? How dose that bolt onto my bike? Although for some reason, I have a feeling if I add one of those, my climbing, descending and riding overall will diminish...

I currently have prototype model of the "wife" accessory, marketed under the brand name, girl friend. Also seems to mildly limit my biking access but not my spending... Although some of the trade offs seem to be worth it.

Most of my riding buddies are married and I definitely see that they make wiser decisions than I do as a single guy. :)

REEK

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
toyota kawasaki said:
dont let your wife boss you around. its your money.
So how is the single life treating you? I'm guessing your not married or know of some accounting trick the rest of us have yet to figure out-- if it is the accounting trick share now!

jim

p.s. I've still got a few more days to come up with a justification for the 160 dollars worth of race tires I just ordered from mountain high :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
i too have the beginner model wife aka live-in girl friend. she certainly limits my spending. before we lived together i spent countless dollars on R/C cars. she has since convinced me to buy a new car, a plasma tv, and other misc crap on credit so my hobbies have suffered. i now scrap by every week to pay off everything and still hide money from her to buy Rc stuff, and now we just baught two mtb bikes, hers on credit mine with cash. growing up sucks, i dream of moving back in with my parents, working part time, and spending money like i did when i was 18 and 19.

and on top of that she wants a house....... AHHHHHHHHHHH i cant afford that.

as far as an accounting trick, i dont get a check stub, all of my money is automatically deposited onto a debit card provided by my employer, so its not that hard to just say i only worked 30 hours and keep some money for myself

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
ah, yes, the slush fund.

primussucks said:
i too have the beginner model wife aka live-in girl friend. she certainly limits my spending. before we lived together i spent countless dollars on R/C cars. she has since convinced me to buy a new car, a plasma tv, and other misc crap on credit so my hobbies have suffered. i now scrap by every week to pay off everything and still hide money from her to buy Rc stuff, and now we just baught two mtb bikes, hers on credit mine with cash. growing up sucks, i dream of moving back in with my parents, working part time, and spending money like i did when i was 18 and 19.

as far as an accounting trick, i dont get a check stub, all of my money is automatically deposited onto a debit card provided by my employer, so its not that hard to just say i only worked 30 hours and keep some money for myself
The old, "skim off the top and set up a biking slush fund" routine. Seen that in action before. But they always know... they ALWAYS know.

REEK

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
mahgnillig said:
How do you know? Maybe his wife is the big earner...
In that case I want the secret as well. I've been joking lately that it is time to trade my current wife in for newer model, maybe a newer richer model that will let me sponge off of her. I could be a kept man as long as it did not get in the way of my riding. I could justify the countless hours on the bike to upkeep for my end of the deal-- she gets shapley shaved legs in bed :D

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
This is the best reason to get a wife. This is from our honeymoon.

She has (right now) more bikes than I do, never says no to bike stuff, only says to make sure we can afford it right now. She's the best.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
primussucks said:

Talk to your employeer. I know mine will divide up my paycheck any way i like and direct deposit into any number of accounts. Have some deposit into another checking account, or into savings, or a numbered account in the caymens.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
You are the luckiest man in the world...

mward said:
This is the best reason to get a wife. This is from our honeymoon.

She has (right now) more bikes than I do, never says no to bike stuff, only says to make sure we can afford it right now. She's the best.
Congrats on the marriage. But seriously, you are a lucky lucky lucky man. First, any woman on a bike is automatically hot (not to imply your wife isn't off the bike). Second, she has more bikes than you. Third, never says no to bike stuff. Fourth, does she have a sister?

REEK

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I'm a big picture, long-term kinda guy. It's only a matter of time before wifey wakes up to the fact that I'm a complete imbecile. The day she leaves me, I'm ordering a titanium IF.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
She's a doll.

mward said:
No sisters. I waited till I was 34 to get married. That seriously weeds out the number of psychos. Psychos get married in their 20s. ;)
And she sounds like a real find, congrats. I'm coming up on my 14th anniversary so we must be doing something right. As much as I may groan about her cautious spending habits, I know I'm better off with her than a carbon copy of myself. If it was left to me, there would be even more high-end toys and with them, a hell of a lot more CC bills.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.