Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying ghetto tubeless with some pipe tape and some new tires (IRC Mythos) in order to drop some weight. The rear tire went together beautifully but I cannot get the bead to seat on the front. I am using a compressor but it just won't catch and inflate. Any suggestions to get the bead to catch and let the tire inflate?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'd suggest to put a tube in and inflate it to normal riding pressure, and let it sit overnight. In the morning, pull the tube out and pull off the tire. Re-try the seating process without the tube in, and it's likely it will work.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
As suggested, mount the tire with a tube and inflate to 50-60psi and let sit overnight or for a couple days. Then use soap; soap soap, soap the bejebus outta the tire bead and rim seat when installing. :thumbsup:

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slocaus said:
As suggested, mount the tire with a tube and inflate to 50-60psi and let sit overnight or for a couple days. Then use soap; soap soap, soap the bejebus outta the tire bead and rim seat when installing. :thumbsup:
Tell me about the technique for this. Do you just use soapwater? How do you apply it? Before or during the tire being inflated?

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
NMPhi767 said:
Tell me about the technique for this. Do you just use soapwater? How do you apply it? Before or after the tire is being inflated?
The Stan's NoTubes instructions are helpful for all tubeless setups.

Apply before to the tire beads and rim hook.

Note item #3 from here
Procedure
Mount your tire on the rim using a plastic tire lever; DO NOT use screwdrivers, metal tire levers, or sharp tools! Use the soap & water solution to cover the inner part of the tire and rim strip with soap suds, do not cover with too much liquid. This is the area where the air will escape during inflation (see photo 2). Hang the wheel to fully suspend the tire with the valve stem toward the top (see photo 3). Inflate to 10 psi with an air compressor or floor pump. The tire may now be leaking air; this is normal when inflating the tire without sealant and will be taken care of in step 5. Once you are comfortable inflating the tire, proceed to the next step.
Install movie. https://www.notubes.com/movieinstall.php

·
MTB Ninja
41 Posts
Try removing the valve core first (if you can).

If that doesnt work try water since it will eventually dry up and go away.

Use soap as a last resort. It doesnt leave the bead/rim interface until you wash it out by removing the tire and washing the bead and the rim. This is only for especially difficult seating. I still think this contributes to many of the anecdotal tubeless failures. Not as many as running too low pressure but a lot.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
paulbu said:
Try removing the valve core first (if you can).

If that doesnt work try water since it will eventually dry up and go away.

Use soap as a last resort. It doesnt leave the bead/rim interface until you wash it out by removing the tire and washing the bead and the rim. This is only for especially difficult seating. I still think this contributes to many of the anecdotal tubeless failures. Not as many as running too low pressure but a lot.
Interesting theory. My reality is that every tubeless problem I have seen was from not soaping the tire and rim before inflation. I have done 10 wheels of my own, many dozens for friends and customers. Those who are doing Stan's conversions have 100% success with soap and less than 50% success without soap, and I use the soap method to solve their failures. I just rinse the outside of the inflated tire and wheel with water after the final sealing, and never had a failure, never. Plus my installs are clean and smell mountain fresh. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.