Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
khs xc 704r or giant nrs 1 ? can't pull the trigger, please assist!

I'm finally going to take the plunge to FS...I will never give up the Bonty but I'm getting sick of my friends smoking me DH. Looking for a nice CC bike and only have $1k to spend. Norrowed to three bikes...03' KHS xc 704r for $900 or 03' Giant NRS 1 for $1k or I could squeeze my account a little harder for a 04' Giant NRS 1 for $1.2 K, all bikes new....

So whats the best bike and best deal?

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I would get the KHS. If you want a little more all mountain bike, Performance (and Supergo) both have the Iron Horse Hollowpoint sport for $1099 right now. Since you are in the City you can get to either with about a 30 minute drive (there is one of each on the peninsula).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input and the new info. I've always gone to Supergo in Santa Monica didn't even know they had a store in NorCal.

I'm also a cheap bastard that has to get a deal and paying retail for the Iron Horse is against my religion...the KHS and Giant are 50% off.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
sf_firestarter said:
thanks for the input and the new info. I've always gone to Supergo in Santa Monica didn't even know they had a store in NorCal.

I'm also a cheap bastard that has to get a deal and paying retail for the Iron Horse is against my religion...the KHS and Giant are 50% off.
If it makes you feel better, retail on the Iron horse is $1599 or $1699. If you compare the parts spec, I think you will be shocked at what you get for $1099 on sale. Rock Shox Duke fork, hayes hydro brakes, all name brand parts, no crap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
the khs is cool because it's race ready. and cheap. then again this is coming from a khs owner, so there is some opinion involved (but i've never been let down by mine!).

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Agree

CDMC said:
I would get the KHS. If you want a little more all mountain bike, Performance (and Supergo) both have the Iron Horse Hollowpoint sport for $1099 right now. Since you are in the City you can get to either with about a 30 minute drive (there is one of each on the peninsula).
For the sale price of $1099, there is no way in my mind you can get a better bike/components. The 2004 Hollowpoints are even improvied over the 2003s which already worked quite well. Plus, as CDMC indicates below, the parts spec will likely be unbeateable.

Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
been considering the same choices

Howdy,

Does anyone have any worries about buying an '03 KHS? I think it looks like a beautiful bike, as does the 904r, but they're almost 2 years old. I also think the "Hollowpoints" seem to be a great deal, especially when the spec is considered, but they just look heavy compared to the KHS and Giant models. Anybody know if the Hollowpoints are chunky say 30+ pounds? Light, less than 30 pounds?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Good question

pathfinder said:
Howdy,

Does anyone have any worries about buying an '03 KHS? I think it looks like a beautiful bike, as does the 904r, but they're almost 2 years old. I also think the "Hollowpoints" seem to be a great deal, especially when the spec is considered, but they just look heavy compared to the KHS and Giant models. Anybody know if the Hollowpoints are chunky say 30+ pounds? Light, less than 30 pounds?
I think KHS makes fine bikes. In particular, the 904. As much as I hate to "label" (ie, trailbike, freeride, etc.) bikes, I think it helps here.

The 904 is a race-ready true XC full suspension whereas the Hollowpoint is more of a trailbike. Certainly the high-end Hollowpoint has lighter parts and certainly could be raced but in general, are make more for all around riding. Not sure which Giant model you are referring to but the NRS series would also be in the true XC category with the 904.

I am not sure but my guess is that the Hollowpoint Sport (the one for $1099) is probably at about 31 pounds or so but this is a guess. However, if I recall correctly, the tires are much heavier than they need to be so you could probably very easily get it closer to the 30 lb mark.

If you plan to ride relatively non-technical riding with lots of fire-road climbing then a more XC oriented bike (as opposed to a trailbike) will be the better choice. If you plan on doing some drops and more technical riding then a trailbike (or all mountain or whatever people call it nowadays) will be a better choice. Only after you decide on what type of riding you will be doing should you then consider weight etc.. In addition to the generall difference in weight between these 2 types of bikes, the geometry is different so they will feel different as well (XC steeper/shorter wheelbase for climbing, trailbike slacker for more stability downhill and more upright riding position and of course much more plush).

If my memory serves me correctly, the 904r could be had at $1799 somewhere (I think pricepoint.com) which is in incredible deal if they are truly offering it as specd by KHS. Not sure if it is still available.

So I guess the bottom line is that more important than weight I would focus on the type of riding you will be doing (and more importanly planning on doing) and then narrow down the choices. My personal feeling is that most people go with the trailbike/all-mountain category which is typically 5" front and rear and dont need to (including myself....but the marketing got me!!). In my defense though, I do prefer the more upright riding position than you would get from a true XC bike but 5" travel is more than most people need most of the time. But the handicap for bad riding gained does make you feel safer.

Hopefully some of this answers your question.

Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the info...

I'm definitely a XC rider, so the Giant NRS 2, Spec. SJ Expert Disk and KHS 904-704 bikes interested me a lot. I could afford all but the Specialized ($2200). I guess I was thinking that if a long travel bike (ala Hollowpoint) was a little lighter I may consider it to replace my HT,partly because the price is so low. However, a 30+ pound bike would have to be a LOT more efficient pedaler to off set the 5 to 6 pound increase in weight, especially since most of the riding around here involves much climbing (mostly single/double track). I thought I was in the market for a new FS bike, but after much investigating for about 6 weeks I think I'm going to upgrade my HT a bit. I was actually really close to purchasing the 904r from pricepoint, but I couldn't convince myself there wasn't a catch. I mean it seems like it's too good a deal to be true and when dealing with mail order, it usually is. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now I'm even further from a decision...this is why I'm also still riding a HT. I like the more compact frame demensions of my Bontrager and thought I would look for the same in a FS. That is part of the reason I picked the 704r and NRS...I also want something that is lite with fully active rear suspension.

I guess I need to be more specific with my question...I'll be using the bike for all my riding, fireroads, singletrack, etc...Bonty is going single speed when I get the new bike. So regardless of price what is the better bike. 03' khs 704r or 04 giant nrs1?

Thanks again for the the great input.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nrs 1!

I would go with the NRS 1 mainly because it is newer. I also think I would like the disk brakes on the NRS 1. Another thing I have considered is why doesn't the 704r sell like crazy? I mean it seems to be a great bike. I think there may be something not exactly right with this bike. I almost bought an NRS 2 recently, but I have decided to wait until I can get an NRS 1. LBS says they cannot get one until new model year, can't even order one. BS probably, as they're having a really hard time selling the NRS 2 and the salesman was trying really hard to get me to buy it, couldn't say enough good things about it. I know it's a good bike, just not the one I want. About 8 weeks ago he was telling me I need to snap it up right now because it won't last. Well it was still there last week. Sorry for the rant, my main point was supposed to be don't hold your breath thinking the KHS is a really great deal. Oh yeah and if I'm to believe what I hear the NRS 1 is in the 26 pound range, close to my HT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thinking the same thing

I also had that thought, wondering why there seem to be all of these left over 03' KHS bikes. I've noticed this happening a few times with KHS in the past few years. I always liked their bikes though. I don't really want to spend a grand only to end up with a piece of crap, even if it did retail for $2k. I was hopping I would get some insight and information that I had not been aware of to assist in my decision.

As for your deal for the most part cost is 60% of retail so you might want to offer your LBS that. If he really needs to get rid of it he will cut you a deal. Although its not a 1 your going to have a ton of extra cash to upgrade or replace parts whenever stuff breaks....like insurance. Just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.