Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've bought a new frame Sonder Cortex and I'm trying to install the headset (zs44 zs56), but for some reason, I can't insert it with my hands, do I need a headset press or the headset is incompatible?

Headset: Tbest Fahrrad-Headset, CNC ZS44/ZS56 Fahrrad aus Aluminiumlegierung mit doppeltem Verwendungszweck, externes konisches Headset-Lager für Fahrräder : Amazon.de: Sport & Freizeit
Frame specs: https://eu.alpkit.com/products/sonder-cortex-frame-and-rs-deluxe-shock (could be found in the bottom area)

· Registered
821 Posts
You can't install the bearing cups into the frame by hand. You need a press (best solution), a home made press (threaded rod and a bunch of big washers) or a hammer and a block of wood (risky solution). Hammer and wooden block method is doable if you go slow and don't hammer it like you're Thor. Use the smallest taps you can get away with until the headset has started in straight and most of the way through. At the beginning when the headset cup has just started is the biggest risk of it turning and going in crooked. Inserting the head tube in a pot of boiling water and throwing the headset cup into the freezer can really help.

· jcd's best friend
3,677 Posts
You can purchase a 2-in-1 press. If you have press fit bottom bracket, you can use the same press for both the BB and headset. I bought a 2-in-1 press for $40 on Amazon and works perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.