Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
New rider here , bought my first bike recently Scott Genius (2014 i think) . Shortly after i noticed that on the right side of the frame im missing a ferrule on the upper hole . Because of that , the orange cable (4.3mm) was getting damaged and it also damage the carbon frame itself ( you can see a chip near the hole ) .
So in order to avoid damaging the frame continuously, ive decided to fix this issue and install that ferrule.
Yes i could take it to the local shop . But the shop is busy 3 weeks ahead and lost my trust in them as well , after telling me that i should change my chain since its 0.75 . After i cleaned the chain to its mint condition , ive checked it with Parks CC-4 and it shows that the chain is not even 0.5. ( will attach a pic as well in case i did something wrong while measuring). Also , im the guy who would love to handle this type of stuff on my own.

Back to ferrule . Took the cable out and tried to fit that ferrule . Hole too small , its diameter is as big as cables 4.3mm.
Tried to shave a bit the ferrule and the cable but both got too weak .

Is there a special technique to fit it ? Or if its impossible, then what are my options to install that twinloc to rear shock cable without damaging the frame while riding.
Why that hole is even there if its just 4mm... I mean , isnt the smallest cable housing 4mm as well ?

Thank you

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,323 Posts
if you mess that up and cause internal delamination so close to the headstack....bad

I would contact Scott and see what they recommend

carbon and ferrules are complcated...and internally there is usually more
layup or even fiberglass 'patches' to reinforce ferrule holes...but it is super
risky to go drilling them.

If you try to widen it, use a diamond grinding tip. nothing else...diamond will do the cleanest job

if you want to see carbon frames opened up to see what ferrules look like in CF frames check out some vids here, he slices open many frames...using a diamond cutter wheel

or this...of course not the same type of penetration but informative nonetheless

Reactions: Plantush

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Something is not adding up for me here....

Any chance you can grab a picture of the 'orange cable' where it used to go into the frame?
Is it the same stuff as shifter cable and they just stuck it in the frame and let the wire strands rub away at it?

:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something is not adding up for me here....

Any chance you can grab a picture of the 'orange cable' where it used to go into the frame?
Is it the same stuff as shifter cable and they just stuck it in the frame and let the wire strands rub away at it?

:confused:
Too bad i dont have any pic of how it was before me removing it ... And no , cable didnt get damage that bad to reach the wire strands . It was a slight damage to the housing top layer and the frame seams like got damaged from constant traction by turning left and right .

I cut that orange housing in 2 pieces (wanted to try something ) but saved the piece that went to the hole. Its Jagwire lex-sl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you try to widen it, use a diamond grinding tip. nothing else...diamond will do the cleanest job

if you want to see carbon frames opened up to see what ferrules look like in CF frames check out some vids here, he slices open many frames...using a diamond cutter wheel
Thank you sir , will take a look . Yes thought also about re-drilling that hole, but not sure if i should ... Maybe just to make external routing ? Dk have to decide , but first wanted to ask on this forum for thoughts .

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Too bad i dont have any pic of how it was before me removing it ... And no , cable didnt get damage that bad to reach the wire strands . It was a slight damage to the housing top layer and the frame seams like got damaged from constant traction by turning left and right .

I cut that orange housing in 2 pieces (wanted to try something ) but saved the piece that went to the hole. Its Jagwire lex-sl.
I'm still confused.
Ferrules are something that are used at the ends of cable housing, not the middle.

So the orange housing was one long continuous piece running into and back out of the frame (before you took it out and cut it)?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,323 Posts
I have incorrectly used the term ferrule here myself....oops

----

Put some Fur around it, that may help. old remedy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the orange housing was one long continuous piece running into and back out of the frame (before you took it out and cut it)?
Yes , heres is one pic .
Also , what is that one on lower hole ? Ferrule right ? Am i understanding correctly that the housing cable should reach the frame hole with the ferule , then from/thru the ferrule inside the frame should be just the wire until the exit hole .And at the exit we should add another piece of housing ?
As i said , im new to this and i cant find much info about this topic. Here to learn.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
If the housing ran all the way into and out of the frame originally, I'd assume that's how it should be.
Some bikes use rubber or plastic grommets at the holes to avoid the rubbing.

It does look like the shifter cable housing ends at a ferrule where it enters the frame, but I can't tell for sure.
It could be that the design of that particular bike calls for a different arrangement for those two cables.

Maybe someone with the same bike or who is more familiar with them will reply.

Internal routing sucks. :confused:

·
Registered
14,367 Posts
I don't believe you're looking at a ferulle at the lower port. I believe that's simply the butt end of the inner frame sleeve/routing/tubing.
That little chip in your paint is harmless. Back when frames routed internal cable that way without a door or window (larger opening with filler piece), that's what they did.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,809 Posts
I don't believe you're looking at a ferulle at the lower port. I believe that's simply the butt end of the inner frame sleeve/routing/tubing.
That little chip in your paint is harmless. Back when frames routed internal cable that way without a door or window (larger opening with filler piece), that's what they did.
Yep. You hit the nail on the head! Here's a pic of the bike with the full length cable running through. No ferrule.

OP, please don't screw up your nice frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Damn , that indeed looks like the paint , didnt expect it to be that tick tho . But the inner carbon seams to be intact ...

THANKS a lot everyone for replying and helping a nooby out ! U guys da best !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.