Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put some slicks on my ride. My OEM rims are WTB SpeedDiscs. They're 24mm wide.

I grabbed some cheap slicks from Performance. They're the Forté Metro(Item #50-7227B). They're 26" x 1.5". I can't get the things on the rim! I can get the first bead on the rim, of course. I can't get the second bead mounted to save my life.

Is there a trick? Some way to pre-stretch? Is there a special tool that helps? My thumbs are almost bleeding.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Try a pair of leather gloves to "roll" the last part in. They help me when I am changing the tires on my road bike, which are much more difficult to stretch over the rim.

Oh and don't use your thumbs so much...use your palms and roll the bead in.

I know it can get frustrating sometimes.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Typoman said:
I am trying to put some slicks on my ride. My OEM rims are WTB SpeedDiscs. They're 24mm wide.

I grabbed some cheap slicks from Performance. They're the Forté Metro(Item #50-7227B). They're 26" x 1.5". I can't get the things on the rim! I can get the first bead on the rim, of course. I can't get the second bead mounted to save my life.

Is there a trick? Some way to pre-stretch? Is there a special tool that helps? My thumbs are almost bleeding.
Levers? Levers? We Don't Need No Stinking Levers! (How to change a flat bicycle tire)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.