Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought might be able to set them up with just a floor pump because felt a lot sturdier out the box than the ignitors but no joy. So i trotted down to the garage (gas station) and used the compressor (removing the presta valve core) and although it seemed to seat the bead it didn't really, went as high a pressure as thought i could safely. couldnt get the compressor to work when replaced the core (unsurprisingly i guess) but its driving me crazy, how have others got on? are you using co2 or should i find a presta to shraeder adaptor cap and use that?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Here's what I did many months ago and no issues ever since. Go ahead and remove the tubeless valve and install/inflate the tire w/ a tube. Let it sit awhile. CAREULLY remove one side of the bead, remove tube and reinstall the valve and pour in some stan's and carefully reinstall the bead.

Reinflate and go ride. FYI this was on Crossmax29. The Mtn Kings I installed on my Arch's inflated w/ a floor pump.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"The Mtn Kings I installed on my Arch's inflated w/ a floor pump."

bloody hell! i might go with that rim in future.

Im using mustangs, i can only remove the core not the valve itself as its a stans strip :'(

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
fontmoss said:
"The Mtn Kings I installed on my Arch's inflated w/ a floor pump."

bloody hell! i might go with that rim in future.

Im using mustangs, i can only remove the core not the valve itself as its a stans strip :'(
Which Stan's strip are you using?

I am using Mustangs with Stans and have had no problem mounting tires alhtough I have not tried the mtn kings. I am using Stans 26" original strips over 1 layer electrical tape and 1 layer of strapping tape.

IRC mythos and notos, Bonty XR and ACX have all gone on well. I do prefer the set of TLR mustangs that I have but both work well with the same tires.

G

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
It sounds as if you are having issues with the bead seating up, yes?

If that is the case, try a solution of water and dish soap, (not a lot of water) and spread this liberally on the beads. Then try mounting the tire. You should be able to posistion the beads near where you want them to end up by hand. Then add your air. You shouldn't have to go above 40psi at all. The beads should snap in place and seal up well.

I used Stan's solution in my Mountain Kings and they sealed up quite well. Make sure to check the Stan's site www.notubes.com for tips on what to do when mounting the tires and how to seal them up. This was very helpful for me.

A ride or two, and you should be golden. Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive used plenty soapy solution from the start but think ill need to either find a bike shop thta has a compressor or find an adaptor to use the garage's one with my presta valve

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
You did pre-mount the tires with a tube though, didn't you? A fresh non-tubeless tire on a non-tubeless rim, that migh not be ideal.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Heh...yeah, I imagine you were looking for legitimate advice, and not my sarcastic soapbox ranting. I just wish none of us had to mess with this MacGyver stuff and could be riding the bike instead of jacking with a hokey tubeless conversion setup.

Speaking of MacGyver tricks, perhaps if you don't have an adapter, you could take an old Schrader tube, hack off the valve and leave a little apron left, and remove the schrader core, jam it over your Presta. Instant converter. Just a thought. :)

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
fontmoss said:
i did indeed sir, i think i just need to find a compressor i can use with a presta valve
You ought to be able to snag a presta to schrader adaptor at your LBS for about 49 cents. You just screw it on the presta valve and the gas station air hose will fit on it.

I do get a smile on my face envisioning you standing there trying to get air to go into your presta valve without the adaptor though. That was the single cause of your failed attempt to get the Kings mounted. 49 cents will take care of your woes.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
weird, bruce's post just came up as a new post in my email but its actually above canyons here?

anyways, yeah its true it was out of desperation- shops don't open on a sunday so couldnt buy an adaptor, my girlfriend was away so i was bored and the kings had arrived the day before, it's a tale of woe and heartache

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
fontmoss said:
weird, bruce's post just came up as a new post in my email but its actually above canyons here?
You have threaded mode on. Go to Display Modes above the first post and change to Linear Mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
fontmoss said:
thought might be able to set them up with just a floor pump because felt a lot sturdier out the box than the ignitors but no joy. So i trotted down to the garage (gas station) and used the compressor (removing the presta valve core) and although it seemed to seat the bead it didn't really, went as high a pressure as thought i could safely. couldnt get the compressor to work when replaced the core (unsurprisingly i guess) but its driving me crazy, how have others got on? are you usin

Use the tube as recommended and lots of soapy water. Make sure it seats before adding the Stans.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had issues with my mountain kings

they kept leaking air out of the sidewall!

beaded up well on brontrager mustangs, but one of the tires had an issue with the sidewall leaking. It was right in the area where there is the criss-cross threads.

end result was run a tube now

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had no issues installing Mtn Kings on my Stans 355s... in fact when i was messing around with them after i built the wheels up, i had one inflated straight out the box with no sealant for about 10 minutes! Compressor of course, always the easy option for tubeless.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
If you can not get the tire to seat with a floor pump use a compressor.

If the compressor does not do the trick step up to a co2.

Had a problem tire that would not seat with 120psi out of the compressor. Gave it a shot of co2 and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ditto for tube in for a day. But here's my success story: Take some nail clippers and get rid of those little ridges along the bead where it seats up against the rim, I don't know about your tires but mine came with an excess of material in this region. Lots of soap and water and without the valve core in, use the air chuck to blow air in, once it seats put your finger over the hole and then thread the valve core in. You won't loose that much air in the process. I Have 2 sets, a 2.2 and a 2.4 mounted to arch and flow rims, respectively. That was about 3 months ago. Haven't touched the 2.2's on the arches and had to top up the air on the 2.4's twice in that time period. 2.2's are on my wifes' bike and 2.4's on mine and they both see a couple hundred km's/week. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.