Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me why the Deore spider on my wife's two or three year old cbike won't accept a Shimano LX ring which, by the numbers, should fit? Even with the ruler the BCD is right on the money, so why is there extra material on the ring that precludes it mating to the spider?

I'm beginning to understand the Shimano hatred that so many of you espouse. Is this some subtle enforcement of their policy of planned obsolescence? I thought a 104 mm ring was a 104 mm ring. Gaaaahhhh!!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
some time there is minor interferences, even with non shimano rings... this problem you are having is not the "planned obsolescence".. when Shimano goes for that they make sure things really don't work together :p ....

Seriously though... some crankarms require a spacer or a thicker section of chainring at the spider to space things correctly, while others don't...so that could be part of the issue...

I have shifted chainrings between Hone, XT and Deore cranks without major issues...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done so in the past as well, putting LX rings on my older, first gen hollowtech, XT cranks with no problems. These LX rings are described as replacements for the current LX set. I bought them since they were cheaper than the rings described for my crankset, older LX etc. I guess you can't assume that just because the numbers say so that they will fit. Live and learn, yeah?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kris said:
This is why god invented the file.
True. I guess I won't have violated any "critical tolerances" as long as I can just jam the ring on there. But you'd have to be good, removing the same amount of material from near each bolt hole so that you can still line things up well with little wobble room.

On second thought, the file works well on dodgy derailleur hangers, but may be too much work on a ring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.