Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...

New dilema... I need to find a 1.5 headset that is Integrated, and without the 1 1/8 reducers... I googled, and searched, and hit up every on line bike store ( to my knowledge) and I can't find a 1.5 integrated headset that will take a 1.5 steeror tube; only ones with 1 /1/8 reducers. Closest I've found was the FSA Orbit Z 1.5... sucks!

Any and all tips that anyone has on this would be greatly apreciated,.. thanks.

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Do they even make that? Wouldn't leave very much room for the bearing...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought a mongoose black diamond triple frame and I didn't catch the fact that it took an integrated headset instead of a standard one... how shitty is that? WTF were they thinking doing that? aren't integrated headsets for roady/ goater bikes? maybe a few trail bikes, but other than that, I've never seen this **** before... its a real pisser.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Gravity Assist said:
I just bought a mongoose black diamond triple frame and I didn't catch the fact that it took an integrated headset instead of a standard one... how shitty is that? WTF were they thinking doing that? aren't integrated headsets for roady/ goater bikes? maybe a few trail bikes, but other than that, I've never seen this **** before... its a real pisser.

Are you sure it is a 1.5 headtube? 1.5 does not come in an intergrated or internal configuration. The 1.5 headsets are all external unless they are reducing to 1.125". In order for a frame to use a internal headset the headtube has to be a larger diameter than a 1.125" external. At first glance it would look almost the same size as a 1.5 headtube but it is not.
Do not confuse an internal headset and an integrated headset. An integrated headset uses the headtube as the bearing cups and an internal headset has cups the fit inside the tube. The internal headset is not weaker than a normal external headset and some would argue that it is stronger.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Just looked up the bike on their website.
The triple has a 1.5 headtube but is using a zerostack reducer headset. The extra large diameter of the 1.5 standard allows enough room for this zerostack reducer headset. This allows you to use a 1.125" fork and keep stack height low.

If you want to use a 1.5 fork you will have to buy an external 1.5 headset.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wormvine said:
Just looked up the bike on their website.
The triple has a 1.5 headtube but is using a zerostack reducer headset. The extra large diameter of the 1.5 standard allows enough room for this zerostack reducer headset. This allows you to use a 1.125" fork and keep stack height low.

If you want to use a 1.5 fork you will have to buy an external 1.5 headset.

I just got off the phone with them, and they told me that its integrated, and the only two people that make those headsets are cane creek, and FSA to fit them. Maybe the guy didn't know what he was talking about... who knows...

If that is true, then there is no problem... but if you go to the FSA web site, and click in the orbt z headset, it is integrated.. .and with that, there is no chance for an internal headset which would be what I need at this point...

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
Gravity Assist said:
I just got off the phone with them, and they told me that its integrated, and the only two people that make those headsets are cane creek, and FSA to fit them. Maybe the guy didn't know what he was talking about... who knows...

If that is true, then there is no problem... but if you go to the FSA web site, and click in the orbt z headset, it is integrated.. .and with that, there is no chance for an internal headset which would be what I need at this point...
Sounds like he meant semi-integrated which use a shaped cup that presses into the frame. Giant's use this style headset as well. (Reign X, Reign, Trance X ect.) If that's the case, you're stuck with 1.125. :rolleyes:

What year is the Mongoose? It must be a few years old since all the new models have 1.5 headtube...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: never mind... I figured it out.... I'm an idiot....

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
Gravity Assist said:
Ok, obviously I don't know as much as I thought I did. So, that being said, is this integrated, or zero stacked?
That would be a semi-integrated...

An integrated headset doesn't have bearing cups; they're welded into the frame... That has cups. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Uncle Cliffy said:
That would be a semi-integrated...

An integrated headset doesn't have bearing cups; they're welded into the frame... That has cups. :)

Yeah, It just through me off because its so damm small... nothing that resembles anything external.

sick, I'm going to get an FSA big fat pig and solve the problem... Thanks man.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts