Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering my first mountain bike within a week (after I go watch a race and see what everyone is riding). I can't decide between the Dirtbag or the Stinky. Price is an issue, and I do realize that there is six or seven hundered dollar gap. Because it is my first bike I am wondering if I will be able to tell the difference at first. I was thinking of buying the Stinky then upgrading it every couple of months as I get better, i.e. buying better fork, better drivetrain, etc. then transfering it to the Dirtbag frame. I was wondering if anyone has done this or recommends doing this. I really want a bike that I can pedal around the block during the week than beat the **** out of it during the weekend. If it helps I am 6'-0" at 175 lbs. and live in SoCal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
I think your best bet would be to buy used right now. You don't want to thrash a new Bike. This will help you decide what is best for you in the future with minimal cost now

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
dirtbag or stinky would be awesome for u. although i started on a mongoose (that i still have but is in pieces cuz i cant bear to toss the bike that started it all for me) i currently ride a stinky im also 6 feet but 155 pounds. it can really take a beating too, i drop to flat on it (but dont do it often) and it suks it up no prob. also, if u play with the rebound on the rear shok, u can also set it up real nice for dj as well

u wont be needin anything too big cuz ur just startin out right?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Chikity China said:
dirtbag or stinky would be awesome for u. although i started on a mongoose (that i still have but is in pieces cuz i cant bear to toss the bike that started it all for me) i currently ride a stinky im also 6 feet but 155 pounds. it can really take a beating too, i drop to flat on it (but dont do it often) and it suks it up no prob. also, if u play with the rebound on the rear shok, u can also set it up real nice for dj as well

u wont be needin anything too big cuz ur just startin out right?
I didnt know asians got so tall :confused: (excluding yao Ming of course ;) )

Once i get my stinky back from the shop it will be for sale, PM me for more info...

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
SMT said:
I think your best bet would be to buy used right now. You don't want to thrash a new Bike. This will help you decide what is best for you in the future with minimal cost now
thats probably a good idea...

then after about a year or so, when you know what you really want in a bike etc, you can get yourself a heaps better and suited bike for you...

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Like others have said, I'd probably go for a used bike. Although that said a used stink would be an excellent choice. The older ones have the geometry of a trail bike and can be used for xc-dh, and the new ones can climb fairly well as well. Also with used you can save a lot of money and get a pretty damn good build instead of an average one where you're cutting corners on things.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i was in the same crunch as u, but i decided the dirtbag was the way to go. the components are better in my oppinion. cant beat the customer service. awsome bieks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem with buying used...

The only thing that I have a problem with buying used is the fact that I can get the Kona at dealer cost. I'm not 100% sure what that is but I am almost positive that it is more than a couple hundred savings. For the Kona I'm thinking around 1000-1200. Now the price that they are selling used is that or more. I realize that most of them have better parts on it but I don't think I will be able to notice the difference on a different seat, grips, bars, seat post, etc. For the Dirtbag that is a different story. Because that don't distribute to different dealers in the U.S. I don't think that I would be able to get the Transition bikes at dealer cost. Plus if I don't know how long I will keep the bike. It might be six months it might be five years. Since I am starting out I don't think that I will be as agressive as some of you guys out there, I don't plan on doing huge drops or jumps I just like to go fast.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
wheelman said:
The only thing that I have a problem with buying used is the fact that I can get the Kona at dealer cost. I'm not 100% sure what that is but I am almost positive that it is more than a couple hundred savings. For the Kona I'm thinking around 1000-1200. Now the price that they are selling used is that or more. I realize that most of them have better parts on it but I don't think I will be able to notice the difference on a different seat, grips, bars, seat post, etc. For the Dirtbag that is a different story. Because that don't distribute to different dealers in the U.S. I don't think that I would be able to get the Transition bikes at dealer cost. Plus if I don't know how long I will keep the bike. It might be six months it might be five years. Since I am starting out I don't think that I will be as agressive as some of you guys out there, I don't plan on doing huge drops or jumps I just like to go fast.
Well if you can get cost you sure as hell oughta get it new. :D Compare the parts and read reviews, if you can get the Stinky for a TON less then go for it. You'll enjoy it and it'll be a great platform.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Heres what I would do, I would buy a Norco Sasquatch Hardtail. Then in a year or so if I decided that I for sure wanted a DS I would up grade to one. A Norco hardtail will allow you to do a variety of different types of riding, from Trail to FR Parks and from Street to DJ's. And you will have the same components the Kona has all excepte you won't have a rear shock. Simple and easy perfect for a beginner or a pro at that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
wheelman said:
The only thing that I have a problem with buying used is the fact that I can get the Kona at dealer cost. ....
Since I am starting out I don't think that I will be as agressive as some of you guys out there, I don't plan on doing huge drops or jumps I just like to go fast.
My first 'freeride' bike was a Stinky.
It was the perfect bike to get started, the frame is a great 'platform' to upgrade.
I think I broke or replaced almost everything on my Stinky except the frame and the seat clamp in the 2 years I rode it.

You will have to do some absurd stuff to break the frame, so don't worry about that.
Stinky's are nice bikes, especially when you get them at dealer cost.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Red Bull said:
I didnt know asians got so tall :confused: (excluding yao Ming of course ;) )

Once i get my stinky back from the shop it will be for sale, PM me for more info...
i.........hate..............you.............. :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Definitely take advantage of the deal you can get with the Stinky. Ride it stock for a season and you'll love it as a first bike. I'm not sure that I would bother upgrading "every couple of months" though. The Stinky is an okay frame, but there are a lot better out there, and you'll probably figure that out by the end of your first season. I'd sell the bike at that point, and get something that will suit your particular needs.

If you think that you will stick with a Stinky for a couple of years or so, save up your pennies now and get the Deelux or Primo off the bat, it's way cheaper than slowly upgrading later.

Good luck with your decision

1 - 13 of 13 Posts