Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
What It Be ?
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So help me out here boys. I have a Tang Air9 frame I'm buidling up. As well as a set of black Chris King hubs sitting here. I cannot decide what color spokes and nipples to go with. My wheelbuilder says alloys suck. Yes I searched and its a mixed bag on results on brass versus alloy. He will build with alloys so thats not an issue.

I'd like to go with orange nipples and silver spokes with black Arch rims. Anybody build those up and have some pictures?

Thanks.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
ChrisJ said:
So help me out here boys. I have a Tang Air9 frame I'm buidling up. As well as a set of black Chris King hubs sitting here. I cannot decide what color spokes and nipples to go with. My wheelbuilder says alloys suck. Yes I searched and its a mixed bag on results on brass versus alloy. He will build with alloys so thats not an issue.

I'd like to go with orange nipples and silver spokes with black Arch rims. Anybody build those up and have some pictures?

Thanks.
I don't totally agree with the builder, but I only run brass for the durability over the long-haul(mainly for truing, as they don't strip as easy). I also think the color nipples are a little over-board. That said, I think the setup will look sweet. Silver spokes will be a good choice.

No photos here though.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I would actually refute your wheel builders opinion. I have been using alloy nipples for years as a clydesdale and have yet to ever experience one single nipple failure from standard wear and tear. It's not a weight weenie thing at all, here is why I prefer alloy...sticks in spokes happen. I've seen many a brass nipple actually pull out of a rim which destroys the rim. Alloy nipples are more likely to fail so the rim is not destroyed. I have actually gotten a 2" diameter branch in my spokes at high speed that broke half my nipples (16) and was able to rebuild that rim!

Since you using a non-eyeleted rim, just make sure your anti-alloy wheel builder knows he needs to lube the nipples at the contact point with the rim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts