Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 5'11" about 200 lbs. and ride mainly aggressive XC in SoCal. Torn between Blur LT and Titus ML. Leaning toward the ML because of the 4-5" option, maybe a bit stiffer (and a better shock leverage ratio on the ML vs BLT) and not having quite as much maintenance with the pivots. But, there are no Titus dealers nearby that I can test ride the ML at and there's something abut the BLT that I always come back to. Has anyone ridden both bikes? Any input you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
This is just my opinion. Take the adjustable suspension out of the decision, unless you are really sure you're going to use it for two different applications, like racing and some other. I have a bike with adjustable travel and have changed it exactly 0 times. I'm partial to Titus, but the Blur is a nice ride too. <--know that doesn't help.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well

I am in the same boat and have decided to get the ML. Haven't been able to ride one yet, but after talking to several people (in addition to this board) I am sold. I got to ride the blur as a friend has one and while he loves it---i was not impressed at all! In fact i prefered getting back on my c-dale!

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,286 Posts
The Moto Lite is an awesome bike, I've had it for around 4 months and I'm very impressed by it. It is a very well built bike, and it is very good for rough sections.

The blur looks nice, I haven't ridden it, so I can't honestly compare it, but I think that the ML will take more abuse than the Blur.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Moto all the way

I have heard alot of good things about both bikes but I think the Moto lite is one of the best bikes on the market particularly if you go exogrid.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Gotta go Moto.

My ML is the best bike I have ever been on. It feels more like an extenion of my on body than I thought possible. Now I know what people mean when they say that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No love for the BLT?

blackagness said:
My ML is the best bike I have ever been on. It feels more like an extenion of my on body than I thought possible. Now I know what people mean when they say that.
Wow, clean sweep for the ML so far. I guess my only reservation about the ML is that I can't ride one without having to buy one first. The Blur LT is in most shops and a test ride is pretty easy to come by.
Where did all of you ML guys buy your bike? Also, what fork is everyone using?
Thanks!

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,286 Posts
CraterMaker said:
Wow, clean sweep for the ML so far. I guess my only reservation about the ML is that I can't ride one without having to buy one first. The Blur LT is in most shops and a test ride is pretty easy to come by.
Thanks!
I think the Blur LT is a pretty nice bike, which I also considered. It would have been for me an easier to get bike in Mexico, but I just thought that the ML was a better bike for what I wanted.

I bought it from Speedgoat.com, which IMHO is an excelent shop and you can build your bike pretty much as you wish and it has good pricing for a full build.

I'm using a Fox Talas, which is wonderfull, but I also considered a RS Pike. Probably the RS Revelation is a good alternative.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Fork

CraterMaker said:
Thanks!
I'm running an 05 Talas RLC. The general consenses seems to be the Talas, unless you've got a particular favorite fork in minde. I myself am looking forward to mabye being able to try a pike on there some time.

·
Registered
535 Posts
ML but check the fit

I own a '05 medium ML and absolutely love the bike. Extremely well balanced, the geometry is spot on for a trailbike.
I mostly ride it in plush 5' rear travel mode but it has a much more "racey" feel in 4', would be ideal for the odd enduro race.
Fit is vital so try to test ride or at least check the fit on both bikes.
Fox Vanilla '05 RLC set at 120mm suits my ML just fine.
The Blur LT is a very well rated bike, I haven't ridden one myself.

·
I dig trails!
5,575 Posts
CraterMaker said:
Thanks!
Try that VPP linkage, it's the real deal.

Also, you live in SoCal. Mud and water getting into the pivot bearings is not really an issue down there.

Get a ride on a VPP, or DW machine and see what it is about. Stand and hammer.

Note! it is essential that you set up a VPP at 30% sag or the benefits are null and void. Proper set up or the ride will stink. It's why initial reviews are not favorable.

Mr. P

·
&#3232;_&#3232;
3,190 Posts
I bought my Moto-lite untested and I've been really happy.

If you're down here in Orange County and want to buy from a LBS, there is none better than The Bike Company in Lake Forest. They just started carrying Titus; in fact one of the owners just built a ML up for himself a couple of days ago.

If you're a cheapass like myself, then go with Red Barn Bicycles. Chad is very cool, and his prices are eBay cheap.

Good luck and enjoy, it's a phenomenal bike!

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
ML more versitle

dulyebr good to hear you like your bike, few compare to the Moto-Lite ride overall at any price that I've tested.

I haven't ridden the LT version, but the travel isn't much longer than the Blur I tested in Moab. The Blur is awesome in most XC conditions especially long steady climbs. It corners and handles great. It's pedals very smooth but has this weird feeling stall in the pedals when the suspension cycles deep in travel in really rough, Moab like, conditions. Its due to the progressively growing chain stay length deeper in travel, increasing chain tension resistance. The Intense VPP 5.5 design never gets into that range of travel in the same pedaling condition and doesn't produce that trait so noticeably like I felt on the Blur. The Nomad may not either.

The ML pedals extremely smooth, nearly as smooth as VPP and the ML also has a snappier more energy efficient acceleration feel, more similar to VPP compared to the mushier pedaling lower monopivot or ICT types and doesn't stall the pedals in big bump conditions that the shorter travel VPP does.

My interest in handling and pedal feel in very rocky desert conditions would favor the ML. The Blur works great too especially on smoother to moderately rough conditions typical of most singletrack and most California riding. More extremely rough conditions favor the ML suspension type. Both are great bikes for California riding conditions.

- ray

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
derby,

I enjoy your posts and the insight you bring to suspension technology.

Maybe we can get our famous Mexican friend to help us get a Suspension Forum.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
All Mountain said:
derby,

I enjoy your posts and the insight you bring to suspension technology.

Maybe we can get our famous Mexican friend to help us get a Suspension Forum.
Thanks. Some of the appeal of posting suspension theory in different forums is to gain a wide audience, which brings new questions and perspectives.

That is a good idea to have a forum that is dedicated to suspension. "Shocks" isn't everything there is to suspension.

And a few people in the existing forms object when a suspension theory thread lights up. It would be a place to move to continue in more depth. And it would be a place that would provide better search results on topics for those researching the subject.

I'm just very thankful MTBR has been successful for so long. I've learned so much here, and continue to.

- ray

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went with the ML

Thanks to everyone for their help and input. I really like SC as a company and I think the BLT is a great bike, but my favorite MTB was a HH 100x that I sold a couple of years ago. I always thought that if it had just a bit more travel it would be a perfect bike so I just felt better about going with the ML. I'm going to post a detailed review over in the Titus board. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Suspension Forum

I agree, shocks doesn't cut it anymore. We need a Suspension Forum to consolidate the information. It is really getting spread out too much lately. Bike company's are really investing heavily on suspension technology, and it is hard for the buyer to decide what is right for their needs. If there are objections to suspension theory threads, those people will have to get used to it. From now on, questions will be raised more and more. I'm a structural engineer and enjoy learning about this topic. I have to get used to things moving! I have been working on FEA for a custom frame design, but the suspension part is complicated!

derby said:
Thanks. Some of the appeal of posting suspension theory in different forums is to gain a wide audience, which brings new questions and perspectives.

That is a good idea to have a forum that is dedicated to suspension. "Shocks" isn't everything there is to suspension.

And a few people in the existing forms object when a suspension theory thread lights up. It would be a place to move to continue in more depth. And it would be a place that would provide better search results on topics for those researching the subject.

I'm just very thankful MTBR has been successful for so long. I've learned so much here, and continue to.

- ray

1 - 20 of 22 Posts