Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hancock
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new bike this summer and and a LBS suggested that a 29er is the way to go with my size and height. I'm 6'1 and weigh 270 lbs (in a muscular football build), my goal is to drop about 40 - 50 lbs while exercising and dieting. My priority of riding will be mostly trails, some road and a little off road every now and then, basically fitness and exercising. I am currently training to ride (100 miles over 2 days) in the Tour de Canal bike ride fundraiser to benefit the Alzheimer's Association. My budget is in the $800's. At the moment, I am considering the Fisher Cobia, and the Fuji Tahoe Pro. I have test ridden both bikes and I am just about equally satisfied with the feel of both. Any thoughts?

Each bike is being sold at a different LBS. The Fuji Tahoe Pro (21"), sold at Performance Bicycle, is on sale for $999, but I've negotiated the price down to $850. The Fisher Cobia (19" in which I think I can be in a 21"), being sold at Hudson Trail Outfitters, is on sale for $899 with no more negotiating room. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
have you considered single speed? i really love my redline, and i am 6'3 265 now. It really makes you push harder in some spots you wouldn't normally. If i was buying a bike for training purposes i would put some thought into a ss.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Both bikes are probably good chocies for value.

I would identify some decision parameters, and focus on your impressive body style. Especially as you have no budget for upgrades.
- Which bike has the strongest rear wheel? Others on ehre may be able to offer insight on that.
- Which the most burly frame (Fisher is quite high-end, thus light, thus possibly too light.
- Fork, to some extent, if even different between the two.

For me it would be clear, I want the Fisher for various geeky reasons. As a first 29"er, and to get a good workout, probably less important to you today.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
kward said:
I'm looking to buy a new bike this summer and and a LBS suggested that a 29er is the way to go with my size and height. I'm 6'1 and weigh 270 lbs (in a muscular football build), my goal is to drop about 40 - 50 lbs while exercising and dieting. My priority of riding will be mostly trails, some road and a little off road every now and then, basically fitness and exercising. I am currently training to ride (100 miles over 2 days) in the Tour de Canal bike ride fundraiser to benefit the Alzheimer's Association. My budget is in the $800's. At the moment, I am considering the Fisher Cobia, and the Fuji Tahoe Pro. I have test ridden both bikes and I am just about equally satisfied with the feel of both. Any thoughts?

Each bike is being sold at a different LBS. The Fuji Tahoe Pro (21"), sold at Performance Bicycle, is on sale for $999, but I've negotiated the price down to $850. The Fisher Cobia (19" in which I think I can be in a 21"), being sold at Hudson Trail Outfitters, is on sale for $899 with no more negotiating room. Thanks!
I would make sure, if it were me, that I was buying the correct size and fit as the number one criteria. I assume you have tried both of them out at the respective shops. Which one "feels" the best to you in terms of fit? How about handling? Does the turning of the Cobia feel crisper to you over the Tahoe, or about the same?

Components look pretty good on the Fuji to get the nod, but maybe somebody else could comment on the WTB Speed Disc wheels vs. the Bontrager Ranger Disc wheels in terms of which would be more "supportive" for your 270 lbs.

BB

·
Holy Land Rider.
111 Posts
i have the paragon
and i am happy with it
i love the handeling of it

so frame-wise i's go with the fisher.
MARIN ALPIN is a nice model too
will be well suited for spinning without too much tech.
very attractive price tag also

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would suggest the Fisher, they use the same frame on the X-Cal and Paragon. Also a great platform to start with upgrades. IMHO Fishers are designed for a lighter rider, hell I only weigh 165, and beat the hell out of mine and its held up great thus far. But the idea of a lifetime warranty on the frame is what had me sold.

·
Hancock
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all to the helpful comments, I really appreciate it. I think that it kind'da boils down to several things. The cost and components, the components look pretty good and better on the Fuji. I also think the LBS is giving me a real good deal on the Fuji as apposed to other LBS's in the area that are selling it for at least $200 more from my price research & comparison. I don't know which bike has the strongest rear wheel between the two, does anyone know this?

In my test drive, the turning of both the Cobia the Tahoe felt about the same. I thought that the Tahoe "felt" the best to me in terms of fit? There was something wired about the fit of the handlebars on the Cobia.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
As another poster said, Singlespeed IS a thing you might consider. A guaranteed work-out, not necessarily slower (at all), the bikes start out at a much lower price point, and several have really strong frames.

I own a self-built Redline Monocog, and it's the most efficient pedaling bike I've owned. Tougher than me, liekly also tougher than you. Lots of steel in the frame, and that is good if you're a strong fellow.
An upgrade might be a suspension fork. Some heavy-steel bikes may come with suspension and/or gears. Check out Redline for sure, most shops can supply it, coming from a major distributor.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
At your weight and strength you need an overbuilt frame that makes no pretense of being light.
It could be aluminum or steel but I think a stoutly built steel bike like a Redline would suit you best.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would not worry to much about frame strength to much. Looks like either way you are looking at a quality bike. You described you future ridding as mostly fitness and some off road. Well, I weighed 280-300 lbs and beet the snot out of aTrek for ten years on east coast singletack before it broke, (ten years) one bike. I am now at 240lbs and am on a GF X-Caliber. I love this bike and ride it real hard, so far no probelms. This has the same frame as the Cobia. 2008 models have a more beefed up frame around the seat tube / top tube. FYI. As far as size; I am 6-00 tall and have a 19 inch GF. Have fun:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.