Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get a coil shock for my medium nomad i am running a 36 RC2 float in front. The CCDB is out of the question because i dont feel comfortable robbing pensioners to pay for it ;)
my riding style is aggressive and i feel the need to have better grip on the back wheel for steep descents and north shore stuff. i currently have the DHX 5.0 air.

So !! i have a choice of either the rock shocks vivid or the rocco tst coil. I am leaning to the Rocco because it does have a lock out for getting up the hill because in south africa there is a shortage of ski lifts and a shortage of snow having 80% desert coving the country. The thing that attracts me to the Vivid is the variety of settings concerning high and low speed compression and the rubber adjusters + the price is pretty good to. any one running a vivid on a nomad ? :skep:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I'd bet the action on the new Vivid is similar to my PUSH'd Vanilla RC piggyback coil with more external adjustment. I and others have not found the Nomad to need platforms and lockouts for the most part...but your situation may vary. The Vivid design looks simple and effective. I'd be leary of the TST system in the Rocco, but honestly my opinion there is based on the headaches quite a few people have had with the TST in the forks...probably not a fair comparison. The Vivid is probably cheaper too, isn't it? Anyway, the Nomad seems to work for just about everyone with a good, simple rear shock. The only priority IMO is having a piggyback to provide a wider array of tuning.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I too would be leary of the TST. I have (currently my spare shock on my meastro/dwlink glory) and it blows. The TST does F*** all to actually help pedaling, it just makes compression harsh when you decend which is when you notice you forgot to turn it off. The "lockout" also blows, it leaves just enough play to be pretty worthless as far as pedaling efficiency - a well setup shock pedals better then it.

The ability to distinguish between high speed comp and low speed comp is worthwhile. Another thing the TST doesn't have - pump the piggy back full of air, and it might pedal ok, but screw bump absorbtion (big or small), cause its harsh as hell (although it'll no longer pack up). I'm gonna hold off railing on it for being non-customizable, because from everything I hear it has alot of oil flow, and you can mess with the shims to make it fairly customizable. If you like playing with the internal valving of your shock, short of a CCDB its a pretty good choice. If you like using the adjustments they gave you, don't get one.

I have an evolver now, and absolutely love it. Pedals way better, light weight, very adjustable, and its held up for pretty intense downhill so far, so i'm loving it.

If you're done with airshocks, a vivid or DHX5 sounds like a good choice

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i hear you, the thing is the price ... i get most of my stuff from chainreactioncycles which beats all the local suppliers with prices on various parts, but chainreaction does not have the dhx so the next best thing to buy is the vivid or rocco world cup ? i did get offered the vanilla by my local bike shop but SA does not have Pushed or TST.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah conga, if I were choosing between the Marz WC or TST, I'd definitely choose the WC. I don't think I've heard anyone with anything negative on the WC on a Nomad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
AFAIK they don't. Seems like they see it as a bit of a lost cause.....
Might be worth e-mailing them though to ask. I for one would be keen to have them fiddle with my DHXair - there seems to be quite a few folks out there that feel the same.

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TNC said:
Yeah conga, if I were choosing between the Marz WC or TST, I'd definitely choose the WC. I don't think I've heard anyone with anything negative on the WC on a Nomad.
ya one more problem .. i dont think they have my size ..

please correct me if i am wrong.
i weigh 183 lbs with all my equipment on i like to hit rock gardens at speed, stepdowns, northshore and AM so form my nomad i need the following:-

for the vivid
216mm - 63.5mm Stroke
350lbs x 216/222mm (63/70mm Stroke) spring ?

the wrong size ?
Marzocchi Roco RC WC
222mm - 70mm Stroke (the only one they have)
2.25" x 400 Lbs x 116mm Free Length spring

this is getting confusing . . . . . .. ? :skep:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.