Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Cannot screw in an avid bb7 front disc caliper to the 2009 reba fork. They forks are post mount, so I removed the IS adapter from the bb7, however, the screws themselves don't srew in...not sure what to do...?

·
fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
448 Posts
Takes a bit of fiddling to get them in. I had the same deal with my Avid brakes on my 09 Reba too.

Just keep trying and attempt to make sure they're going in straight (all though that's really hard to determine with the short mount).

And the threadlocker on the Avid bolts can make them sticky too.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I had the same thing just happen on my 09 reba. They didn't clean up from the paint/pc process & the threads are a mess!!! :(

I filed off the residue on mine & re-tapped it to clean out the rest. Works fine now...however, it's obviously not the way it should have been prior to sale.:nono: :madmax:

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Just so I'm clear on this issue... Paint over-spray inside the post mount threads prevents the caliper bolts from screwing in?

I should be receiving my 2009 Reba SL from the man in brown today. I'll check mine to see if the caliper bolts thread in easily and if not I'll hit up a LBS to have the post mounts re-tapped.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
While I realize it is a buzz kill for you when you have a new fork and you can not get something threaded in due to over spray, or buggered threads, this is a very, very common occurance with frames and components. I'm not saying it is right, just saying....;)

It's part of the deal when you wrench on your own stuff. I guess I may be jaded from years of wrenching at a shop, but this isn't that big a deal in my mind.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
The threads have some paint in them. If you can get the bolt started, just thread in two turns and back off a turn until you get all the way in. If the resistance becomes too great, remove the bolt, clean off the paint, and go at it again. Some lube isn't a bad idea. If you can't get it to start, go with a tap. This is very common on most threads were the part is painted or powdercoated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.