Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry to say I have yet another "help me make up my mind on which bike to buy" thread. The quick background and what I'm looking for....I've had a mtb forever but only been riding consistently for a couple years. I have a hard tail right now but I would like to add to the stable and a rigid ss seems to speak to me the most. I just ride singletrack and I'll be the first to say I'm not the strongest rider around. I'm tall and skinny and I have a hard time throwing a near 30lb bike around. So weight is a major factor in deciding which bike to buy. The closer to 20lbs the better. Price is of course a factor as well, $1000 give or take a few hundred. I'll probably have to go with an aluminum frame for the weight reasons.

So I've searched and searched for some real world feedback on the new Trail SS but I can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have one? Or even ridden one? I can't even find a weight on them.
There is only one Cannondale dealer in my area and of course they don't and won't have one in stock.

I've seen plenty on the new Crave and it seems like a pretty nice bike for the money. And it's definitely in the weight range I'd like to be in.

Any info on these two bikes or suggestions on another would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I test rode a crave SL but was not impressed, not sure why. I think it just felt like "a bike" and didn't really offer an experience that was outright enjoyable. I don't think there was anything wrong with it, I just wanted to love it and I didn't. I don't know if it was the stay length, or the headtube angle, or the simplicity of the ride.

I have been doing some digging, and it looks like you may be able to get it down to 434mm, with the eBB rotated all the way back, if you're crafty. That might liven up the steering, and make the thing funnerer to ride.

PS, the chisel fork is awesome. It really took some of the sting out of sidewalk cracks and such. I wish it had a 15mm, just for compatibility reasons, but I wouldn't hesitate to ride that fork on any trail.

·
Gotta pay to play
684 Posts
My suggestion would be to wait for something used on craigslist or ebay. Tons of people get the SS bug like you currently are, buy one, and then sell them a year or so after when they lose the itch. You should be benefiting from their inability to be awesome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My suggestion would be to wait for something used on craigslist or ebay. Tons of people get the SS bug like you currently are, buy one, and then sell them a year or so after when they lose the itch. You should be benefiting from their inability to be awesome.
I like this idea. I just picked up a Litespeed Pisgah and a Castellano Fango from a guy on craigslist yesterday. He had them in his garage for the last three years taking up space and sold them both real cheap. I'm thinking about making one of these ss and selling the other to pay for the whole project. An under 20 pound ti Litespeed is sounding pretty good even though it's a 26er. I'm sure I could make it 650b without too much trouble though.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I like this idea. I just picked up a Litespeed Pisgah and a Castellano Fango from a guy on craigslist yesterday. He had them in his garage for the last three years taking up space and sold them both real cheap. I'm thinking about making one of these ss and selling the other to pay for the whole project. An under 20 pound ti Litespeed is sounding pretty good even though it's a 26er. I'm sure I could make it 650b without too much trouble though.
Don't be so sure about 650b. Lots of frame do not have the clearance for 650. I'm assuming it's disc, otherwise, you have brake issues to deal with. I would throw a White Bro Rock Solid fork on there, convert using tensioner or magic gear, and have fun on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a 2013 cannondale ss late in the season last yr and love it. I put about 300 miles on it mostly trail, with no issues. I think the bike store weighed it at 24 lbs w pedals and bag w/ spare tubes etc. I can weigh it tomorrow and post a pic. I picked it up used in mint condition for $600 and it came with clipless pedals. Where are you located?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like my 2014 Crave, I have been able to get it to 20.07 Lbs by changing out the wheels and adding XT pedals. With that said, the stock rear hub was noisy, not sure if it was defective but specialized ended up crediting me toward a new set.

The lighter wheels did really awaken the bikes handling and acceleration. Was able to go from the stock 32/20 to 32/18 while riding the same trails.

Overall, nice ride, but expect to make some upgrades eventually.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good looking Cannondale Mike5250, I'd like to hear the weight if you get a chance to put it on the scale. I hope I can find a deal like you did. I ended up selling the Litespeed I picked up instead of making it my project bike so I'm looking hard for a deal on cl. If I can't find one and get sick of waiting I'll have to decide between a new Crave and Trail.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the price I don't think you can beat what the cannondale has to offer. I've set mine up as a dingle speed and I managed to get my hands on a cheap knard/rabbit hole setup, it rides like a dream.
View attachment 884474
Do you have a pic of the fork clearance from any other positions? I have a krampus now but I have been looking at adding the trail ss to my collection. It would be cool to swap my big front wheel on to change it up

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
I like my Redline Monocog. It's not 20 lbs, but it was only $700, lots of fun to ride! Nice solid frame. Can take some abuse. Considering I manage to crash the thing on a regular basis and have yet to put more than a few scuffs on the paint! It's closer to 30lbs however. But in your price range, your best bet is to wait on CL for something light to pop up. For a grand I doubt you can get even close to 20 lbs buying new.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I just picked up a barely used 2013 Cannondale. Immediate changes are BB7 brakes and levers, lighter crank, Surly 17T cog, lighter tires and tubes (Conti 2.4 X King front, 2.2 Race King rear), flat bars, seat post and saddle. Except for the brakes and crank (triple to be converted to single), which were $160 total on close-out, I had all the parts. It looks like a 1 to 1.5 pound drop. I hope to have it done mid-week. I am looking into getting the East Coast Tandems EBB mod done as a preventative measure as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just weighed my bike(xl) and it came in at 24.4 lbs with stock wheels. With aftermarket wheels and nobby nic tires weight was 22.8lbs. Not sure how accurate household scale is but should be close. I also have shimano deore 615 brakes, carbon handle bar, and crankbrother candy pedals which shouldn't effect weight much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a good deal but definitely far away. Too far to drive to pick it up anyway. I'm leaning towards the Trail now. And thank you slowhead for the weight on the 2014. If only someone in my area had one I could ride and see how it fits me. If I can't find a good deal on a used one it will be hard to drop close to a thousand bucks at the lbs without even being able to ride one around first.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.