Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have questions regarding my bike which I settled on 2 days ago.

Its a 2011 Cannondale trail 5.

Specs:
Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front suspension
item ID 22371

Fork Brand & Model RST Gila Pro TnL, 100mm travel
Fork Material Alloy, Single crown

Component Group Mountain Mix
Brakeset Promax Orange brakes, Cannondale levers
Shift Levers Shimano Alivio
Front Derailleur Shimano FD-M311
Rear Derailleur Shimano Alivio
Crankset Shimano FC-M311, 22/32/42 teeth
Pedals FPD platform w/steel cage
Bottom Bracket Tange Seiki LN-3912
Rear Cogs 8-speed, 12 - 32 teeth
Chain KMC Z-72
Seatpost Cannondale C4, 31.6mm diameter
Saddle Cannondale Stage 2
Handlebar Cannondale C4 riser
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem Cannondale C4
Headset Tange ER2 Slim Stack

Wheels
Hubs Front: Formula DC20, Rear: Formula DC22
Rims Alex DC4.5, 32-hole
Tires 26 x 2.1" Kenda Small Block 8
Spoke Brand Stainless, 15ga. (1.8mm) butted
Spoke Nipples Unspecified

-------------------------------------

Ok a few questions

1: I am new to biking as an adult. I bought the bike mostly for long rides on rough sidewalk/road conditions (15-20 mile rides 3 times a week), with some light to medium trail applications and jumping. I had originally bough a Mongoose deception and broke it in 3 days . So after reading on here I picked a few bikes to look at and decided on this cannondale.

Im wondering what improvements I can do to it to enhance its street riding qualities without taking away from any of the mountainbike ruggedness.

Things that will make it Roll better/Pedal better but still be able to take a little beating.

And if you could suggest them in order of most bang for the buck type items.

I was looking at Shimano SLX sets. Not sure how much that would help by upgrading all those items. The price was only l.ike 450 so its not that much for a bike I will have for awhile. ALTHOUGH all the sets I see are 9 and 10 speed and my bike is 8. Will my bike frame allow me to upgrade to a bigger cassette and if so would there be a noticable difference with perfomance both off and ON road.

Would upgrading my wheels offer a considerable better riding experience?

I already posted thsi in the cannondale forums and got one person advice on getting bar ends....Im not looking for that type of advice.

Im aware that bar ends and a seat would make my day possibly more comfortable. Im looking at making my mountain bike work better on the road without taking away from the mountain bike.

Any help would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Bar ends.

Seriously. Use 'em on climbs off-road too.

A rigid fork would improve both road and off-road performance. A better suspension fork would too, but for significantly more money.

You really can't improve a MTB's road performance without screwing up its off-road performance, beyond that.

You can do stuff like swapping tires, although I'm too lazy. Depending on where you are, a lower-knob tire may not screw up off-road performance as much as it improves road performance.

As soon as your budget for this kind of tuning hits three figures, you're better off buying a road bike from Craig's List or a used shop, setting it up to be good on pavement, and keeping your off-road bike set up as an off-road bike.

A fancier drivetrain won't improve anything until your current drivetrain starts to wear out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts