Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between these. The Giant Anthem and Santa Cruz are both smalls and weigh in at 28 lbs. I'm not sure about the Cannondale's weight but I really liked how the other two felt. Anyone have any opinions on these?

·
Registered
147 Posts
i'm not sure about the giant, but my shop sells santa cruz and c-dale. the super light and the rush are similar bikes

main difference is the headtube angles (71 on the superlight and 69 on the rush). the superlight is going to feel more xc (quicker steering, racier) and the rush will feel more "all mountain" (more confident on decents and drops).

i'd take the rush, personally after riding the two. plus the fem rush may fit better than the superlight (santa cruz makes the julianna for thier fem. version of the frame)

btw...and to me this is huge. if its an 06 superlight, it does not have a replacable derailluer hanger. thats new for 07. if something happens to that hanger on the 06, you'll be waiting a while for santa cruz to send you a swing arm. if it snaps on the rush, your local shop will have one waitng for you and should be able to throw it on in minutes.

just my opinions, but i hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
One vote here for the Superlight (obviously). A fantastic bike at a great price. Light, nimble, climbs like a mountain goat. I've got the 2005 model, no removable derailleur hanger either... has not been a problem for me so far (-:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The 69 deg HA would steer me towards the Rush. The Superlight has a steep 71 deg HA, and the Anthem is even steeper at 72. Some might say steep is better for faster steering, but IMO a steep HA leads to twitchier steering, especially when going fast and/or descending. 69 feels much more precise. (My current ride is a Yeti with a ~68 deg HA, and it climbs like a billy goat).

Whatever you decide, just make sure the bike fits.

Ant

·
Registered
36 Posts
Of course fit is key so listen to your body first of all. That being said, I bought the WS Rush last summer and love it. When you climb, it has some mechanism (sorry-I am not techie) that keeps the suspension from bobbing so you feel like you are on a hardtail. That was always my biggest complaint with FS-I hated the slow down on the uphill. That is my 2cents!

·
Registered
147 Posts
fox's anti-bobbing mechanism is called propedal. it works real great and makes single pivots like the superlight and rush awesome.

that another thing about the giant i wouldn't like. lots of pivots. keep in mind i work as a bike mechanic so i'm super picky about stuff. again, just my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.