Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a proud owner of made in the USA Cannondale Prophet with 140mm Lefty Max TPC (spring) in size XL and with 650 wheels. It served me well during the past 11 years.

I test rode a $6,500 XC bike, Niner Rocket with 120mm front and 90mm back. It was not apples to apples comparison but I loved the bike. It rode bit too harsh compared to my Prophet but that was expected given much smaller suspension numbers.

Now, I want the simplicity of 1x12 (10-50 rear cassette). I already ride a high engagement hub so a new wheel will be costly together with all the 1x12 hardware.

On top of that the rear shock, Manitou Swinger 3 way SPV needs service so I put back in the original little used Radium R. I can try to get Manitou serviced but I doubt there are parts available a decade later. A quick google search returns RockShox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock, 7.875x2.00" (200x51mm), D1 for $325.

I like how Prophet rides, it seems to be the right size of cockpit, I can get behind a dropped seat, etc. I am not sure what I am missing out if anything in comparison with new bikes other than the cool 1x12.

I could spend $400 on a new shock or ride Radium R. Upgrade to 1x12 or keep the current 2x9 which works great. Or buy a nice frame, swap the lefty (not sure the headaches, is my lefty still close to the best thing out there?) and build it up or just ditch it all and spend the money on a new bike. Or any other combination. :)

What do you guys think? Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
While I love 29 and specifically 29+, with all the benefits it brings, if you're happy in general with the ride of the 650B skinnies, I'd say keep it, and put on a Monarch, that shock will make the bike come alive.

That lack of supple had nothing to do with a loss of 20 mm. That's "new school suspension design" for you. Niners have been overly damper, harsh riding turd blossoms for years, alongside all the other gazillion pivot designs.

Sometimes, simple works. I sell a fair number of fairly pricey single pivot bikes, (Lenz Sport) simply because of how plush, stable, and stuck to the ground they feel (till you launch them of course).

Don't buy the Kool Aid, you should be able to feel that suspension work, it's not a crime....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew, the old crew will come to the rescue! Thank you!

Monarch was just a result of a quick google search. I see that there are other shocks, like Fox Float DPS (oder or 2020 model) and many more. Which one would you recommend?

My riding stile is typical mountain biking, I do not race, but I love to go fast either direction on the hill, jumps through roots...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If it still works for you then just re-shock it, although it will still have limitations. A prophet was my first real mountain bike, so I have a soft spot for it but no way in hell I'd go back to riding a prophet now. I even had a Pushed shock and while it significantly improved the ride, there was no hiding the pedal kickback or the now dated geometry. But if you still like riding it, then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Monarch is a great upgrade. I really like how the bike rides now. If anyone needs one for prophet ebay has them for little bit over two hundred dollars now. The item number is 323618324732.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I did not see your post. I am about 180lb and I think I set it up around 170PSI. I am not familiar with "L tune".

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the seller's answer: "This shock has the same L, L with a lock, S then 320. (see the 4th photo.. sorry it's a but blurry). The first box with the L is for the rebound tune (when shock is returning from compressed to full length) and the second box with the L is for the compression tune (when the shock is compressed). L = low/minimal leverage. The third box with the S is for the lockout force (s = soft) and the numbers = pounds of force to break the shock from locked into movement."

I don't see why it would not work well with any frame. I am reading that these are user tunable with some tools. I am happy with it. I hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.