Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another trip to the bike shop had me looking at these bikes this time. After talking to the great people at the shop they recommended this bike to me. Well they recommended 3 total bikes to what I told them I wanted, but this bike stands out. I will do a search here shortly, but I also would like to know what you people think. In case you were wondering what the other 2 bikes were, Trek fuel EX7 and Gary Fisher Cake 4 DLX. I will test ride all these bikes before I buy one, and the price is pretty much the same, a few more for the Cannondale but not enough that it would mater to me. Thanks again for all your help in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
brderj said:
Another trip to the bike shop had me looking at these bikes this time. After talking to the great people at the shop they recommended this bike to me. Well they recommended 3 total bikes to what I told them I wanted, but this bike stands out. I will do a search here shortly, but I also would like to know what you people think. In case you were wondering what the other 2 bikes were, Trek fuel EX7 and Gary Fisher Cake 4 DLX. I will test ride all these bikes before I buy one, and the price is pretty much the same, a few more for the Cannondale but not enough that it would mater to me. Thanks again for all your help in advance.
Check out the Cannondale Forum..... 70 % of the recent posts are about the prophet line. The 600 is an excellent bike, I do not know much about the other mentioned.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Out of the 3 bikes you listed I would rate them in this order. However, what bike feels the best is the best bike for you.

1. Prophet 600
2. EX 7
3. Cake

I have ridden the Cake and am not really impressed. The cake is a single pivot like the prophet, but the lefty fork on the prophet is awesome. I know it is a lot more money, but the prophet 800 has spv damping which will really be kick a--! However, the prophet is one heck of a bike. I was going to buy one and settled on a hollowpoint expert for the same price because it fit my bike rack better (Saris BOnes).

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Prophet

The prophet would be more versitile and adaptable. With the Cake or fuel you're locked in with a more cross country oriented bike while the prophet is good at XC it's geometry is adjustable to a more "freeride" style head angle and it has about 30% more travel.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The Trek is a delicate xc ballerina compared to the all mountain versatility of the Prophet. The Cake is also not as tough as the Prophet and not as versatile. The Prophet seems to have a great weight vs strength rating as well. Not too heavy for long epics, but tough enough for aggressive riding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The prophet was only $100 more than the EX7 and I really don't mind spending the extra money. My biggest fear was the lefty shock, but like I have stated before I'm not really the brightest bulb in the house and after I did some research I am no longer under the impression that it is no good. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is pretty much what the people at the bike shop said. It's good to hear it from someone who isn't trying to sell me something, it means I'm not getting ripped off. :D Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Prophet 1000... moved over from a hardtail last year. It rocks! Going downhill it chews up everything in its path. On technical climbs it is better than my hardtail- shocks keep the wheels glued down. The only time I feel the weight (moving from a 23 pound bike to a 29 pounder) is on the couple miles of tarmac I have to do to get to my front door. Love the lefty too... although combined with a very high BB makes finding a rack to fit difficult....poor reason not to buy though!

Dunno about the other bikes, but haven't grinned so much in years as I did on the first outine n my Prophet!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's funny you bring up the rack issue up because I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I figure I can just lay it down in the back of my vehicle if it comes down to it. :D Thanks for the input.....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Prophet transport

I just bought an 800 and like it. Fork feels stiff and the damping should be good (I need a stiifer spring). You can get a virtual top tube device ($30 for my Saris) that allows it to fit on almost any rack. I used it for my VT and now for the Prophet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I just sold my truck for a SUV thing, whatever you want to call them. So I will be looking into a rack here shortly. I'm sure you'll see my post "I like racks..." :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.