Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on Instagram but haven't seen anything with a new logo.
Anyone have an insight?
*Its kind of a cool story about how the logo was designed by this guy back in 1999
http://instagr.am/p/CSkYlWore4y/

·
5,889 Posts
I'd imagine Cannondale may be going through an attempted rebranding. Their reputation has been consistently slipping for quite a while now.

Not that they have bad bikes, I think they've just had a hard time keeping up with industry advancements. That seems to be the main sticking point with their legacy as of late.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'd imagine Cannondale may be going through an attempted rebranding. Their reputation has been consistently slipping for quite a while now.

Not that they have bad bikes, I think they've just had a hard time keeping up with industry advancements. That seems to be the main sticking point with their legacy as of late.
Interesting.
I never had Cannondale on my radar, for no other reason than the shops near me when I started riding were Trek, Specialized, Gary Fischer, Giant, Santa Cruz...

Whenever I demo'd bikes to make a purchase, Trek seemed to fit well and spoke to me.

A few years ago I stayed on at a ski shop where I bootfit in the winter, and trasnfered to bikes for the summer, which sold Cannondale and Pivot. (I considered a Pivot but it was out of my price range)
I demo'd a handful of bikes and ended up with a Cannondale Trigger 3. I enjoyed it for two seasons before switching to a Cannondale Neo 2, thinking the e-bike would be a good choice as I was dealing with breathing issues. I never warmed up to the new Habit Neo 2

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Can you provide examples of where cannondale has not kept up?

PS :yip there is a new logo font and some new bikes coming soon. All part of the brand refresh that started in the 2020 model year with the throwback font and logo on some bikes. New decade, new customers new generation employees new generation customers

·
5,889 Posts

PS :yip there is a new logo font and some new bikes coming soon. All part of the brand refresh that started in the 2020 model year with the throwback font and logo on some bikes. New decade, new customers new generation employees new generation customers
I mean, I'm not going to deep dive into Cannondale history and geo comparisons. I'm just telling you what their reputation is from talking to people and reading these forums. Go out on just about about trail in the US and ask people what their top 5 bikes they'd like to own would be. I'd be willing to bet $100 that Cannondale rarely, if ever makes the list.

Like I said, I don't personally think they make bad bikes. They went through a period where they had a lot of frame failures and their reputation seems to have mostly been on the decline since then.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Going bankrupt then getting purchased by a notorious seller of department store bikes has not helped.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I just went into the schools on their shop education site and am drooling over the new Jeckyll
I've been concentrating on my own bike and riding this summer that I haven't been paying attention to their new stuff.

Reactions: Brad

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think Cannondales are like Saabs- their owners think they are great, nobody else does. Saab should have stuck with jets and Cannondale should have stuck with... whatever it was they did? "The company was founded in 1971 by Joe Montgomery and Murdock MacGregor to manufacture precast concrete housing. Later Ron Davis came to Cannondale from CBS Laboratories where he was VP in charge of the development of microfilm reproduction. Ron, a polymath and a gifted mechanical designer/inventor, had ideas for an internal combustion engine that would use ammonia as fuel."

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Whoa! 23.14 lbs?
Without pedals, but still!

I like C-Dales. I proudly own a Made in the USA cyclocross frame that I have used as a daily 3 season commuter since I bought it new in 2004. Lots of bikes have come and gone but that is one bike that will be going to the grave with me.

I hope Cannondale can turn it around. I wish them nothing but success.

Edit: I still have super fond memories of Tinker, Myles and Missy when I first got into MTB. That may be fuelling the fire for me. I spent hours and hours pouring over the MBA and other MTB mags. Cannondale was epic back in the day. I have always loved the quirkiness.

·
Cycologist
16,921 Posts
I think Cannondales are like Saabs- their owners think they are great, nobody else does. Saab should have stuck with jets and Cannondale should have stuck with... whatever it was they did? "The company was founded in 1971 by Joe Montgomery and Murdock MacGregor to manufacture precast concrete housing. Later Ron Davis came to Cannondale from CBS Laboratories where he was VP in charge of the development of microfilm reproduction. Ron, a polymath and a gifted mechanical designer/inventor, had ideas for an internal combustion engine that would use ammonia as fuel."
An aBike? :p

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think Cannondales are like Saabs- their owners think they are great, nobody else does.
Good thing you started that statement with "I think" because, frankly, I think differently.
I can be counted as someone who doesn't think Cannondale is great, nor do I think they are not great.

I've had one that fit me well and one that I never warmed up to. My husband is on one now, as is his friend.
When he buys again it may be a Cannondale or he may demo something else that suits his needs.

Bikes and their manufacturers aren't that polarizing.

Frankly, most of the bikes I've owned that fit me well have been Trek models, so I'll likely be on a Trek for my next bike, but who knows.

Open minds.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I mean, I'm not going to deep dive into Cannondale history and geo comparisons. I'm just telling you what their reputation is from talking to people and reading these forums. Go out on just about about trail in the US and ask people what their top 5 bikes they'd like to own would be. I'd be willing to bet $100 that Cannondale rarely, if ever makes the list.

Like I said, I don't personally think they make bad bikes. They went through a period where they had a lot of frame failures and their reputation seems to have mostly been on the decline since then.
So basically you base your opinion on what forum posters think and from riders who dig deep into the history of the company to dredge up mid 1990's Road bike and some mtb frame failures based on one seriously flawed design concept
Ime the failure rate of cannondales has been zero %. None I have owned have given me any problems.
Nor has any Specialized I owned. I had a diamond back apex crack and a yeti asr.
What I do admire about cannondale (of old) is the fact took far more risks than almost any other bike company.
Aluminium construction when almost everyone was using steel.
Headshok when the fork legs was considered to be the only way to execute front suspension.
Lefty for XCO when 100mm was considered DH fork travel.
Original super six with hybrid aluminum and carbon construction.
BB30...
Hollowgram cranks
Headshok 1.56 headsets
Silk suspension Road bikes.
Sure they went bust and are owned by dorel but most of the bike manufacturers are now owned by investment groups or larger industrial companies.
Sure they should not have built their own motorcycle engines and just bought a Honda or rotax unit but then they wouldn't be cannondale
Through failure and success they should be applauded for the risks they took.
I find the hate leveled at cannondale to quite an intriguing subject.

·
Registered
395 Posts
For whatever reason Cannondale lost much of its cachet. It is not about technology or even much about product. Moots built its reputation on making clean looking, rather simple frames, usually with non-butted tubes. Meanwhile Litespeed and later Linskey were doing all sorts of crazy advanced tube manipulation. And yet Moots always had much more cachet. It must be frustrating to put out a product you think is better than the competition but be ignored by most of the market.

Cachet is one of those things where there is no clear path from point A to point B. It is a combination of so many factors and little things, much of which are emotional connections consumers feel towards a brand. Regaining cachet after it is lost is much harder than luckily catching it in the first place. People move on to the next trendy brand.

I don't know where Cannondale goes from here. Maybe hitch their wagon to a rising Youtuber like Diamondback did with Seth.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly, I don't know as much about the bike industry as I do about the ski industry, but if bike manufacturers are anything like ski brands, they all rise to the top and then slowly decline as they rest on their laurels. Then some great idea comes along and they rise to the top again.

My practice husband didn't bicycles at all but he was a competitive dirt bike rider. I recall Cannondale pushing to get riders on their dirt bikes when they first came out with them..... (was that back in 2001? I recall it being around the time of the plane crash in the field in PA on 9/11) Time flies.

What I heard in my bicycle circles was that trying to build a motorcycle brand was going to zap the resources for the bicycle side of engineering and design.
Not sure how much of that is true, but those were the underlying tones I heard at the time.
Although....I'm older now and my memory isn't quite as good as it used to be. ;)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.