Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any insight on why it takes Cannondale so long (imo) to deliver on bike orders. Do they employ a "just in time" production method? Is it due to gruppo shortages? I've ordered cars in the past that take less time to build, ship and deliver than it does for Cannondale to do a bike.

Seems to me that this business model would lead to frustrated buyers looking elsewhere for comparable products. Is it common across all bike companies? It's as if Cannondale is a boutique comapny and only have one guy in the back building your bike.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Spoke to my LBS who are a Cannondale dealer. They are saying that some of their orders 'were' expected this month, now they reckon April/May - but even that is looking doubtful.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Agreed

Cannondale is making some cool stuff, and it seems demand is really high...their marketing and design teams have hit the nail on the head.

If they had a well designed "Just in Time" pull process, the bikes would arrive in about a week. I really feel that they need to resolve this problem, it seems like they would loose significant sales if they don't.

Crazy thing is that the bikes are good enough, most people are waiting. And once you have one, the long lead times for a new bike are great for resale! :thumbsup:

Many other bike companies are having the same problem (for the second year in a row!). But some have got it figured out this year.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
if i didnt ride for a lbs that is a cannondale dealer, i would have looked elsewhere. ive paid for my new team scalpel in full after being told it was arriving in Dec. Ive now been told Mar and have little confidence. the LBS has said that 2011 availability is ludicrous.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nathanbal said:
if i didnt ride for a lbs that is a cannondale dealer, i would have looked elsewhere. ive paid for my new team scalpel in full after being told it was arriving in Dec. Ive now been told Mar and have little confidence. the LBS has said that 2011 availability is ludicrous.
Why though? I don't understand that a company that is in the business of making bikes can't make them in a timely manner. Is it due to hard to acquire resources? i.e. ballistec carbon? Is it due to components being in short supply? Is it due to "we make a bike when it is ordered?" Is it due to a high reject rate on frame due to complex manufacturing and rigid standards?

Is demand far out pacing supply? (Find this hard to believe is the root cause given the price Cannondale charges)

WTF? I agree the lack of availability is ludicrous but I can't seem to get an answer from anybody as to why this is the case. My LBS can't explain it, their Cannondale rep can't explain it. What's the big secret? I don't get it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
They are probably doing it because they dont want to mess up anything with us as we really are new customers for a new company and have to save face for turning their back on North American production so they HAVE TO make sure that we are blown away by the new products or we will turn our backs on them. Run on sentence eh?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ordered a Flash 29 Carbon 2 on Nov 18th and was told to expect it late Jan / early Feb. Shop called yesterday to tell me it had arrived and I could pick it up today. Guess I got lucky, hope you guys with bikes on order get lucky too.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The Flash's (29er in particular) had the same issue last year. I suspect anything that is a new frame, requiring new tooling, production process, etc is what is going to be affected. Some people are being told Jun/Jul for Jekylls!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
I just emailed my LBS, my Carbon 2 29'er has been on order since (iirc) July.

If delivery is now pushed back until April then I will be re-thinking my 2011 ride.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
6guitars said:
I also suspect that those who negotiate great prices wait longer for their bikes...
Does it matter what the LBS charges the customer? Doesn't Cannondale still charges the same to the LBS and it's the LBS that loses out in the end?. Also, I think there is little if any room for movement on prices by LBS's tbh.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
driver bob said:
I just emailed my LBS, my Carbon 2 29'er has been on order since (iirc) July.

If delivery is now pushed back until April then I will be re-thinking my 2011 ride.
Wow, almost 1 year from time of order. That's insane. Nio explanation I assume, just a "sorry it's been pushed back"?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was one who was in a waiting line on a warranty replacement of a flash, C'dales long wait time and poor customer service drove me away. Yes they do have some nice bikes and designs but so does a lot of companies out there. The are banking on the Cannondale name to pull them through this. What really happened IMO is they were way under prepared when they moved their service over seas and now playing a wicked game of catch up. This could hurt them big time if the product is rushed and not quality. I walked away and went into a Santa Cruz and could not be happier. As for the replacement of the flash and a 29 platform I will look into Niner or a Pivot mach 429. So long C'Dale you lost this customer. RIP "Dale"

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
dkestar said:
Wow, almost 1 year from time of order. That's insane. Nio explanation I assume, just a "sorry it's been pushed back"?
I did get the bike ordered as an employee so it may be they fill "regular" orders first. I do not know for certain that the date is pushed back, I have to wait and see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2008 SUper Six on warranty since May 11th. First they said 6-8 wks. Then they said MId August. Then in August they said end of November, no frame yet. I am hoping I get an email on when I'll be getting my replacement. Love the frame, shouldn't have cracked but it did. Hope I find out this week when I should expect the frame.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
So who has been longest without a frame/bike?

Right now redster 0229 @ May 11th is out there followed by parkincake with May 29th.

You guys have around 8 weeks on me :)

Not bithcin', just trying to pass the time !!

Can anyone beat May 11th ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
driver bob said:
So who has been longest without a frame/bike?

Right now redster 0229 @ May 11th is out there followed by parkincake with May 29th.

You guys have around 8 weeks on me :)

Not bithcin', just trying to pass the time !!

Can anyone beat May 11th ?
So clearly Cannondale has issues delivering in a timely manner for both new bikes and warranty frames. Does anyone have a reasonable explanation why? When I sit back and try to rationalize this I am at a loss. What's worse is that Cannondale seems to be completely out to lunch on communicating with their customers. If they would tell me a date and hit that date I'd be a little less inclined to get pissed. But being told "x more weeks" every x weeks is really annoying.

Does anyone from Cannondale read this forum? Can you explain why you have issues on delivering your product and managing customer's expectations?

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
I have a feeling a big piece of this puzzle is how good your local C'Dale rep is.

Some reps may be unprepared for your question regarding when you'll have your bike, and therefore guess rather than do the work of getting an accurate estimate. There is also the possibility of the game of telephone if you're talking only to your LBS and not directly to the rep.

I have no idea why C'dales lead times are both so long and variable, but I have a hunch this isn't as much of an issue with their bread and butter products - the bikes you see actually stocked on an LBS floor.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts