Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
When Cannondale advertises their new forks at 2.55lbs, does that weight also include the aluminum steerer? Recently I acquired a carbon lefty, and on my scale it weighs 2.14lbs, and with the steerer it goes up to 3.2lbs.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
354 Posts
the weight of the Lefty doesn't include the weight of the steerer......the steerer about 120g......or the Steerer Combo stem about 245g....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm..are you sure? How This fork I have is actually an older model Lefty. It was originally an ELO fork, but got converted to a lockout DLR.
Without the steerer, it weighs 2.14lbs...how the hell can it be lighter than the new Carbon SL Lefty?

Also, the new one piece steerer/stem combo from cannondale is quoted at 150grams! Anyone know the true weight?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mr. IROC-Z said:
Hmm..are you sure? How This fork I have is actually an older model Lefty. It was originally an ELO fork, but got converted to a lockout DLR.
Without the steerer, it weighs 2.14lbs...how the hell can it be lighter than the new Carbon SL Lefty?

Also, the new one piece steerer/stem combo from cannondale is quoted at 150grams! Anyone know the true weight?
I am 100% sure!!! Look at the photos....the 2008 Lefty Carbon SL.....cannondale said it's 2.72 lbs......my one is 1247grams....about 2.74 lbs......and look at the steerer combo stem......real weight is 249g!!:madman:

Attachments

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The stem-steerer is around 240-250gr... The old ELO were quite light but... are you sure your scale is reliable? more than a pound for the steerer alone? Doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the help! Some of this stuff is eye opening. Do you think the 150grams is the weight for the smallest size? Every website that sells these things advertises 150grams. I'll order the 90mm one and let you know.
BTW, my weight scale did need to be re-calibrated. The weight of my ELO is actually 2.84lbs without the steerer. Not bad eh...but I just also bought a 2009 version that is 2.55lbs. Not sure if it was worth the $800. I will need to get rid of one of them now.

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
Mr. IROC-Z said:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the help! Some of this stuff is eye opening. Do you think the 150grams is the weight for the smallest size? Every website that sells these things advertises 150grams. I'll order the 90mm one and let you know.
it's a claimed weight .... never saw one less than 240 g ...

a old mine :

( lighter than stock with Ti gold bolts and carbon cap .... yes with bearing cover ... however a ROCK from Alcatraz )

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are there any other options for the steerer/stem combo? I thought I once heard of a carbon steerer...and then we could just pick our own stem...maybe an extralite one.

In terms of the 'claimed' weight, that is grossly understated. This is false advertising and someone should do something about this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts