Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am reaching out to any 2018 Jekyll owners. Do you find the bike enjoyable on anything other than downhill and technical trails? The 2018 Jekyll 4 is available at an attractive price and in my size. However, I'm curious if any current generation Jekyll owners are putting the bike to work as a trail bike and how they like the bike in this use?

My local trails are roots and rocks gardens in DFW. I'll be traveling to Revielle Peak Ranch and Spider Mountain this Summer. Also planning to get to Bettonville later this year as well.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My philosophy on bike choice is to buy a bike that can handle the hardest terrain that your going to ride most often. I live for the steep, tech, fast downhills but need a bike that pedals since I don't have a truck which is why I bought the 2018 Jekyll 4. I can keep up with most of my friend's on their 130mm trail bikes for the most part so it's good enough for me.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
OH MY GOD NO!!

You must purchase one bike for every conceivable terrain option.

If you do not, you will have no fun, get no fitness, and all bike companies will fail and go bankrupt from the ensuing suppression of ever increasing sales numbers.

Only YOU can prevent this travesty of capitalistic commercial excess, and marketing bullsh*ttery from coming to fruition.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Useable, yes, but it’s going to be a heavy bike for that use. Being able to shorten the travel helps but there is no getting around it’s roots.

How attractive of a price are we talking about?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Craig, The size Small 2018 Jekyll 4 are offered at $2,240 at a bike shop. That's about 30% off the retail. I haven't asked if that would be the best price. A ski and sporting good store has them listed for $2,500. The Jekyll 4 at the lower price seems like a pretty capable All Mountain/Enduro style bike. But, if I'm being realistic, that type of riding probably will make up at most 15-20% of my riding if I rode the most challenging trails in DFW/North Texas/Central Texas two of my usual 8 rides in a month.

I guess what I really need is a trail bike, better skills, and some funds to do the occasional rental rather than being overbiked 80-85% of the time. That fork travel is pretty darn long. The 2018 Trigger 2 is offered at $4,300, or 28% off the original retail. These discounts are OK, but I definitely don't have $4,300 to throw at $4K trail bike any time soon.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mmmm. Being over-biked gets you in to trouble, faster, whilst making climbs and flats a bit of a drag.

What do you ride at the moment? It might be that a couple of sessions with a skills trainer would unlock some more advanced riding with your current rig and make days out with a burly rental more fun?

This is what I have to tell myself every time these things go on sale. Always attracted to the easy, shiny, stupid things, when a day of one-on-one coaching would benefit me much more. Sigh.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howard,

That's a really good point about the one-on-one coaching and trying to avoid chasing shiny new things. I subscribed to Ryan Leech and it really did help me progress on a number of fronts. Maybe that's what I should be doing.

I ride a '17 Stache 5(stock except dropper). The stretch I'll have this year is a trip to Burnette, TX to ride Revielle Peak Ranch(RPR) and Spider Mountain in about four weeks. I can do a rental at Spider Mountain, but would be on my Stache at RPR. This trip will likely be a 4-5x a year trip plus 1-2 trips to Bentonville with my brother and his riding group. I'm wanting to stay/keep up with the group that's all on moderate to long travel bikes. I love my Stache, but I don't want two bikes in my garage. I already have two motorcycles that don't see nearly enough use.

Appreciate the feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.