Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I own a 1999 F300 Cannondale hardtail with the p-bone Headshok, approx. 60-80mm of travel.

I'm thinking about turning it into a road/commuter and am wanting to put a rigid 1-1/8 fork in there.

My research reveals I would need at least the 2 below items, or those of a similar nature:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1999_42_-Cane-Creek-Double-XC-Short-Headset.htm

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK409C01-Surly+1X1+Fork.aspx

Do I need any other items? Will a star nut be necessary? If so, will it come with the headset or should I look separately.

Finally, anyone ever done a conversion of this type?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been there & done that. It's not so different from installing any headset/new fork. You need the proper headset tools or a shop to install. You could also try any of the home-brew solutions for headset installs.

The star-nut comes with the headset. Good luck with the conversion - again, there's nothing to it if you know how to correctly install a headset.

--Eric

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Urk said:
Been there & done that. It's not so different from installing any headset/new fork. You need the proper headset tools or a shop to install. You could also try any of the home-brew solutions for headset installs.

The star-nut comes with the headset. Good luck with the conversion - again, there's nothing to it if you know how to correctly install a headset.

--Eric
So it looks like I have all I need?

I've never done a headset installation before, and don't have the tools, so I'll be going to the LBS for that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have used this headset on one of my older C-dales and it is great. A lot better than some of the spacer solutions out there. The headset comes with everything you need including steering spacers and star nut.

Doing it yourself is not hard either. Just need a hack saw or piper cutter (recommended) to trim the steerer tube. I sometimes have the LBS install the cups if a hammer won't do the job.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those of you that did this conversion, did you use the Double Xc SHORT from Cane Creek or just the Double Xc?

Cane Creek recommends the Double Xc Short for Cannondale Headshok frames, no?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes I used the Double XC Short. This is because the headshok headtube has a recess milled in to accept the cannondale headset cups. You need to short to fit the recess. The standard Double XC fits like a standard headset and is too deep for the headshok recess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.