Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am currently riding a Cannondale gemini size small and I have the occasion to buy a new Santa Cruz Bullit frame (2007) for a good cheap price. Should I make the move? What do you think will be the main difference/different feelings between the two frame? My current set up is with a Sherman Breakout Plus in the front, double crown fork.

Santa Cruz Bullit 2007
http://www.vttfreeride.com/index/news-357-presentation-du-bullit-2007.html

Santa Crus Bullit frame 2007 Size Small Geometry
TT 21.5
ST 15
ST (angle) 70.5 deg
HT 4.1
HT (angle) 67.5 deg
Wheel Base 41.9
BB (height) 14.3
CS (length) 17

Gemini Geometry Chart size Small 2003 Geometry
Seat Tube Angle (degrees) 71
Head Tube Angle (degrees) 67
Horizontal Top Tube Length - Horizontal (cm) 57.5
Horizontal Top Tube Length - Actual (cm) 53.1
Seat Tube Length to Top (cm) 40.5
Chainstay Length (cm) 43.2
Bottom Bracket Height (cm) 37
Wheelbase (cm) 109.2
Trail (cm) I 9.6
Standover Height (cm) 72.4
Bottom Bracket Drop (cm) 2
Front-Center Distance (cm) 66.4

Thank you for letting me know if you think i will notice a difference in the bike handling due to the geometry!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
bullit or gemini???

xtremgirl said:
Hi!

I am currently riding a Cannondale gemini size small and I have the occasion to buy a new Santa Cruz Bullit frame (2007) for a good cheap price. Should I make the move? What do you think will be the main difference/different feelings between the two frame? My current set up is with a Sherman Breakout Plus in the front, double crown fork.

Santa Cruz Bullit 2007
http://www.vttfreeride.com/index/news-357-presentation-du-bullit-2007.html

Santa Crus Bullit frame 2007 Size Small Geometry
TT 21.5
ST 15
ST (angle) 70.5 deg
HT 4.1
HT (angle) 67.5 deg
Wheel Base 41.9
BB (height) 14.3
CS (length) 17

Gemini Geometry Chart size Small 2003 Geometry
Seat Tube Angle (degrees) 71
Head Tube Angle (degrees) 67
Horizontal Top Tube Length - Horizontal (cm) 57.5
Horizontal Top Tube Length - Actual (cm) 53.1
Seat Tube Length to Top (cm) 40.5
Chainstay Length (cm) 43.2
Bottom Bracket Height (cm) 37
Wheelbase (cm) 109.2
Trail (cm) I 9.6
Standover Height (cm) 72.4
Bottom Bracket Drop (cm) 2
Front-Center Distance (cm) 66.4

Thank you for letting me know if you think i will notice a difference in the bike handling due to the geometry!

Thanks!
specs are similar in nature, so in theory handling should be similar since both are single pivot designs...is the bullit 1.5?
keep this in mind...Bullit = brand new design while the Gemini is being phased out.
I believe in 07 they are down to 1 entry level model.
Having a new bike is a good thing. I would jump at the Bullit.
Keep the Gemini frame if possible. You can always sell a brand new Bullit frame easily if you don't like it.
good luck...

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Hey...does anyone know how good this new main pivot bearing system is going to be on the Bullit? I asked a similar question awhile back when the new release pics came out, but got no responses. Has this type of system been on any other bike designs for a main pivot? I realize BBs have been using this style of design for some time, but I've never seen anything like it for a pivot.

That said, we sell SC and used to sell Cannondale. I have always been fairly impressed with the Gemini, even though I have two Bullits. I'm probably with keen on this one in the issue being an apples/apples comparison. However, no one has any real experiences on the new Bullit yet since it's really not even out...though I'd expect its prior qualities were probably preserved, and it weaknesses may have been worked out or removed. In fact I'll bet that beefy looking main pivot is mainly due to the slight lateral flex the old Bullit had at the swingarm.

If your existing Gemini fits you well, I'm not sure you're going to gain anything. And if your Breakout has TPC damping, that's a very good fork.

·
Unit 91
1,408 Posts
I would say keep your Gemini. Depends on what you are mainly using it for. The new Bullit looks nice with the oversized pivot area and the external bearings. If you really want to consider a new frame, look into a frame upgrade from Cannondale (where you trade in your Gemini frame and pay a little more money for a brand new frame) and maybe see about getting the new Perp. It has adjustable travel, a slacker headtube and its beefy. All your parts should swap pretty easy unless you have a QR drop out rear wheel. I would say either keep your Gemini or look into a frame trade.

·
MOBtown
120 Posts
I would think the main difference between the two bikes will be the wheelbase. The wheelbase on the Cannondale is an inch longer than the Bullit. The Cannondale should feel more like a DH bike. The Bullit should be a bit sharper with the shorter wheelbase. I would think the Bullit will be slightly more versatile. But, then again, this is my opinion.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
xtremgirl said:
Hi!

I am currently riding a Cannondale gemini size small and I have the occasion to buy a new Santa Cruz Bullit frame (2007) for a good cheap price. Should I make the move? What do you think will be the main difference/different feelings between the two frame?

Thanks!
If I were in the same situation, I would buy the new Bullit.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I don't know if this is true or not, but I believe the Gemini may possibly be a lighter bike. My friends Gemini is rather light compared to my 67 (Bullit Clone) however, this is just a stupid assumption...

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Raptordude said:
I don't know if this is true or not, but I believe the Gemini may possibly be a lighter bike. My friends Gemini is rather light compared to my 67 (Bullit Clone) however, this is just a stupid assumption...
Especially since your 67 Bullit clone is NOT A BULLLIT. It was not made or designed by Santa Cruz. Why in the world would you think you know that a Cannondale might be lighter than a 2007 bullit that is brand new???? do you have ANY experience on either bike??

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Khemical said:
Especially since your 67 Bullit clone is NOT A BULLLIT. It was not made or designed by Santa Cruz. Why in the world would you think you know that a Cannondale might be lighter than a 2007 bullit that is brand new???? do you have ANY experience on either bike??
Whoah Guy...I said I was making a simple guesstimate...

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
trying to "upgrade" to a Bullitt from a Canondale........IMO there are much better bikes out there....Bullitts and the Canondale are just the same single pivot so keep your Gemini

·
Registered
34 Posts
speeking from experince with both bikes (older builts at least), they're almost exactly the same bike. built has a little lower BB but the gemni has a better build quality and -- the frame at least -- is lighter. i run my gemni in the 150 mode for a more playful feel. (less travel, lower BB, slacker angles, ect.) and aside from component diffrencesit rides just like my friends built.
the new bearings and such on the built does look promising, but IMO it's not worth the time/money to get the same bike all over. if you're not happy with your genmi, figure out why and look at something a little further away. if you're happy with it stick with it till it dies, then try the built.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your reply ! :) I should clarify that I could trade my gemini for the bullit, no extra money being spent (as long as I sell my gemini). I've tryed a gemini before and loved the feeling. I also love my gemini. héhé guess I could also look into the VPFree, yet this would cost me some $$ and perhaps be to big as far as sizing goes (even for the small frame!).. being 5'4 and 28'' standover clearance!

If you have more comments, keep'em coming! Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.