Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm new to this forum and the world of mountain biking. I recently purchased a 2008 Cannondale F7 Disc from a buddy of mine. After about 50 min of riding I noticed green oil coming out of the shocks. Is this a common problem with age? Also what are some of the fixes or might it be better to buy new forks?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is your fork a headshok or something else? If it is a headshok, post in the cannondale forum and talk to MendonCycleSmith. He is the MAN when it comes to rebuilding Cdale forks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an RST shock and by the looks of it after reading through the forum its not a very good one. I have decided to replace it with something better but I don't even know where to start. Any help?

·
Registered
460 Posts
well assuming it is a 1-1/8 steerer fork which im sure it is, do you have a budget of what you are willing to spend in mind? Used or new?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A LBS told me that he was almost sure it was tappered however I don't know if that changes things but as a beginner I'm looking to spend no more than $150 new.. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
460 Posts
2008 Cannondale F7 Disc - BikePedia

Says they are a 1-1/8, tapered wasnt very common in 08'. With a budget of 150 you aren't looking at a whole lot of options new or used. Look into the SR Suntour Raidon (sells on ebay around 150 I believe and its air sprung) or look into the Rockshox XC 30/32 . With that budget those are the best option forks and I believe they will perform better than the RST fork ever had.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks! The rockshox xc 30 seems to fit the budget how would it compare to the suntour you mentioned? Advantages or disadvantages? Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
well the XC 30 is coil sprung while the Raidon is air sprung(air spring is more plush and has more rider weight adjustibility). And the XC 30 has 30mm stanchions while the raidon has 32 mm which makes for a stiffer ride. The dampers in them at least in my experience perform about equal. Tallying it up, I personally would reccomend the raidon but if you cant spring the extra money the XC will work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Go with the Raidon. Make sure your headtube isnt 1.5 (Really 1 7/16 i think).I believe RST made a fork for Cdale ? I know it isnt tapered. Just check before you order.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can get in the fork upgrade program from Suntour. I cant remember the specifics but getting an upgraded fork isnt much more. Some people say it is a good deal. I would check into that before you buy also. I am pretty sure your headtube is 1 1/8 like sfb12 stated above.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You can get in the fork upgrade program from Suntour. I cant remember the specifics but getting an upgraded fork isnt much more. Some people say it is a good deal. I would check into that before you buy also. I am pretty sure your headtube is 1 1/8 like sfb12 stated above.
Unfortunately he cannot do this as the original fork was an RST and not a suntour. But msrp prices on the fork is around the same as the upgrade program. At least from what I've seen on ebay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm went on the website and realized that but it's alright. I think I'm gonna go with the XC it seems to be available at more places. However I read about the XC28 on jensonusa and people seem to like as a beginner shock and the price is definitely right. What are the major differences besides the tube diameter?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm went on the website and realized that but it's alright. I think I'm gonna go with the XC it seems to be available at more places. However I read about the XC28 on jensonusa and people seem to like as a beginner shock and the price is definitely right. What are the major differences besides the tube diameter?
That's it but the diameter changes the stiffness

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts