Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another carpet fiber hardtrail for 2010.

Thought I'd post this article from VeloNews about the 16.5 lbs Cannondale Flash: http://www.velonews.com/article/94319/flash-cannondale-s-166-pound-cross-country-bike

"The Flash Carbon will be available in a 29er model in December. However, the 29er model will use standard modulus carbon instead of high modulus because it brings it down to a more reasonable price point. "

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
It has drinking straws for seatstays!

I guess I have to get used to the different look that carbon frames might have in the future, just like fat aluminum tubing vs skinnier steel. Seriously fast looking bike though.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,758 Posts
WOW! I can see some races being won on that and the 29er version.
Carbon technology is coming along very nicely...with a price tag to match.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Joshua Pattersnap said:
"The Flash Carbon will be available in a 29er model in December. However, the 29er model will use standard modulus carbon instead of high modulus because it brings it down to a more reasonable price point. "
Interestingly, the Cannondale catalog page for the Flash 1 29er and the Flash 2 29er have " New Flash Carbon HI-MOD 29" as a description for the frame. It is a BB-30 frame as well.

I'll bet the VeloNews quote is correct, but I found that curious. Perhaps it was an 11th hour decision to go with "standard modulus" to keep us from having a $6600.00 29"er to drool over!

Another clue: I have heard from a reliable source that the Flash 1 29er will cost between $2500-$3000, so the VeloNews quote makes even more sense.

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
Those frames might be good for high level racing.. but for the average rider who likes to play in the rock gardens, not so much.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
CB2 said:

Jesse Jakomait rode an un-marked one to second place at Singlespeed-a-polooza. It wasn't an SS specific frame; I'm not sure of his tensioning method.
Something wrong with that picture ( I mean the jersey), like a rider on a state of the art TT frame with baggy shorts or so, or dressing world cup racers up to compete in SS worlds.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
mvi said:
Something wrong with that picture ( I mean the jersey), like a rider on a state of the art TT frame with baggy shorts or so, or dressing world cup racers up to compete in SS worlds.
The tiny jean shorts are what really get me going:D

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
mvi said:
That's the point...it's ironic.

Some need attention. Some ignore. Others point it out, as obvious as it may be.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Flash Carbon 29er 2
Lefty 29er Carbon DLR 80
DT Swiss X470 29er rims
FSA V-Drive BB30 44/32/22 crankset
SRAM X-7 shifters, X-9 rear derailleur
Avid Elixir R disc brakes
Price: TBC

Flash Carbon 29er 1
Lefty 29er Carbon SL 80
Stan's ZTR Arch 29er rims and DT Swiss 240S rear hub
FSA Afterburner BB30 44/32/22 crankset w/ carbon spider
SRAM X-0 shifters, X-0 rear derailleur
Avid Elixir CR carbon disc brakes
Price: TBC

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
lost in translation

Guitar Ted said:
Interestingly, the Cannondale catalog page for the Flash 1 29er and the Flash 2 29er have " New Flash Carbon HI-MOD 29" as a description for the frame. It is a BB-30 frame as well.

I'll bet the VeloNews quote is correct, but I found that curious. Perhaps it was an 11th hour decision to go with "standard modulus" to keep us from having a $6600.00 29"er to drool over!

Another clue: I have heard from a reliable source that the Flash 1 29er will cost between $2500-$3000, so the VeloNews quote makes even more sense.
maybe the cannondale guys haven't got their chinese/english translation skills perfected yet. Now that they are a chinese company, things will improve....or the beatings will continue.

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
Whats worse is grown men in plum smugglers. So ghey.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
cruso414 said:
maybe the cannondale guys haven't got their chinese/english translation skills perfected yet. Now that they are a chinese company, things will improve....or the beatings will continue.
Cannondale is by no means a Chinese company. They are owned by Dorel, which is a Canadian company who also owns some other companies who are big names in the bike industry. Just because production will shift to Taiwan by the end of 2010, does not, by any means make Cannondale a Chinese company. There are many companies that make absolutely none of their products in America, and they all happen to be industry giants in whatever field they are in.

Specialized:
~Production: Taiwan
~Headquarters: Morgan Hill, California

Apple:
~Production: China
~Headquarters: Cupertino California

I give Cannondale credit for keeping their factory in America for such a long time, and through a few hard economic times. I also would like to give them credit for keeping some frame production in the current Bedford, Pennsylvania factory. The road going CAAD 9 will be made in the US for the entire 2010 year, the RZ 140 was also hinted about being produced in the US through 2010.

I don't understand why everyone is against companies that have been in America for a long time, and then shift to Asia. This is not a terrible thing for Cannondale. I don't like the fact that they have to lay off employees, but some that have been at Cannondale since the beginning have been offered jobs in the Bedford warranty facility. Its not like Cannondale is a different company, they are still dedicated to producing some of the best frames and full bikes in the industry. There is no reason to start disliking Cannondale for moving production to Asia, its all about money. If you are an America only brat, then I'm sorry that you lost the biggest US manufacturer.

I see this as a new horizon for Cannondale. They will be able to provide us with the same great technology that they have in the past, but at a lower price. For the 2010 model year, Cannondale has brought more entry level bikes that are starting at lower prices than ever. For example, the 2010 F29 4 will now have a new Lefty that has a one piece upper, which is lighter and cheaper than any other previously manufactured entry level Lefty. Cannondale has brought another aluminum 29er for 2010 which makes the entry level 29er cheaper than this years, which will be drawing more and more people to make the switch to the big wheelers.

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts
Amillmtb.....I seriously doubt we will see any price changes due to Cannondales move to Taiwan. It is just an opportunity for the big C to pad their profit margin a bit more, ala Specialized.

I loved my Cannondale but any company that moves manufacturing from the good ole USof A to a foreign country loses a large measure of my respect.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Silentfoe said:
Amillmtb.....I seriously doubt we will see any price changes due to Cannondales move to Taiwan. It is just an opportunity for the big C to pad their profit margin a bit more, ala Specialized.
Did I say price changes? NO.

I said because Cannondale brought in another model, the entry level will be cheaper. That is not saying "price changes," which would imply that they dropped the prices on the current models.

SilentfoeI loved my Cannondale but any company that moves manufacturing from the good ole USof A to a foreign country loses a large measure of my respect.[/QUOTE said:
So in other words, you have almost no respect for:

Specialized (obviously)
Trek/Fisher/Lemond/Klein
Cannondale
Giant

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Silentfoe said:

I loved my Cannondale but any company that moves manufacturing from the good ole USof A to a foreign country loses a large measure of my respect.
This is the kind of statement that just floors me. When you run a company, and you can cut labor costs by literally millions of dollars, keep quality the same, or even increase it, be more efficient, and yes.....make more money- ( That IS what capitalism is all about, ya know? :rolleyes: ) then what would you do, disregarding where the companies factories are? If you are a smart business person you go where it is good for the company to go.

It's easy to grouse about the U.S.A. losing jobs, but when the manufacturing costs and labor costs are so upside down in comparison to other places in the world, it isn't any wonder why companies figure out how to make it work better for them. That's the point of being in business. To make money. ;)

That's all I have to say about it. This gets into political stuff that doesn't belong here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry to jump onto this and derail this thread but unless you have had to be the guy that has to tell people they are fired because there job is moving to China in order to decrease costs and increase margins then believe me it is never as black and white as you describe.

Guitar Ted said:
This is the kind of statement that just floors me. When you run a company, and you can cut labor costs by literally millions of dollars, keep quality the same, or even increase it, be more efficient, and yes.....make more money- ( That IS what capitalism is all about, ya know? :rolleyes: ) then what would you do, disregarding where the companies factories are? If you are a smart business person you go where it is good for the company to go.

It's easy to grouse about the U.S.A. losing jobs, but when the manufacturing costs and labor costs are so upside down in comparison to other places in the world, it isn't any wonder why companies figure out how to make it work better for them. That's the point of being in business. To make money. ;)

That's all I have to say about it. This gets into political stuff that doesn't belong here.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts