Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1) What is your budget. Or budget range.

$600-$900

2) What kind of riding do you think you will do?

Trail and road

3) Full Suspension(FS) or HardTail(HT), or not sure?

Hardtail

4) OnLine, Local Bike Shop(LBS) or both.

LBS

5) If you list several choices, do you want users to recommend similar bikes?

Cannondale F4
Cannondale F5
Giant Yukon
suggestions!

6) Anything that is a must? Like disc specific rims? Disc Brakes ...

I'm not sure, this is my first bike

7) Age? weight? It make make a difference in how we respond.

32, 175 lbs

I am going to run/ride in a Duathlon in April ( 5 mile/run, 33 mile/bike, 5 mile/run ) and I almost bought a Cannondale Caad 9 road bike. I just didnt think I would use it that much after the race. I recently found out about 30 miles of trail 10 miles from my house.

I've checked out a few forums and not many people are talking about Cannondale. Is there something wrong with them? I really like the way the F5 matte black looks but I keep hearing bad things on the front shocks. The F4 is a BRIGHT white and I hear that I can lock the front spring and it would help me ride better for the race ( after I put some slicks on it)

Thanks for any info given!

·
Registered
33 Posts
C-Dale vs. Giant

If you have up to $900 to spend I'd get the F4. It's the lightest of the 3 you listed and you don't have to get it in white. It comes in a mocha brown like color too. The Headshock, while it looks complicated and weird to most, is actually pretty good. I'm not saying it's a Fox or anything though.

Another good bike for the price is the Felt Q720. Similar parts spec, but one big upgrade is the Shimano XT rear derailleur and the Hayes Sole hydrolic disc brakes. You can find info about the Felt here http://www.feltracing.com/products/product.asp?pid=37&catid=18,23,34

Giant makes a great bike, but anything in your price point is going to be pretty heavy weight-wise. If you can spend a bit more, try to find an '06 Giant Anthem. Dual suspension is worth every penny. Plus with this bike, you can find 'em with lockout on the front and rear, which will work great for you anytime you are riding on the road.

Lastly, test ride as many bikes as you can. They don't all ride the same and they don't all fit the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cobisan for the info. I went down to a LBS and checked out the Felt Q720 and for some reason it didnt feel right for me. I did like the upgrades better than the F4, but I liked the front shock on the F4 and it felt like it fit me better.

I just got home from the LBS and I bought the Cannondale F4 for $835. It was $879 but they gave me a 5% discount for using cash and a 10% discount on all my accessories for using cash. I left out the door spending $1100. I'm not sure what i'm doing on the bike, but i'm going to give it a shot with a group this Sunday. Wish me luck

Jay

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have fun on your new bike. I would suggest replacing the Headshok as soon as possible. It will make your bike TONS funner.
Cannondale really stands behind there bikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BrigRat said:
Have fun on your new bike. I would suggest replacing the Headshok as soon as possible. It will make your bike TONS funner.
Cannondale really stands behind there bikes.
Replace the Headshok? I dont know much about bikes, but I like the new technology Headshok. Is it no good? If I replace it, then I should of just bought the F5 and saved 300 dollars THEN replaced the Headshok on that one. What do you recommend I put on the F4? Cost?

·
Registered
695 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the headshock...I have one (2005 model) and works great. It would be nice if air valve was more accessible but otherwise dig it. The lock (since you mentioned road) works well...maybe too well since it you feel everything.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
Kornele23 said:
Replace the Headshok? I dont know much about bikes, but I like the new technology Headshok. Is it no good? If I replace it, then I should of just bought the F5 and saved 300 dollars THEN replaced the Headshok on that one. What do you recommend I put on the F4? Cost?
Geez. There is nothing wrong with the Headshock. In fact it is a very light very smooth 80mm Fork. play with the air settings and find one you like.. I had a 230 Lb friend on mine (Under aired) and he really liked it. It is stiff and precise.
I suppose you can go all out and spend $800 on some gizmo heavy fork, but I suspect your going to find this fork does all you need it to do.
And as far as I am concerned, I want the lockout to LockOut. Lockouts that slip a little make me feel cheated....Trust me, the headshock is great.
CDT

·
Registered
434 Posts
i bought the F5 and love it

kinda weird. first cosabian guy told you to get the F4 bc the front shock was better.

now that you have the bike the first thing brigrat tell you to do is replace the front fork....

kinda weird.....

i say just ride it and break it and fix it.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fellas, thats what I wanted to hear. I was going to get pissed if I wasted $300 on the F4. I was set on buying the F5 until I was talked into getting the F4, because of the Headshok and a few other upgrades. Anyway, thanks again. I feel better about it now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cograts!

Jay, congrats on your purchase. We all post here and share our opinions with you, but opinions are like a-holes...we've all got 'em. Sounds like you got the right bike for YOU!

I'm assuming your LBS told you about the lifetime warranty on the frame, C-dales frame/bike exchange and all. You just bought something that comes with a big group of people standing behind it's quality. Get out there and rip it up on your new bike and be happy as hell.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rafdog said:
Yes, post pics. According to my arse'ole, you made the right call....I wish it would stop raining here so I could go ride...
I just got home...thanks everyone. It's raining like a mug here...this sucks. I wanted to go out on the new bike. Well anyways, I'll post some pics of it when I finish eating dinner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I went out riding this morning at Timberlake trails and man I had some fun. I rode with a few guys for about 4.5 miles until they had to leave. Then I went out on my own, which was a little nuts. I somehow got on one of the advanced trails called Carbo (4.2 miles long). Well I ate my sht 3 times, I broke my left brake lever ( front brakes ) when I ran into a tree going downhill...lol. The other 2 times I flew over the handle bars by making the mistake of using the front brakes going downhill. It was kinda fun eating it and not getting hurt. well that was my first time out and I cant wait to get my brakes fixed and get back out there.

Jay

·
Registered
695 Posts
Good report...trees don't give much. Keep that enthusiam...when you can eat it and come up smiling:cool: , you know its all good:thumbsup:

I think you will find that "judicious" use of the front brake is a good thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.