Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I was 95% set on the C'dale BBQ F3, but now i'm starting to lean towards the Stumpjumper HT. I've test ridden both and they both fit well. Well...I felt I was leaning a bit further in the Stumpjumper, but that was a size too big. So i'm assuming the correct size won't feel as stretched out. The only glaring negative about the Specialized is it has V-brakes, esp. at this pricepoint. The next level up with the discs is a few hundred more than I want to spend.

For the same price, which would you get?

C'dale F3
Pros
Better Frame(?)
Nicer welds and finish
Disc brakes
Made in the USA
Cons
2-3 lbs. heavier (28 lbs.?)

Specialized Stumpjumper HT
Pros
2-3 lbs. lighter - (25-27 lbs.?)
Componentry
Cooler paint scheme (debatable)
Cons
V-brakes
Made in Taiwan/China

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think you could be pretty happy with the Stumpjumper especially if you plan to race sometime in the future. Specialized decided to put more money into the fork and other componentry rather than the brakes and for around $1400 you get a true race grade hardtail. If you ride a lot and dont race the cannondale might make more sense. Still with the Stumpjumper at some point in the future you could probably go with disc brakes. Make sure the wheels are compatable for a future upgrade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Stumpjumper and I've been really happy with it. I would emphasise the fox fork on that bike, it really is an amazing piece of kit and in my opinion it's significantly better than the Cannondale headshok.
As for the brakes, I changed mine when I bought it for Avid mechanical discs. You may not want to do this immediately but it's a very easy upgrade when you do. The wheels are already disc ready so they don't need changing, and the levers will work fine with the mechanical discs. So all you need to do is get the caliper and rotor, which are pretty cheap for the Avids and away you go!
If you're unsure about the using the mechanical discs check out the reviews for the avids on here, they have to be the best rated disc system ever made. I'm a big fan, and I think they'd be better than a lower-end hydraulic system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.