Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a 1997 F1000 This week and I'm hoping it will fit me. The guy is asking $250 and the bike looks to be in mint condition.

From the photos it looks like the headshock doesn't have a lockout so I'm not sure if I will want to keep the fork if I find a deal on a different fork.

I've been out of mountain biking for some time now and where I live there is mostly technical flat single track and not very many hills.

My tough call is that I have a 2003 NRS1 that needs a fork(stanchions are pitted) but it is too small for me at 18.5"(L) And I miss having a hardtail bike. Oaky I'm going to finish rambling, So is $250 a good deal on this bike?

here is a photo

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked it up, and it is NOS! Never, like never been ridden. It is going to be hard to ride it because if that. But I am going to Canmore this weekend so I think it is coming with me.

This frame is a touch big but I am very happy with it. I just need to change out a few parts and store them in a box for if I want to put them back on at some point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the cassette and the chain rings look like they just were put on. Not a spot of grease.
Also the guy had the original paper work and owners manual. He was the only owner. oh and he had three little bottles of Cannondale touch-up paint, primer, and clear coat that he bought a long time ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
neil_240 said:
Yeah the cassette and the chain rings look like they just were put on. Not a spot of grease.
Also the guy had the original paper work and owners manual. He was the only owner. oh and he had three little bottles of Cannondale touch-up paint, primer, and clear coat that he bought a long time ago.
That was my 1st ever Cannondale! Sold it a few years ago to a mate, it was then stolen from a back of a van. It was so light, even now as a HT it's pretty light. Colour is cool, from what I can see everything looks stock, other than the post & saddle, the chainset is a work of engineering excess! All 3 rings machined from a single billet.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome bike

Just posted a headshock questions above.
The fork does have a lock-out, that's the black ring on the top, and it's a very useful one. I rode mine for 5 years, on everything from XC racing to off road touring. This is the last year they made holes for a rack on the rear. It's a very fast, reliable and fun bike.
Only few drawbacks:
1. The CODA crank may break on you at a certain point
2. The fishing-rod length stem maybe hard to replace with a reasonable length (non-DH) stem due to the unusual diameter, make sure it fits you.
3. I've installed years ago a titanium (Moots like) seat-post, added much comfort to this stiff HT.
Have fun, get new tires and tubes though, they are probably bone dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,680 Posts
It looks like a beautiful piece of history and it'd make a great around-town bike, but I personally wouldn't want to trail ride with it. I think that bike is best for an "old bike" collector.

There were several advancements which made mountain bikes better over the years, the biggest of which is the frame geometry. You'll also miss out on disk brakes and more fork travel. Also, I wonder if that fork is even serviceable anymore???...they may not have parts for it. Just my opinion, good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just spent over twice what you payed for a 1999 F1000, so I'd say you got a fantastic deal.

I'm comming back into the MTB scene after a selling my M300 nearly 17 years ago, I was going to get a new F5 but decided to give this "New Old Stock" F1000 reptilain green fade a try on our local trails. These old F1000s may not compare to the new "Made in Taiwan" models. :rolleyes: But they have a slew more character. :thumbsup:

Here's a few pics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here are a few photos of the bike,

It has been working great! I just need to pick up some rings for another crank set I have, Topline or Raceface.(don't want to break the coda ones) And I have a XTR rear derailleur that I need pulleys for.

then I just want to get some new riser bars because my wrist hurt with flat bars and the bike should be great.

I am on the hunt for some 8 or 9 speed rapid-fire shifters too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Before getting rizer bars try a shorter stem. You now have a very long stem that puts a lot of weight of your upper body on the bars. Plus I doubt if a rizer and long stem combo will give you a good steering feeling.

·
Registered
89 Posts
HENRI8 said:
But does it have holes in the rear drop-out? If so, I am happy to be corrected, as I may need a newer frame on of these day
It does indeed. Actually, I never checked before buying the bike (a 2008 F2). My '95 F600 had 'em, I just assumed they were standard. I would have been disappointed if I couldn't mount a rack; the ability to carry some gear on long rides is indispensable for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up a shorter stem last week and not the length feels good, I'll try a few different bars soon.

I also just order some SLX cranks and shifter that I'll put on. I don't want to kill those old cranks, and I'm not a fan of the grip shift.

I'll be hitting up some trails again this weekend. This bike if fun as hell, defiantly liking it better than my NRS

·
Registered
1 Posts
1997 Cannondale F1000 stem

Neil - WHERE were you able to find a new stem? I have the Mango one in the pictures, I love it but ever since I bought it in 1999 I've known that I need a new stem for it. It's too long and I'd like a steeper angle for it also. 14 years later they are not as easy to find as they once were.

What was the required diameter needed for the steering tube?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
madgreek said:
I just spent over twice what you payed for a 1999 F1000, so I'd say you got a fantastic deal.

I'm comming back into the MTB scene after a selling my M300 nearly 17 years ago, I was going to get a new F5 but decided to give this "New Old Stock" F1000 reptilain green fade a try on our local trails. These old F1000s may not compare to the new "Made in Taiwan" models. :rolleyes: But they have a slew more character. :thumbsup:

Here's a few pics.

go packers!:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.