Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you put a depreciation value on a stock Cannondale bike that has been on the sales floor for 4 seasons (2003)? Bike is in mint condition and rarley has been ridden. Each year that goes by what would you expect the value to decrease for a situation like this?

Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
What model?

One thing to consider about Cannondale is that their technology trickles down directly to their lower level bikes over time. So....a 2002 CAAD5 F3000 for instance is about the same weight and overall quality as the lower level F4 2007 Cannondale hardtail.

I have no idea why people buy older Cannondale's since the newer lower level bikes are far superior.

·
Registered
879 Posts
apacherider said:
What model?

One thing to consider about Cannondale is that their technology trickles down directly to their lower level bikes over time. So....a 2002 CAAD5 F3000 for instance is about the same weight and overall quality as the lower level F4 2007 Cannondale hardtail.

I have no idea why people buy older Cannondale's since the newer lower level bikes are far superior.
To save money, and probably because they don't pay attention and notice what you mentioned. :)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
What model? An XTR bike, is still that, an XTR bike. It willnot have it's value halved because of a few years. It's more function of the dealer. Some guys like to dump everything in the year it was made. Those are the deep year end discount fellas. Others will keep on asking full retail for a 10 year old bike, um, yeah, right.....And yet others will be interested in moving it, but they have time, floor space, labor, etc into it, and don't want to get hosed by some greedy, soul sucking, waited till it turned '07 to scream "DEAL", should have been a WalMart spokesperson, cheapskate. :D It's more about how much you are willing to pay. Surely, a couple hundred off a 3K bike is in order. But what's it worth to you? You may get it at 20 below wholesale, but will you get smiling service, on a hoppin' summer afternoon, while you wait? Doubt it. Let the shop owner give you a fair price, if it works for you, buy it, but remember, you want to ride, driving around endlessly looking to save 20 bucks, is a waste of time and gas. Note, I'm not saying this IS you, just sounding off on the attitude of some. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
As far as the cognescenti on mountainbike web sites go, your bike won't be worth too much. No one who knows MTBs really wants to ride a 2003 Jekyll, for example, you'd have to sell it way below cost price to get shut of it. A HT or scalpel would hold value better IMHO as they're more of a constant design.

As far as Joe Public is concerned though, totally different story. You could knock 25% off it and fairly present it as a bargain to someone who was unconcerned with riding the latest and greatest.

·
Registered
795 Posts
CheapTrek said:
Can anyone explain what I missed out on by buying an '05 Prophet 1000 a few months ago? What does an '07 lower level Prophet have that I missed? Thanks.
Yeah, what Craig said: "nuthin really, you're good"
That's basically what the dealer told me when I bought mine.
All we missed out on was a spending $600 more!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for feedback. The bike is a Cannondale 1 FG Ultra - 2003. I really am interested in the Cannondale singlespeed but the dealer is asking $850. To me even if it has been barely ridden that seems very expensive for a bike thats been on the floor for 4 years.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I remember a few years back I saw a blue Raven 700 sitting on the floor that was like four years old. I know that bike cast at least $2000 at the time, but they cut the price down to $1100.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Rob T said:
Thanks for feedback. The bike is a Cannondale 1 FG Ultra - 2003. I really am interested in the Cannondale singlespeed but the dealer is asking $850. To me even if it has been barely ridden that seems very expensive for a bike thats been on the floor for 4 years.
If it was brand new that'd be a great deal. That has a headshock on it I think? $850 is fair ONLY if they can stand behind it with a warantee, if not I'd ask them to lower the price. If this is the fully static version then it does seem high. The thing is that the bike hasn't really changed since they started making them, so the '03 isn't much different than the '07 except the HS is the newer/nicer version. If it was a f/s bike from 3 years ago that might be a little different.

I LOVE my 1FG, and I paid FULL FUGGIN RETAIL for it... that part make me a little peeved, but hey I had to have it when it came out. I've since sold my F600. I doubt you'd regret purchasing this bike. It's the best bike I've ever owned period.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
Whats the bike list for now ? And what did it cost then?
I mean if a new one is $1100, I would NOT pay $850 for one that old.....THEN again you do have to be aware of parts spec....If the MSRP has remain unchanged over the last couple years, it's possible the spec has gone down....Then the value of the older one can be edged up a bit...
CDT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.