Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check it out folks. I dunno if this has been posted before but I decided Id throw it out there just in case. Just saw it. Cannondale has showcased a new ELECTRONIC front suspension system at the consumer electronics show! Now dont tell me you didnt see this one coming along sooner or later? Here is the link, it will explain it way better than me.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/cannondales-mind-blowing-simon-electronic-suspension-system-han/

Video included with commentary. Interested to see where this leads.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
didnt they have an electronic fork dampening back when they first launched the lefty?

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Anyone else remember the Plizielostometic(something like that) technology that K2 was pussing in forks and rear shocks on the Proflex/K2 frames? Running on a 9volt battery? good stuff right there man.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
ae111black said:
didnt they have an electronic fork dampening back when they first launched the lefty?
Yeah, they had a fork with electronic damping way back then. Lefty ELO, came in regular and carbon flavors. Was technically just an electronic lockout.

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
f3rg said:
Battery dies and you're screwed, right?
Nah, they still worked ok without the electronics turned on. They used modified Noleen shocks as I recall. But it didn't catch on and Proflex sunk into obscurity, and frankly I can't see it catching on now either. I sometimes look at Cannondale and wonder if the designers have some sort of fatal attraction to evolutionary dead-ends.

b.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
They had an on-off switch. You were supposed to turn them off for low-impact stuff, then turn the electronic on when you hit the trail. Battery only lasted a few hours at best. At least if you wore the battery out on a ride, you could pogo out.

·
um hmmm
151 Posts
bshallard said:
Nah, they still worked ok without the electronics turned on. They used modified Noleen shocks as I recall. But it didn't catch on and Proflex sunk into obscurity, and frankly I can't see it catching on now either. I sometimes look at Cannondale and wonder if the designers have some sort of fatal attraction to evolutionary dead-ends.

b.
Right, no company should ever try something new or unconventional...

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
He's right. This isn't a new idea, it's already been tried twice, and failed both times. I can't really see it working this time, either, unless they do something radically different to make it more usable for everyday riders. Racers might like it, but that's a small portion of the riding population.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
/wobble yes and no. They've always pushed the envelope, yes. FS design, bought and mass-marketed the Headshock, then designed the Lefty.......generally well-engineered and designed, though. I've never liked them too much, their geometry is wrong for me. Lots of happy riders, though, so they're not doing too bad a job. There are other companies that do far worse.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I want to see the suspension system on a Corvette retrofitted to a MTB, as seen here.

Imagine: you start to pedal out of a corner, the bike knows this and stiffens up the rear end, while at the same time tracking what bumps the front end hits, and instantaniously relaxes and stiffens the rear end to compensate.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.