Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Old picture, old news, nobody really knows if that particular prototype will be the final Darwin design...

The Darwin will fill the gap between the Scalpel and the Prophet. I'd say around 110-120mm travel. It will be the Marathon race bike: more travel than a Scalpel but lighter than a Prophet.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Actually there are no confirmed reports that Cannondale is looking to plug the travel gap between the Prophet and the Scalpel.

Scalpel will continue tobe the XC race bike for both marathon and XC.
Next year there will be a Prophet SL (Super Light) which has it's travel pegged at 120mm front and back. This bike will most likely be pitched at the Marathon Racers. It looks just like a std Prophet only it weighs in at 24lbs or about 11kg for the top of the range model.

That pic thats been doing the rounds is one of severla prototypes Cannondale built about 18months ago to explore the marathon concept. It appears that they have deceided/settled on the idea that a Lighter Prophet with a 69Degree head tube will fill the gap nicely.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Brad said:
Actually there are no confirmed reports that Cannondale is looking to plug the travel gap between the Prophet and the Scalpel.

Scalpel will continue tobe the XC race bike for both marathon and XC.
Next year there will be a Prophet SL (Super Light) which has it's travel pegged at 120mm front and back. This bike will most likely be pitched at the Marathon Racers. It looks just like a std Prophet only it weighs in at 24lbs or about 11kg for the top of the range model.

That pic thats been doing the rounds is one of severla prototypes Cannondale built about 18months ago to explore the marathon concept. It appears that they have deceided/settled on the idea that a Lighter Prophet with a 69Degree head tube will fill the gap nicely.
LBS and a Cannondale rep have told me about the Darwin, not much but it will come. The Prophet SL are already shipping and are Europe only models just to fill the gap in the meantime. I do agree that when it does come out, the Darwin may not look like that prototype.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I saw sketches of a bike tehy called Darwin nearly two years ago.
It did not look anythinglike that, in fact they were more detailed engineering drawings than should have been seen.
Yes Cannondael are working on a Scalpel replacement, it's not called Darwin (which is just an internal code name for Scalpel's replacement.

They've explored a few novel idea's with the bike one of which hopes it too production.
So yes Darwin will come, but it won't be Darwin to us. "Of course this could change due to so muc discusion about this pending machine that they choose to name it Darwin just to maintain continuity.

A new short travel XC?Marathon bike is definately coming.
What I think it will look like on paper is the front end of a scalpel and aheavily revised flexy stay rear (i really hope they keep those flexy stays instead of pivots) incorporating a surprising innovation.
From what I understand this machine will be available in summer 2007.

Personally I hope that many design charactersitics of Scalpel is carried over. Scalpel is by far the most sensible XC race bike I've ridden and the reliability is extraordinary! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.