Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
SAVED R U
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to do Cannell trail in the next week or two. Does anyone know the trail conditions?

·
member: kv dirt daddies
382 Posts
The trail is not open yet. I'm sure it will be a few more weeks before it is. The road up to Sherman Pass is the main issue. If you want to climb the road on your bike you could ride the trail earlier. I'm sure there would be some snow slogging if you tried to ride it next weekend. I have not heard that the Forest service has started working on the road or the deadfall on the trail. They are underfunded so not exactly a ball of fire.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bumping this because I'm heading down from Tahoe to Redondo Beach for a wedding. Was planning on riding it on Monday the 19th.

·
382 Posts
As of this morning the board on the front of the Kernville ranger station says that Sherman Pass road is closed. I know there is a crew doing some tree clearing up there but they are working on the Kennedy Meadows trails, not Cannell. I will try to find out some more info today when the station opens.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the info. My wife and I are camping at the campground on the Kern River. If the cannell trail isn't cleared yet, are there any other good trails in that area? I have about 6 hours to ride on Monday before we head back to Tahoe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Contact Mountain River Adventures in Kernville. They shuttle people to the top of Sherman Pass and they should know about the road and trail.

·
382 Posts
markcjr - what type of ride do you want to do, XC, DH, Shuttle? I can give you some recommendations if I know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
jfsh - shuttle would be good, as my wife will drive me. Anything with a good downhill is great. If I have to pedal up, that's fine too. But I like to end with a good downhill.

Thanks,

mark

·
382 Posts
You should do Just Outstanding to Granite to Wall Street to Dutch Flat. That should take you about 3-4 hours. Get this map (Kern River Sierra Adventure Trail & River Map: Giant Sequioas to Kernville to Lake Isabella to Domeland & Golden Trout Wildnerness Trails) at one of the local Kernville stores. You can figure out the starts,turns, and stops using it. If you want to add an extra hour or so add Wagy Ridge to Rocky Gulch in the middle of your ride. I have no idea what your skills are so I will warn you that this is an advanced ride. Just Outstanding is easy but you will need solid descending skills to enjoy the other trails. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good fitness and solid technical skills. Thanks for the info. If cannell trail isn't open, I'll hit the above suggestions.

Mark

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Guys, I called the shop and they said they're doing a shuttle this Sunday, and that Sherman Pass and the cannell trail are clear. So, I'll be hitting it up Monday morning. I've heard it's easy to get turned around on, are there maps available?

·
GONE
25,719 Posts
Hi Guys, I called the shop and they said they're doing a shuttle this Sunday, and that Sherman Pass and the cannell trail are clear. So, I'll be hitting it up Monday morning. I've heard it's easy to get turned around on, are there maps available?
Download this into your GPS. Do not do this ride w/o GPS. That's a death sentence to anyone unfamiliar with it.

Geoladders -- Cannell Trail

·
382 Posts
Yes, I heard the road opened today. markcjr - did you do a ride yesterday? If so were did you end up going?

·
382 Posts
I just talked to one of the guys that did trail work up there this past weekend. He said they did not clear anything on Cannell yet. He also said that there is still snow on the upper portions of the trail. With the warm temps this week he thinks it may be melted out by next weekend but couldn't say for sure. If you do decide to ride it be prepared for some snow slogging and some deadfall on the trail.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was planning on heading down this Monday. Don't have a GPS, so I think I'll stick to the other trails you mentioned. Don't feel like dealing with a bunch of hike a bike. Jfsh, are those other trails you mentioned clear?

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts