Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not as much stoke here for the DJ so I'm hoping to get a little love going...

(long so jump to the pics if you don't want to read caffeinated recanted history)

I love projects. Sometimes I complain about the endless work but truth is I'd be lost without exercising new interests. Feeling buoyed by the great result of Project One (my 2012 One build), I decided to ride that momentum and start Project DJ.

Truth is, this is entirely new for me; I have some semi-recent crash related trauma that's been my excuse for not pushing the boundaries. It took last year's DH sessions and Enduros to finally get through that block. Reconstructive surgery and broken necks suck so hitting that 'switch' is a big deal to me. Part of Project One is the culmination of the process - having a bike that's dialed with a much lager margin of error allows me to go faster, bigger with more grace and confidence. Anyway, this is my long way of getting around to being stoked on riding and improving skills.

My town (lovely Durango) is starting to realize critical mass for forms of riding that were not as prominently recognized. There's plans for profession pump tracks and bike parks. This is good and we can't wait; actually won't wait as we start to do some more amateur building. With that as the backdrop, decided I needed a pump track/DJ bike. While I was originally looking for something used and cheap, I got impatient with the junk on ebay and craigs so I was happy to see that Canfield had a close out special on the DJ and I took the plunge.

As everyone knows, Canfield folks are great to communicate with (thanks Sean!). I deal a lot with bikes - aside from lifestyle - this used to be my job. Over that time, I've seen crap packing far too often - Canfield's delivery was stellar - I know it's a small thing to some but after dealing with crushed bikes it's good to see proper packing. Easy steezy as it should be.

Pleased to see this on my porch:

IMG_2358.jpg

Here's the frame. Nice:

IMG_2360.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg

I'm totally novice for DJing; egoless so if you have build or progression recommendations please share. Feel free to share you build and riding in this thread.

More to come!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Absolutely love my DJ. Usually gets used for street rides more than dirt, but has been awesome none the less.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've been very tempted to pick up one of these and swap the parts over from my current bike. looking forward to seeing your build.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm totally novice for DJing; egoless so if you have build or progression recommendations please share. Feel free to share you build and riding in this thread.
One piece of advice...I HIGHLY recommend you get a spiderless crank/chainring setup so you can run something smaller than a 32T ring. 32T BARELY clears the frame.

Also, if you are getting a rear wheel with a single speed only rear hub...get one with metric threads instead of english threads. The smallest english thread freewheel available is 16T which is a bit fast spinning with a maximum chainring of 32T. With the metric threads you can get freewheels down to 13T.

Ask me how I know this :).

Pretty crappy picture, but here is my bike...

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant first hand advice Turbo. Thanks a million. Good looking bike too.

Cool to see the thread getting some attention. I'm really excited about this build and more importantly riding the hell out of the damn thing.

I'm sort of laughing to myself. My originally planned to buy a junker for around $350. Then started my build project and said 'target under a $1G'. Pretty sure I can plan on exceeding that.

I'm sure some of this is personal preference but recommendations on a basic target gear ratio? Sounds like 2:1 (52'') is too low... searches say around gear inches 55'' to low 60s. So: 30X14 ish? Probably going w/ my std 175mm.

Otherwise, most the selection is around wheels and fork.

For rims I was looking at wide, burly and cheap like Sun MTX33.

Fork I want to keep close the the 485 A2C so that's mostly 100mm candidates. Thinking Marz. DJ1/2 or a older Fox 100mm. I imagine you want pretty progressive.

General thought on cockpit was 50mm stem w/ bars a bit narrower than mtb.

Brake(s) are going to be some BB7s I have laying around....

A little fun bling doesn't hurt here and probably more likely do it on this bike than my other rides so if you have an idea like 'Atomic Pimp Rims w/ the neon green background and yellow poka-dot glow in the dark skulls' throw it out there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm sure some of this is personal preference but recommendations on a basic target gear ratio? Sounds like 2:1 (52'') is too low... searches say around gear inches 55'' to low 60s. So: 30X14 ish? Probably going w/ my std 175mm.
It's all personal preference but I personally like the 55-56" range for general DJ/street. If I ever get around to doing a new crank/chainring/wheel setup I will be going with either 30/14 or 28/13 setup.

Fork I want to keep close the the 485 A2C so that's mostly 100mm candidates. Thinking Marz. DJ1/2 or a older Fox 100mm. I imagine you want pretty progressive.

General thought on cockpit was 50mm stem w/ bars a bit narrower than mtb.

Brake(s) are going to be some BB7s I have laying around....
I run a Marzocchi DJ1 and have zero complaints. Good and stiff with adjustable rebound.

I went really cheap on bars/stem with closeout Truvativ Hussefelt (40mm stem and 680mm bars), but they work well enough for me.

Brakes, I have a BB7 out back and nothing up front. I'm probably going to throw an old Avid Elixir R on it soon though because I hate the feel of mechanical discs.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We finished Jesse's build last night:

Jesse DJ.jpg

Frame - Small DJ
Fork - Marz DJ1
Wheels - Azonic Wheels with 135x10 step down axle. (Found the axle on Price Point for $12)
Brakes - Avid Elixer 1's
Cranks - Canfield Brothers AM/DH 165's
Ring - 30t Bling Ring
Pedals - Canfield Crampon Classic
Rear Cog - DMR 16t
Chain - TSC halflink chain - RED
Bars - Spank Spoon
Stem - Spank Spike
Post - Thomson
Saddle - SDG Patriot

IMG_8356.jpg

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for sharing KVT. Cool build and giving me some more ideas. I'm sure your buddy is liking it.

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Progress:

CircusFork.jpg

New Manitou Circus Expert 100mm. At first look, it's a nice fork - good reviews. Much better than other ones within my build budget and it's new so no unknown sketchy crash history.

Also selected my cranks (XO DH 175mm) which are coming off my One and the 170mm XX1s are going on the One. I have a deal going for a 28T ring swap (for a 32T since that doesn't sound like it clears the frame reasonably). Hope that works out.

For wheels, I decided to also dual purpose and get something DH-able. So, 20mm Front w/ 135/12 rear (to use the new bolt on axle I got from PP - thanks for the idea Vin). Thought here is I can swap my AM wheels on the One for this set when I put the One in DH dress kit.

That's all for now!

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the one benefit of being terribly sick and missing your favorite race of the season is you get time to wrap up projects. I think this came out very good - now I just need to learn what to do with it! So far I've gotten good out looping out on manuals...ha... short stays are different! Pretty excited about using the hell out of this thing.

IMG_2488_800x600.JPG
IMG_2489_800x600.JPG
IMG_2490_800x600.JPG

Here's the build:

Frame: Canfield DJ Matte Black - Long
Fork: Manitou Circus Expert 100mm - White
Front Wheel: Sun Inferno 31 32H, 3X Pauls 14G blk w/ blk nipples, 20mm DT Swiss
Rear Wheel: Sun ADD Pro 135/12 (which uses an Inferno 31 rim so matches frnt), w/ Azonic bolt on step down adapter
Brakes: Avid BB7, Avid Levers, 160 Orange custom rotors
Headset: FSA Impact Orange
Stem: Orange Spank Spoon
Handlebar: Blue Spank Spoon
Saddle: Chromag Overture
Grips: Easton Havoc
Cranks: X0 DH w/ 28T Bling Ring
Chain: Sram 9 sp
Cog: 13T Redline
Pedals: Silver Blackspire Sub4
Front Tire: Kenda Smallblock 8 2.35
Rear Tire: Kenda Smallblock 8 2.1

The kids tell me I need to desticker everything for a laid low street cred look....

·
Registered
13 Posts
how y'all doing, ordered a dj frame the other day and I am pretty excited.

carl mega what do you think of the bike, any changes?
do you like the circus expert? fork is at the top of my list

kalamath any update (got pics yet)

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Howdy-ho. My bike is pretty much in the same kit as I detailed in the thread. It's good; I like it a lot. That said, I'm a beginner at this so my opinion my not count for much. The Circus is fine - the only thing I've noticed is I've never used full travel - even when I land hard and case it. Running the air preload at barely anything too.

Good luck with your build and bike! Be sure to tell us how it goes.

how y'all doing, ordered a dj frame the other day and I am pretty excited.

carl mega what do you think of the bike, any changes?
do you like the circus expert? fork is at the top of my list

kalamath any update (got pics yet)

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks for the replies, nice pile o' parts kalamath can't wait to see it done
right with you carl, complete beginner as well. really wanted a bike I could ride like I did when I was a kid, manuals, bunny hops, jump everything just go play.
I'll keep y'all updated

oh about the fork carl whats your weight, if you don't mind. looking for a really firm fork I'm about 200lbs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts