Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Pivot Mach 5.5
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike currently has a DUB press fit BB92 BB (PIvot Mach 5.5), and I'd really like to get some 150-155mm cranks. Canfield cranks seem to be one of very few options and seem like a great choice, except that they are GXP. I know I can get a GXP BB for my bike, but...isn't GXP kind of obsolete and considered not a particularly good technology?

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
My bike currently has a DUB press fit BB92 BB (PIvot Mach 5.5), and I'd really like to get some 150-155mm cranks. Canfield cranks seem to be one of very few options and seem like a great choice, except that they are GXP. I know I can get a GXP BB for my bike, but...isn't GXP kind of obsolete and considered not a particularly good technology?
I love GXP. Heaps of chainring options and a no-hassle interface.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,061 Posts
BB92 was a big mistake. Pivot and a few others tried to design around the 24mm shimano axle standard while at the same time the 30mm BB30 standard was gaining popularity. Rather than use the cranks and bb designed for the system, pivot and others shoehorned the 30mm spindle cranks in BB92, where there wasn’t enough room for bearings and many failed. So sram eventually came up with dub to make the bearings bigger, but it’s still an imperfect solution. IMO, run a 24mm shimano with BB92. GXP is external bearing, so plenty of room for bearings. GXP, BB30, BB92 with 24mm spindle are better systems than the shoehorning of 30mm or 28.99 into BB92.

Reactions: Sam Handwich
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.