Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was chatting with Canfield HQ the other day about putting their cranks on a Tilt.

They recommended two options:

1. Run the BB without any cup spacers but with the ISCG guide.

OR

2. No ISCG guide and one BB cup spacer on the NDS.

The main difference is option #2 gives a better chain line, say about 3-4mm. Option #1 looks a little cleaner with the ISCG mounted.

Thoughts on which way to go?

Option #1

Option #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once a chain is on option 2 it looks too close to the chainstay based on the pic.
It is close. But I’ve had 6 Canfields (5 Nimbles and a Riot) and they’ve all had very tight chainstay clearance. On two of the Nimbles there was no noticeable gap between the chainring and the stay. Neither one ever touched the frame.

After 6 frames I got used to such tight clearance (kind of), but it’s always nice to have at least a bit of daylight.

I do like the better chain line. However, I’m mostly an SS guy so not sure how much better it would be.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured that my lithium, like my paradox, had the ISCG tab as part of the design with regard to the shell width.
Yes I believe the design of the BB assumes the use of the ISCG tab. Otherwise the BB width is too narrow hence the need for a BB spacer if not using the tab.

Assuming no mechanical advantage/disadvantage to either method. The main difference is chain line and aesthetics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am building a Tilt and ran into the same issue when installing Shimano 12 speed SLX cranks. The Shimano chainrings are two piece and have small bolts on the inside. The bolt heads would just barely hit the bottom of the chain stay. Adding a 2.5 mm and .7 mm spacer gave similar clearance to your option 2. Going to try a Wolftooth chainring and see if I can get rid of the .7mm spacer. The clearance is very tight. Would be curious to see what the clearance looks like on the complete bike builds from Canfield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.