Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I could demo a Canfield One here in phoenix? I'm itching to buy one, but I'm afraid the Large size will be too small.

Alternatively, anyone already have a large size One and willing to let me pedal it around for a bit? I know I've seen some Canfields on SOMO, you guys must be getting them somewhere :)

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
too bad I have a medium One. But you are still welcome to demo it if you like!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you order it directly from them? how do you like it? do they run big or small for their size?

im riding an XL specialized pitch with a 25" tt right now, not sure if the canfields 24" tt is gonna feel too small...

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
I have a large CF Balance that feels perfect even though I typically rode mediums in other trail bikes. I don't know how that translates to the ONE sizing but they are somewhat similar in design (as far as how sizing goes I think). If you want to give it a spin I'm at South Mountain fairly often.

You should call CF and talk to Lance or Chris, they are both super cool guys and will definitely point you in the right direction. Or you could even contact them here on mtbr, look for user name "flymybike".

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
bioport said:
did you order it directly from them? how do you like it? do they run big or small for their size?

im riding an XL specialized pitch with a 25" tt right now, not sure if the canfields 24" tt is gonna feel too small...
I bought my CF slightly used and I absolutely love it! I think they run small but I can't really tell. I can tell you that I have a large specialized epic and it feels huge, my large CF feels perfect. For what's it's worth I'm 5'11, maybe 6' tall.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i emailed them and got a response from Chris saying that the best place to look for a demo would be in sedona, at a shop ive never heard of... Bike Heaven, i think.

i'm hestitant to ask the company my frame geometry questions... id rather just see one in person.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yeah, eabos and I both have CF Balance's. Mine is size L and fits me great. I am 6'0" tall and it fits great. I do run a 75mm stem as I do lots of AM with pedalling too. Great bike, have only experienced one other bike that pedals as well. I am also a bit of a SoMo fan and hit it up when ever I get the chance. As most of their designs use a parallel link I would think they all pedal well.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Sounds like Chris was talking about Mountain Bike Heaven, one of the oldest shops in Sedona. You should take a trip up there, get some riding in and hit the shop (I hear they converted the jumps out back into a pumptrack)...

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
bioport said:

Well when I first looked at the geo on paper I thought the medium might be too small for me but it turned out just right and I am running a 65mm stem on there. Also I stand 5'10" to give a better picture. The bike does run small but for what I plan on doing with the bike expecially what I have already done with it I am glad it runs a little small.

If you can't make it to sedona to demo the One you are still welcome to give my steed a run.

Good luck. Oh and you won't regret getting this bike!!!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The One and the Balance are really nothing alike other than they both use parallel linkage designs. The Balance is a mini DH/Slopestyle bike and fits very differently from the One. I would say an XL Balance is equivalent to a large One and the One pedals FAR better, is longer, and much lighter. I am 6'2" and fit the large One very well. How tall are you and what bikes have you ridden that fit you well? If you are over 6'4" inches, the large may be pushing it unless you are leaning towards a smaller frame for the playful downhill aspect of it. I don't have a One but ridden a couple and own a large Balance and large Jedi.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right now i am riding an XL specialized pitch, and admittedly it is maybe a TAD too big. I generally find that I need a 24" effective tt at the minimum (the pitch is almost 25"). Both the frames I am looking at right now, the One and the firebird, look like they might fit... but their lack of an XL size makes me wonder.

More than anything, I just want to know if any shops in the phoenix area carry them in-store. Need to get on one before I can make a decision.

edit:: I am 6'4" tall

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A friend of mine has a large Pitch and I would say it fits very similarly to the large One. The Pitch is an extremely long bike so direct comparisons are kind of hard but it sounds like you may be ok. Still would want to ride it before I bought it but I would say you would most likely be happy with it. Most people who look at those types of bike would prefer them to be on the smaller side than the larger but that is up to you to decide. I would confidently say though, that if you are comfortable on a large Pitch, you would be happy on a large One.

I can't say anything about Firebird as I have not ridden one. The One offers a lot to its riders and is a super cool bike. Firebood looks cool too but don't really know anything about them beyond what is on paper. Saw one pic of a Firebird with the rocker link busted from the rider going 'bigger than the bike was designed for'. Who knows what that means but would make me look further into the back story before buying one.
Both companys should offer stellar customer service and can attest to the Canfields. It would be super nice to be able to ride them both back to back but alas, the boutique'ness makes that rather difficult.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm riding them back to back would be a good idea... guess I will be going to interbike this year :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You have the patience of a saint if you can wait that long for a new bike once the mind is set on doing it. Good luck to you and follow through with the suggestion of checking out that shop mentioned. Can't hurt to call them and see what they have.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the contrary, I have little to no patience when my mind is set on something... but $2k+ is a lot of money to dick around with. ;)

Unless I can find something used... I know a guy was selling a used One in the classifieds for $900 in Jan. If I can find something like that again, I'll take my chances.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
bioport said:
Unless I can find something used... I know a guy was selling a used One in the classifieds for $900 in Jan. If I can find something like that again, I'll take my chances.
That's a great deal as long as there isn't some major damage to the frame. I mean geez it's gotta be pretty new, they haven't been out too awful long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts