Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share my most recent addition/change to my DH bike. I had been borrowing an e13 direct mount stem from a buddy but he recently got another boxxer and I thought it was time to return it. I have a .5 in rise bar but have always wanted a lower setup and so looked at stem choices for this. I never necessarily felt the front end was high with the e13, but I did always notice it was taller than I was used to with my trail and jump bike. You accept that as ususal, forget about it 30 seconds into the run and life goes on. But I knew there were options and instead of getting a flat bar to replace my perfectly good current one, I used the new stem as an opportunity to go lower.
I ended up getting the Canfield offering. I have a couple of their frames and although they are not the only ones offering drop stems, brand loyalty came into play for sure. First ride out was very satisfying. Instantly felt natural, cornering was amazingly easier. We have a step down to tight'ish right hand burm into a step up that sets up a 20 foot gap and I was amazed how I was overclearing the step up with just a stem change. Hitting that burm harder and with more confidence and then having to pedal more into the gap as I was overshooting the step up. They advertise and inch drop and it is noticeable both visually and huge difference on the trail. Here are the pics so you can see the difference for yourself before and after. If you are thinking about getting that front end down, this is a fantastic option and I am a very happy rider.

Attachments

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
very nice, just curious. how tall are you? im running the twenty6 stem with deity dirty 30's and i already feel like im hunched over a little. im 6ish and ride a jedi as well. they do make quality stuff though. been rocking the pedals since the day they came out and love them.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am 6'2". I have a large frame and fit is natural feeling to me. Hunched over?, like your cockpit is too short or too low? Over the front wheel too much? These last two years I have really been focusing on better cornering technique and I have been slowly tweaking my bikes for that end.

·
Registered
203 Posts
+1 for the canfield stem. I was riding a deity non direct mount stem. This stem rapes that stem. I did notice a drastic improvement on cornering ability too. It made me feel more like in the bike than on the bike.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kenbentit said:
Is that an orange Balance in the background?
Sure is, I will never sell that thing. I trail rode it for nearly 3 years. Now I take it to the jump park, to our Freeride trails that require you to pedal out of. We have some shuttles that are more fun on it than the Jedi also. I repainted it last winter, still get that warm fuzzy feeling every time I look at that magical fun making machine.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
aenema said:
I am 6'2". I have a large frame and fit is natural feeling to me. Hunched over?, like your cockpit is too short or too low? Over the front wheel too much? These last two years I have really been focusing on better cornering technique and I have been slowly tweaking my bikes for that end.
I mean hunched over like really leaning forward. I do agree that it would be a more aggressive position but i ride my jedi on shuttles/resorts/FR 95% of the time so having a very aggressive stance makes me tired quicker and makes my back hurt after a long day.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tatankainlondon said:
Is it because you put more weight on the front of the bike?
Exactly. Lowering that front end makes it easier to change direction quickly like when you are going from berm to berm or in tighter sections of trail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.