Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Canfield Bikes
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the first Canfield Brothers Lucky frame. Just built it up and spent the weekend in Moab.

Geometry

Adjustable Travel – 7.09” (180mm) to 8.15” (207mm)
Bottom Bracket Height – 14”
Chain Stay Length – 17.0”
Head Angle with a 570mm A to C Fork (8”) = 66 deg. (7”) = 67 deg.

Small:
Actual Seat tube – 15”
Effective Top tube – 22”
Medium:
Actual Seat tube – 17”
Effective Top tube – 23”
Large:
Actual Seat tube – 19”
Effective Top tube – 24”

Frame Weight – 11.25lbs (medium with Fox DHX 5.0)
Rear Hub size – 150 x 12 thru axle
Head tube Length – 125mm
Head Set Size – 1.5”
Seat Post Diameter – 27.2mm
Seat Collar Diameter – 31.8mm / 1 ¼”
BB Shell – 83mm w/ ISCG Tabs
BB Size – 83 shell x 128 spindle (fits all types)
Max Tire Size – 2.7”

Attachments

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
936 Posts
Looks really nice, is that 1.5" headtube?

regards

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Awww man!
That looks soooo much better than the last proto I saw!
I knew that was gonna be a killer bike :)

Very nice.

Now how about some ride reports?
What does that WB come out to?
Is the frame aluminum?
Any idea of the seat tube angle?

Could you take a pic of the bike directly from the side for me?

That bike looks really nice my friend :)

Booner

·
gmoney was gmoneybike
304 Posts
Adjustable Travel

flymybike said:
Here is the first Canfield Brothers Lucky frame. Just built it up and spent the weekend in Moab.

Adjustable Travel - 7.09" (180mm) to 8.15" (207mm)
How is the adjustable travel accomplished?

·
Canfield Bikes
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More Pictures

Had a request for more pics so here you go!

Attachments

·
Canfield Bikes
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a few more pics.
The rear triangle uses a internally ribbed tubing, as does the support tube for the upper forward pivot, for increased lateral stiffness and durability. The bearing in the upper link are 20 x 32 x 7mm bearings and the lower link runs a custom double row 20mm bearing with extended inner race to eliminate the need for washers. The rear end runs a 150x12 hub and the frame comes with the axle, a standard Canfield replacable hanger and a Saint compatable hanger also. The finish is XTR Grey hard anodized and has graphics polished into the aluminum before anodizing. The logos are laser etched into the anodizing, giving you a durable finish with no need for stickers.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tech question alert!!!!!

Okay, the arrival of my frame in iminent (maybe next week? Any updates on that?) and I'm looking at spring rates and trying to get an idea of shock set up...

I'm going to run the bike in 7" mode predominantly. I'm ~205-210lbs so I'm guessing the leverage ratio in that mode is better suited to my weight. However, how does the leverage ratio vary through the stroke in 7" mode? Is the linkage designed to have a progressive rate and ramp up at end of stroke or is it linear and you use the adjustments on the DHX to make it as progressive as you like?

Canfield Bro's, what did you end up with for settings after your first ride? Did you spend a lot of time adjusting the shock? It looks like I'll need a 450 spring, or maybe a 400 with pre-load if I want a bit more sag.

Finally, does the difference in shock mounting for the 7" travel affect BB height and HA? I've got 170mm cranks to run but could change them for 165mm if the BB is too low.

Thanks.
Jon.

·
Canfield Bikes
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
jon_boy said:
Tech question alert!!!!!

Okay, the arrival of my frame in iminent (maybe next week? Any updates on that?) and I'm looking at spring rates and trying to get an idea of shock set up...

I'm going to run the bike in 7" mode predominantly. I'm ~205-210lbs so I'm guessing the leverage ratio in that mode is better suited to my weight. However, how does the leverage ratio vary through the stroke in 7" mode? Is the linkage designed to have a progressive rate and ramp up at end of stroke or is it linear and you use the adjustments on the DHX to make it as progressive as you like?

Canfield Bro's, what did you end up with for settings after your first ride? Did you spend a lot of time adjusting the shock? It looks like I'll need a 450 spring, or maybe a 400 with pre-load if I want a bit more sag.

Finally, does the difference in shock mounting for the 7" travel affect BB height and HA? I've got 170mm cranks to run but could change them for 165mm if the BB is too low.

Thanks.
Jon.
Hey Jon

I tested the Roco on the Lucky for about 3 months last season and it's a really good match for the bike. Alot smoother than a Fox but I like the Fox for more AM type riding.

The Luckys are (edit) in and then we need to inspect and inventory everything. I'm guessing mid Febuary for delivery.

I run a 450# spring for 8" mode and weigh 150 lbs. In 7" a 450 works for Chris weighing in at 180-185. I think you should start with a 500 and go from there. The Lucky is VERY progressive so we turned the propedal off, backed the compression damping all the way off and slowed the rebound to my liking. Chris likes it with a little less rebound than I do, being more of a racer than a hucker.

The BB is 14" in 8" mode and drops to 13.7" in 7" mode.
The head angle is 66 degrees in 8" mode and is 65.5 degrees in 7" mode with a 570mm tall fork. If you can, run 165 cranks.
Hope I answered everything for you. Let me know if you've got more questions or give Chris a call. 801-548-2556

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.