Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2421 - 2429 of 2429 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Significant wear on the chain-stay - there's a hole in one side!

IMG_20201209_202848.jpg IMG_20201209_202857.jpg
IMG_20201209_202953.jpg
IMG_20201209_204025.jpg
IMG_20201209_204045.jpg

I spotted some alarming problem with my frame this evening when changing tyres.
There is s (some minor wear on the seat stays but nothing as bad as the chain stays)

Per the specs the frame should have clearance for 2.5 tyres but I've always run a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.4 on the rear of the bike at an approx 25psi pressure but do not recall ever hearing it rub against the frame, but I'm not sure what else could have caused this issue - it is worse on the non-drive side of the frame as you can see - there's actually a hole in the frame.

Per the photos - you can see that the tyre (this is a brand new tyre) seems to have plenty of clearance -
I only ever really use this bike for XC and a small bit of Enduro - no big jumps/drops etc. as I'm too old/terrified for that!

Obviously, this is very alarming, I'm really concerned that the frame will break during use - anyone else seen this scale of a problem?

This is actually my second frame from you - the first one failed due to the BB shell coming loose in the frame and was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is some shops that can do carbon bike repairs. The can also build it up so there’s more material in that area. Another thing that might help is a stiffer rear wheel. Carbon rims helps but the build is most important. 29er wheels flex more. I have a riot that rubs the chain stays sometimes. Mainly from frame flex, with 2.5 tire in it, and if the tire is a little wobbly. The anodizing is gone on both sides.

·
West Chester, PA
4,932 Posts
The frame I used to own was ridden for over 4 years as my only bike and the wear marks barely went through the paint. I would hear the tire rub once in a while. Doesn't seem possible that you never heard it, especially DHF edge knobs. It's not canfield's fault

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've got a little wear on the same spot on my EPO. The non-driveside stay is definitely closer to the centerline of the frame than the driveside stay. I ran a 2.5 Aggressor briefly and then a 2.4 DHR2. Both rubbed, so I've stuck to 2.3 tires since. While it has pretty good clearance for its vintage, it's still a short-chainstay, non-Boost frame. I do wish it could handle a bit more rubber, though.
This is also my second frame. Like yours, it was warranted for the loose BB shell issue. The replacement (2017) frame has been a champ, seeing twice as many miles as the original did. I hope to keep it for the long haul.
You should be able to get this fixed. If you do, see if you can get a piece of stainless integrated into the repair. Some custom armor would add character!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've got a little wear on the same spot on my EPO. The non-driveside stay is definitely closer to the centerline of the frame than the driveside stay. I ran a 2.5 Aggressor briefly and then a 2.4 DHR2. Both rubbed, so I've stuck to 2.3 tires since. While it has pretty good clearance for its vintage, it's still a short-chainstay, non-Boost frame. I do wish it could handle a bit more rubber, though.
This is also my second frame. Like yours, it was warranted for the loose BB shell issue. The replacement (2017) frame has been a champ, seeing twice as many miles as the original did. I hope to keep it for the long haul.
You should be able to get this fixed. If you do, see if you can get a piece of stainless integrated into the repair. Some custom armor would add character!
Some stainless is a good idea. Or Titanium.

2421 - 2429 of 2429 Posts