Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2429 Posts

·
West Chester, PA
4,930 Posts
EPO rebuild progress yesterday. Still waiting for the rowboat carrying my rims from china to arrive. The fork took 6 weeks to show up. Not doing singlespeed, it's going to be 10spd
IMG_20200624_165720.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
Loaded up prior to the start of the TNGA:
KIMG1240.jpg
Trying a different tensioner this go-around. Rear-triangle compliance doesn't seem to jive well with a fixed tensioner...might try to spring-load the pulley somehow.

·
West Chester, PA
4,930 Posts
My covid EPO rebuild is finally done. Kind of a budget build. Some parts from my stash, some used stuff, some new stuff from china. Got the longest a2c rigid fork I could find. Built up some new nextie rims with a hope rear hub and a novatec front. 2.6 front tire, 2.4 rear. 1x10 with new slx cranks and brakes. Fun wheelie bike for the more mild trails in my area.:thumbsup:
PXL_20200930_192127531.jpg
PXL_20200930_192227495.jpg

·
Not the Cat in the Hat!
416 Posts
Dude, that "re-build" looks pretty sweet! Nice work! Just curious, what is the weight of it with the carbon fork?

·
Registered
315 Posts
feedback with 120mm fork

Hi,
I'm looking for feedback from people that have run the EPO with a 120mm fork. I've spent the winter on a rigid 29er with a 71 degree head angle, so I'm looking for something that handles tighter trails and climbs a little better than the way I have the bike set up now (riser bar; 130mm fork). I don't mind a little sketch at high speeds. Haha. I'm trying to create more of a hard-charging XC marathon bike.

I initially build mine with 120mm Fox 32. but handling was kinda weird. I went to 130mm and handling better both down and UP! On tight UP switchbacks it seemed better with the longer fork - I dont know why! I ride size L, with Thomson setback s-post, 60mm stem and 730mm bars - used it a lot for marathon and multi-day stage races, light and forgiving in the descents when you are tired out (you can take rubbish line choices at high speed!)

So I way preferred the handling with 130mm than with 120mm and have used it for quite a few marathon races

·
Registered
315 Posts
singlespeeding EPO

Loaded up prior to the start of the TNGA:
View attachment 1358629
Trying a different tensioner this go-around. Rear-triangle compliance doesn't seem to jive well with a fixed tensioner...might try to spring-load the pulley somehow.
I tried to singlespeed mine, but couldnt tension the chain without the stays getting in the way. Is was attemping 32x18 which is my preferred for a 29er (32x16 on a 26er) -- what gearing are you using, and is it with a half-link? I prefer normal chain so you can run anti-drop front chainring.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I initially build mine with 120mm Fox 32. but handling was kinda weird. I went to 130mm and handling better both down and UP! On tight UP switchbacks it seemed better with the longer fork - I dont know why! I ride size L, with Thomson setback s-post, 60mm stem and 730mm bars - used it a lot for marathon and multi-day stage races, light and forgiving in the descents when you are tired out (you can take rubbish line choices at high speed!)

So I way preferred the handling with 130mm than with 120mm and have used it for quite a few marathon races
Thanks for the reply. I ended up going from a 50 to 60mm stem with a flat Renthal bar. That helped a bit, but adjusting the seat to a more comfortable position (further back) still leaves me with some challenges on our numerous straight-up climbs around here. Leaves me wishing for the adjustable chainstays of my old Honzo.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My covid EPO rebuild is finally done. Kind of a budget build. Some parts from my stash, some used stuff, some new stuff from china. Got the longest a2c rigid fork I could find. Built up some new nextie rims with a hope rear hub and a novatec front. 2.6 front tire, 2.4 rear. 1x10 with new slx cranks and brakes. Fun wheelie bike for the more mild trails in my area.:thumbsup:

Where did you find that fork?

·
West Chester, PA
4,930 Posts
Where did you find that fork?
Ebay. But the seller is no longer a registered user. They had a run of negative feedback and claims because of the spring shipping delays so they just killed the account. I kept the faith and it did eventually show up. It's got more offset and length than any of the other forks I found. There are other ones that look similar but I can't find any other sellers that have this exact one.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I tried to singlespeed mine, but couldnt tension the chain without the stays getting in the way. Is was attemping 32x18 which is my preferred for a 29er (32x16 on a 26er) -- what gearing are you using, and is it with a half-link? I prefer normal chain so you can run anti-drop front chainring.
That was geared 28x22 for that ride. Whipperman 9-speed chain and SRAM steel narrow-wide chainring. No half-link needed with the tensioner, but I do have different pulley diameters to take up the slack that the tensioner adjustment can't manage.

2401 - 2420 of 2429 Posts