Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2429 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anybody have suggestions on an aftermarket rear thru-axle nut in case the Canfield one gets lost? I guess I could ask Canfield for one, but I don't know whether they are in business anymore. I had a situation yesterday where I hit my derailleur on a rock and sheared the thru-axle in half. The nut end went flying...took me a little while to find it, but I did eventually. Had to walk out of of course. Anyway, made me think that carrying a spare one of those things might be smart in case it gets lost when changing a flat or something. I know some people have glued/loctited the nut together with the frame as a different option. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Anybody have suggestions on an aftermarket rear thru-axle nut in case the Canfield one gets lost? I guess I could ask Canfield for one, but I don't know whether they are in business anymore. I had a situation yesterday where I hit my derailleur on a rock and sheared the thru-axle in half. The nut end went flying...took me a little while to find it, but I did eventually. Had to walk out of of course. Anyway, made me think that carrying a spare one of those things might be smart in case it gets lost when changing a flat or something. I know some people have glued/loctited the nut together with the frame as a different option. Thanks!!
I have a Ibis through axle I use so I can run a boost rear wheel.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I broke the thru axle nut on my EPO late last season. I bought two in December 2018 ($10 each), along with a new hanger. Nine months is a long time, but you might still be able to get your hands on one from Canfield.
Have you checked to see if their online store is still up? If not, try emailing Chris directly. [email protected]

·
Registered
57 Posts
I broke the thru axle nut on my EPO late last season. I bought two in December 2018 ($10 each), along with a new hanger. Nine months is a long time, but you might still be able to get your hands on one from Canfield.
Have you checked to see if their online store is still up? If not, try emailing Chris directly. [email protected]

Actually, it looks like somehow I lost the non-drive side dropout. Their store still seems to be functioning, so maybe I'll be able to buy some spare parts. I will call/email today to see what happens. When you ordered the derailleur hanger, was it just the actual drive side piece or did it come with the non-drive side dropout as well? (They don't have the non-drive side piece listed separately online.) Thanks!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Actually, it looks like somehow I lost the non-drive side dropout. Their store still seems to be functioning, so maybe I'll be able to buy some spare parts. I will call/email today to see what happens. When you ordered the derailleur hanger, was it just the actual drive side piece or did it come with the non-drive side dropout as well? (They don't have the non-drive side piece listed separately online.) Thanks!
There is no removable non-driveside dropout. The dropout is just the carbon frame. The only metal parts (on the drive side) are the derailleur hanger and the "axle end cap," (pictured below) which are each listed on Canfield’a online store.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
There is no removable non-driveside dropout. The dropout is just the carbon frame. The only metal parts (on the drive side) are the derailleur hanger and the "axle end cap," (pictured below) which are each listed on Canfield’a online store.
Anybody know if this thru-axle nut design (i.e. the rounded 'triangle') is used by any other frame manufacturers? I'd love to find one in M12x1.0 thread pitch so I can ditch the Maxle, but it seems I may be resigned to make one...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anybody know if this thru-axle nut design (i.e. the rounded 'triangle') is used by any other frame manufacturers? I'd love to find one in M12x1.0 thread pitch so I can ditch the Maxle, but it seems I may be resigned to make one...
I ditched the maxle for an Ibis Hexle. Someone suggested that in this thread and it works great. You want the Sram version listed here.

http://store.ibiscycles.com/hexle-p262.aspx

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Wolf Tooth one (The size is 1.75X174mm) and it works great. The reason it broke was because I broke my hub.... Wolf Tooth warrantied it, although now I don't think it was their fault. Oh well, they'll definitely have my business in the future!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I ordered the Hexle.

I hope Canfield would consider a 12x1.00 pitch insert and thru-axle on the next run of EPOs. The rear end is surprisingly flexy and IMO the amount of torque required for the needed clamping strength of the thru-axle is excessive and exacerbated by the coarse 1.75 thread-pitch.

In the meantime, I'll make my own 1.00 pitch insert...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi,
I'm looking for feedback from people that have run the EPO with a 120mm fork. I've spent the winter on a rigid 29er with a 71 degree head angle, so I'm looking for something that handles tighter trails and climbs a little better than the way I have the bike set up now (riser bar; 130mm fork). I don't mind a little sketch at high speeds. Haha. I'm trying to create more of a hard-charging XC marathon bike.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Well I took this ole girl apart last year sometime and put the parts up for sale and had no takers so **** it she’s going back together. She’s ruff around the edges and beat up like a trail park wife but damn she still looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just another point of data
Boost wheel in Back works fine, just need to use a 180 1.75 pitch axle
Hi mestapho, I saw you had been running a Boost rear wheel in your EPO. Its something Im considering because I have another bike with Boost and Id like to be able to swap the wheels around - was panning to get a Wolftooth boostinator and re-dish the rear wheel. So just wanted to get your feedback - is the boost rear in the EPO still running OK or did you run into any issues further down the line?
thanks,
Pat

·
West Chester, PA
4,930 Posts
Well I took this ole girl apart last year sometime and put the parts up for sale and had no takers so **** it she’s going back together. She’s ruff around the edges and beat up like a trail park wife but damn she still looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too! Built up a new FS ride back in the winter and sold most of the parts off my EPO. But I couldn't part with the frame. 2020 is my 30th year mountain biking and it's high time I have 2 complete bikes again. So I'm in the process of ordering everything to build her back up... As a rigid single speed! :eekster::)

She's going to have some used parts mixed with old. I just ordered new nextie 35mm rims, new slx brakes and a 500mm carbon fork from china. Also have a used hope pro 4 rear hub coming.

2381 - 2400 of 2429 Posts