Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

941 - 960 of 967 Posts

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
I talked to Ronnie at DVO and he recommended a Topaz for my Balance, and they're tuning it with a lighter compression configuration before shipping it out. Hopefully it'll arrive middle of next week and I can finally ride this thing.

It'll be at least as good as the Fox DYAD RT2 I'm used to, I'm sure of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello folks!
Tried a Canfield recently (riot for the case), and now dreaming wet :)
Can't decide between balance and riot actually, as do see pros and cons for both.

The question which still unanswered: had anyone tried Balance with 29" up front? maybe with 140 travel to keep a2c at ~551.
And, maybe some even tried 29" back for the Balance?

cheers!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hello folks!
Tried a Canfield recently (riot for the case), and now dreaming wet :)
Can't decide between balance and riot actually, as do see pros and cons for both.

The question which still unanswered: had anyone tried Balance with 29" up front? maybe with 140 travel to keep a2c at ~551.
And, maybe some even tried 29" back for the Balance?

cheers!
eicca tried 29ers in the back of the Balance, 2.3s actually seemed to fit alright - see the full post here: https://forums.mtbr.com/canfield/stupid-idea-week-balance-29er-conversion-1104375.html

Keep in mind you still would need to mess with the rear shock in order to prevent the rear wheel from hitting the seat tube.

If you're willing to deal with figuring out how to limit the travel (maybe with a spacer inside the shock or a shorter eye to eye shock?), and you're alright with tighter tire clearance and a heavier frame you do get a couple of upgrades over the Riot, namely the one piece upper link and better head tube gussets.

The other things to consider on a 29er Balance would be the higher bottom bracket, the slacker seat tube, and the slightly shorter reach (all vs the Riot). If I had a Balance frame on hand I definitely would try it, but if you're looking specifically for a 29er the Riot might be a better choice.

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
Get a Riot if you want easier speed and won't be hitting things super hard.

Get the Balance if you're willing to push a little weight but need to really charge and get aggressive.

I personally don't think it's worth trying to convert the Balance to 29er, because you'd end up with a bike slightly worse than the Riot anyway.

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
Any updates on the Carbon Balance they have been working on?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Rumors have it they will announce new stuff this fall. Rumors also have it they've been moving the company to Utah. Only time will tell.

I really hope they come back stronger than ever because my Balance is the absolute best bike I've ever ridden, hands down. It climbs like it's locked, no exaggeration. Not once have I used the climb switch.

The first few rides were disconcerting because I kept thinking "I've over-pumped my suspension" or "I've left the climb switch on or something" and "This is going to feel like trash going downhill, it's too stiff." But no! It's like it's simultaneously in climb mode and charge mode, without either affecting the other. It's so efficient I end up getting an even harder workout because it's constantly begging for upshifts. My old Jekyll hit a wall in 3rd or 4th gear, where I could push harder but it wouldn't climb any faster. On the Balance I have yet to come anywhere near its limit.

There's something about the way it descends. It picks up speed faster than any other bike I've ever been on. Scared the ever loving crap out of me the first time I rode it. I've had to upgrade from Guides to Zee brakes to keep it under control. But it eats absolutely everything, and it's short and playful and it even gets airborne with a lot less effort.

This bike puts an absolute end to the stigma that enduro bikes can pedal only because they have to. Mixed terrain is a blast. On a Balance you don't just put up with it until you can point it downhill. It pedals shockingly, bewilderingly well. I now understand why most Balance owners choose coil shocks. If only I could beef up my skinny legs, I could probably start putting up a good fight in enduro races.

What's the best word to describe this bike?

Ballistic. Absolutely ballistic.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Does anybody run a 180mm fork on their 2016 Balance? I know it’s not officially supposed to, but has anyone encountered issues? I’m on a 170mm Lyrik right now... maybe a 180 Fox 36 since the ATC would only be a 5mm difference?

·
May The Force Be With You
2,420 Posts
they did start in Utah. just off Hill Field Rd in Layton actually, just down the street from where i lived back in 2004 before i know who Canfield even was

·
Registered
343 Posts
So I recently got a nice bonus at work and naturally blew it all on bike stuff I didn't need. Yes I know it's crazy expensive even with a 15% discount but damn they look good. EEWings Ti Cranks Set.
EEWings.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spring for coil shock

I have the canecreek coil cs shock and the 2.5 inch 400 lb coil is to light for me (that’s what the spring calculator on their site suggested). Was going to bump up to a 450 lb coil, and looking at their fit guide I can do a 2.5 or 2.75 x 450. Would they ride differently? Advantage to longer or shorter with same spring weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Spring for coil shock

I have the canecreek coil cs shock and the 2.5 inch 400 lb coil is to light for me (that’s what the spring calculator on their site suggested). Was going to bump up to a 450 lb coil, and looking at their fit guide I can do a 2.5 or 2.75 x 450. Would they ride differently? Advantage to longer or shorter with same spring weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBH the shorter length that work is better just because of weight... but if you have valt springs, there is not much difference anyways...slds..

·
Registered
268 Posts
I’m going to get another Balance and put those eel Wings cranks on it. They are just badass. Also want to put a DVO Onyx SC 29er fork on it. I think that would be a cool setup.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have a Riot and a Balance. Exact same setup. Diamond and jade. Put the Balance rear 27.5 on the Riot. Loved it. Quicker thru the tight stuff. I did pedal strike on some technical climbing. Only rode it a short time. Balance is down for full service. When I get it done I’m putting the Riot’s Diamond 29er back to 160mm and throwing it on the Balance. It’s a ‘16 so not rated for a bigger fork or the increase in axle to crown like the newer ones are. But it’s out of warranty so I’m going to try it to see how it feels. Sean at Canfield said some people are running 29ers on their Balance. I’ll let y’all know how it works,but I’m pretty sure my next bikes are going to be an aluminum Balance and Jedi. Both with 29 front 27.5 rear. Maybe raw instead of black. Hopefully this winter they will have some new stock. Still want a Nimble nine too, for some crazy reason. Some new carbon bikes would be cool, but I just waiting for them to restock. Revel looks cool, but I have a couple of bikes. Sticking with Canfield. Balance is probably going to be badass for more trails and we all know how the 29er Jedi is working. Congratulations Chris on the National championship!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm running a 180mm Z1 on my 2017 balance and it's an absolute beast. I'm hitting bigger stuff than I ever have. Climbing takes a little body english but it's not horrible.

941 - 960 of 967 Posts