Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

921 - 940 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I’m having a major crisis. Do I put a DVO Topaz on and drop an entire pound, or put a Jade on and relish in that unbeatable coil feel?
I am running a Jade. It feels unending and supportive. I swapped to an SL spring and I lost 305g. Total shock weight is ~775g now. My bike isn't light at 32.98lbs, but it pedals lighter than what it started at when it was 34.69lbs. My bike could lose another pound without a shock swap. I do want to try an air shock to feel the difference between the two in performance characteristics but not weight.

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
Mine is 34lb with the Cane Creek DBCoil. I’ll have to weigh the shock and see if a Jade will get close.

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
I am running a Jade. It feels unending and supportive. I swapped to an SL spring and I lost 305g. Total shock weight is ~775g now. My bike isn't light at 32.98lbs, but it pedals lighter than what it started at when it was 34.69lbs. My bike could lose another pound without a shock swap. I do want to try an air shock to feel the difference between the two in performance characteristics but not weight.
Which SL spring are you using?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m having a major crisis. Do I put a DVO Topaz on and drop an entire pound, or put a Jade on and relish in that unbeatable coil feel?
This bike practically begs for a coil. I have coil front and rear on mine and it weighs 34.5 lbs. I love that plush coil feel and wouldn't change a thing.

Canfield Balance.jpg

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
Think a Topaz with needle bearing bushings would be a close competition to a coil? My inner weight weenie just won’t go away.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It lioks like you have a large, correct? If so can you measure the length of the center of the bb to the seattube at 1.5-2" above the downtube, please?
I can’t right now but by math I reduced the normal 470mm (18.5”) seat tube to a 452mm seat tube (17.8”). Since I was originally running my 150 lev integra raised about 6mm, I was able to install the 175mm lev integra slammed and have the same overall seat height, with 1inch more drop. If you use a dropper with a lower stack height, like one-ups (33mm vs lev integra 50) you could probably get away with 190mm of drop. But then the issue maybe where the cable entrance is, since the total insertion may be too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Think a Topaz with needle bearing bushings would be a close competition to a coil? My inner weight weenie just won’t go away.
Nope, well maybe. I am not sure because I have never ridden an air shock. Since you already have the DBCoil, why are you wanting a Jade? It might be best to get a Topaz just to have two different shocks. Below is my Balance with no crazy light parts on it except the Renthal bar.

I am using a DVO SL spring.

_20190517_195230.jpg

I guess the build is:
'16 medium
Jade w/500lb SL spring
Yari RC2 160mm w/Debonair spring
Oozy 345s w/Kings
XT 11 spd w/Sunrace 11-46
Raceface Aeffect 165s & 32t chainring
SLX brakes w/180s (next upgrade-Polished Curas 4 frt, 2 rr)
Minion DHR II & Rekon 2.4s 3C
OneUp 170mm dropper w/leather Silverado
Renthal stealth farbar-30mm rise w/Disisdaboss grips & 50mm Answer stem
Stamp 1 large pedals w/a handful of extended pins

And it's just under 33lbs

Sorry for the non-trailside pic, I don't stop to take pics. I am usually just trying to breathe when I slow down.

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
Nope, well maybe. I am not sure because I have never ridden an air shock. Since you already have the DBCoil, why are you wanting a Jade? It might be best to get a Topaz just to have two different shocks. Below is my Balance with no crazy light parts on it except the Renthal bar.

I am using a DVO SL spring.

View attachment 1251772

I guess the build is:
'16 medium
Jade w/500lb SL spring
Yari RC2 160mm w/Debonair spring
Oozy 345s w/Kings
XT 11 spd w/Sunrace 11-46
Raceface Aeffect 165s & 32t chainring
SLX brakes w/180s (next upgrade-Polished Curas 4 frt, 2 rr)
Minion DHR II & Rekon 2.4s 3C
OneUp 170mm dropper w/leather Silverado
Renthal stealth farbar-30mm rise w/Disisdaboss grips & 50mm Answer stem
Stamp 1 large pedals w/a handful of extended pins

And it's just under 33lbs

Sorry for the non-trailside pic, I don't stop to take pics. I am usually just trying to breathe when I slow down.
I’m having a real hard time finding the right spring for the DBCoil, and I want a DVO shock to color match anyway.

Switching to a Topaz would drop an entire pound off my bike and is infinitely adjustable.

Anyone know the shock hardware size on this thing?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been riding this bike with a coil shock and AVY cartridge fork for 3 years now and wouldn't change a thing. It's heavy compared to all the wonder bikes that have come out since but I have no desire to change for the sake of something new. At least until Canfield comes out with something new ;)
20180914_181317_resized.jpg 20181216_112937_resized_1.jpg 20181216_113014_resized_1.jpg

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
So if I did go with a Jade, will the CBF make up for the lack of climb switch?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I only rode hardtails, namely over-forked Honzos, before my Balance. So I appreciate a firm rear end while climbing. I climb mostly standing just due to style even on my Balance. CBF is high-level wizardry. It makes me think a climb switch would inhibit its climbing prowess.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So if I did go with a Jade, will the CBF make up for the lack of climb switch?
its active but good support on smooth uphills.. if you have a big climb on fireroad you can crank up the LSC... Ive used it on the Balance and it doesnt need a climb switch

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
@acfsportsfan, can you post up some closeups (head-onish, and with the bars cranked both ways) on your heatshrinked cables? That's on my list to do and I am trying to figure out how mate the front brake line and dropper cable.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes, good eye. It's only temporary though. I put it on when I went to Moab last month, when the snow melts in Downieville the Minion goes back on.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes, good eye. It's only temporary though. I put it on when I went to Moab last month, when the snow melts in Downieville the Minion goes back on.
Haha, an XC tire in a Balance?! ...it's not like I have a Rekon on the rear on mine and am considering a Forekaster.

I am enjoying the easier pedaling from the Rekon. Of course it doesn't hook up like an Aggressor or DHR II, but it's great in spring conditions when the trails have some moisture to them. It is also predictable when it breaks traction letting my DHR II to a better job up front. Once the trails dry out and get blown out, I'll move back to an Aggressor with the big DHR II up front.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am enjoying the easier pedaling from the Rekon.
I find the Icon to be a very good rolling tire and has decent braking. It's now my regular tire set up for my Riot (DHF/Icon) I brought both my Canfields to Moab and wanted to have the same tire set up for when I switched bikes. It was a great combo for all the rock riding.
Here's a close-up of the same heat shrink cable wrap on my Riot.

20190522_081825.jpg
20190522_082029_resized_1.jpg

Attachments

921 - 940 of 967 Posts