1 - 20 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance 2.jpg

2016 Balance Preview-3.jpg

Striking a balance between efficient pedaling and all-out descending—an elusive feat claimed by many, realized by few. The all-new Canfield Brothers Balance is slacker, lower, faster and stronger, yet thanks to the patented Canfield Balance Formula suspension, it is an incredibly efficient pedaler capable of earning its turns.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance 6.jpg

Based on the efficient all-rounder that the ‘Bros rolled out in 2014, but calling on the hucking heritage of the original pedalable freeride rig that debuted a decade ago, the 2016 Canfield Brothers Balance was re-engineered with longer travel 165 millimeters and a lower leverage ratio for more consistent, smooth travel under hard riding, and a more progressive end stroke to swallow big hits. An all-new CNC'ded upper link increases stiffness, while a redesigned rear triangle improves tire clearance, and the entire frame is now crafted from bombproof 7005-series aluminum.

Features:

• 27.5” Aggressive All Mountain
  • 7005 aluminum with an all new, stiff CNC'd upper link
  • Patented Canfield Balance Formula Suspension
  • 165mm travel
  • 216mm x 63mm Cane Creek Double Barrel Air CS included
  • 142 x 12mm rear dropouts, axle included
  • Tapered headtube
  • 15mm pivot bearings
  • Replaceable rear derailleur hanger, spare hanger included
  • Anodized and factory raw frame options
  • Available in Small, Medium, Large and X-Large

Geo:
Balance Geo.JPG

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance 5.jpg

Combining the active CBF suspension with the rolling advantages of 27.5-inch wheels results in a fast, responsive ride, while handling is kept playful and confident with a slack 65-degree head-angle and even shorter 420-millimeter chainstays.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance 10.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance 1.jpg

Long before the “E” word, The Bros. had their own idea of what an all-mountain bike should be—just as capable of flagrant disregard for line choice and taking big hits in stride as it is of getting you to the top under your own power. The 2016 Balance is perhaps the purest form of that yet—an aggressive all-mountain machine that’s just as at home in the bike park as it is earning it on a backcountry epic or blazing first descents.

Where will you find your Balance?

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance 11.jpg

Rider - Lance Canfield, images by Ian Cook/Elements Of Exposure.

For more info, please see our website.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks great....love in lengthened reach and wheelbase from last years.

Is frame weight the same?

I see the fork rec's now say 160-170mm. Does that mean the new lyrick or 36 are approved now? Or is it still just the MRP stage for 170?

SP

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great....love in lengthened reach and wheelbase from last years.

Is frame weight the same?

I see the fork rec's now say 160-170mm. Does that mean the new lyrick or 36 are approved now? Or is it still just the MRP stage for 170?

SP
We designed the 2016 Balance around a 160mm Pike, however it's now rated up any 170mm fork.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I know lots of people are happy you stayed away from boost rear spacing. What was your reasoning for execluing it from the riot and now this. The bike looks great. I think I'd be very happy with it or the riot. Keep up the good work! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, looks good! Some difficult bike buying decisions to make in the near future...

Are there any shots of the black anodize or raw finish with the purple links? Also, is the raw clearcoated?

·
Registered
908 Posts
I know lots of people are happy you stayed away from boost rear spacing. What was your reasoning for execluing it from the riot and now this. The bike looks great. I think I'd be very happy with it or the riot. Keep up the good work! :)
Because creating new standards is dumb. The only reason manufacturers do that is to sell more parts, and make what you already have, obsolete. Planned obsolescence.

·
West Chester, PA
4,932 Posts
Because creating new standards is dumb. The only reason manufacturers do that is to sell more parts, and make what you already have, obsolete. Planned obsolescence.
So you'd prefer this bike have a 1" headset and a quick release holding the rear end together?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is geo with internal or external headset?
Our geos are based off of external as you can't do an internal headset with a tapered steerer on our 49mm lower headtubes. (I think there is a company in EU that does offer a headset for this, but the bearings would be too pinner by our standards).

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, looks good! Some difficult bike buying decisions to make in the near future...

Are there any shots of the black anodize or raw finish with the purple links? Also, is the raw clearcoated?
I just posted images of all the colors for you guys. The factory raw is a raw frame that we semi polish and leave uncoated. It will develop a sweet patina over time or you can simply touch it up with steel wool, (0000), to bring it to a full polish.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
If I did not just blow a ton of money building up a Riot I would be all over this like a hobo on a Ham sandwich!! I wish you guys would have done the head tube brace on the riot, for no ther reason than it looks really cool. I went back and forth on a riot or a balance, glad these pics and info were not out a little over a month ago, or my choice would have been much, much , harder. Cant wait for one of the two bikes to come out in carbon......Hopefully 29er first since I already have wheels and a fork. haha

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what's the frame weight for a medium?
We will post production weights once the frames arrive, but our protos were just under 8.25lbs without shock. We wanted this new bike to be similar to our Jedis, where you can have confidence that your bike is DH tough and ready for whatever you can throw at it for years to come!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Great job on this model. I can't stop staring at it. Also thanks for keeping the rider in mind instead of going along with the latest horrible trends, for example, staying with threaded bottom bracket and keeping the rear 12x142. I understand that there's a benefit for boost on 29ers, but unnecessary for 27.5. I like to build up my own bike and sometimes use existing parts because there's nothing wrong with them and replace when things get worn or broken. When manufactures make changes just to update the latest model year without real benefits, that is plan obsolescence for us consumers. Thanks Canfield for giving us a REAL choice. The Balance will be my next ride.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Y
Great job on this model. I can't stop staring at it. Also thanks for keeping the rider in mind instead of going along with the latest horrible trends, for example, staying with threaded bottom bracket and keeping the rear 12x142. I understand that there's a benefit for boost on 29ers, but unnecessary for 27.5. I like to build up my own bike and sometimes use existing parts because there's nothing wrong with them and replace when things get worn or broken. When manufactures make changes just to update the latest model year without real benefits, that is plan obsolescence for us consumers. Thanks Canfield for giving us a REAL choice. The Balance will be my next ride.
ScottieM8 - We can thank you enough for for your post. Seeing this makes everything we go through worth while! We are still here after 16 years because of the overwhelming support we get from our riders and we do have the BEST customers in the industry! Thanks you guys for helping make life FUN!

I swear this forum NEEDS a "like" button!

1 - 20 of 967 Posts