Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,220 Posts
aenema said:
I would do some research on head tube angles with the totem. I am running 66 degrees with the fox van 36rc2. I'm not sure about axle to crown height on those but with an extra 20mm of travel that may make things more slack than you are wanting. There is also a risk of voiding the warranty if the fork is too long. Have you heard about their Lucky coming out soon? Its 7 or 8 inch with the same suspension design. 1.5 head tube also so would work great with the totem.

Followup on my ride. pictures are above and its now got probably close to 1k miles on it. I am now a Canfield whore. I can't say enough good about the bike. You'd think I had paid endorsements the way I rant on about them (hint hint) ;)
The suspension is super supple and ramps up just so perfectly to prevent bottom out. I take that bike everywhere and I don't think I will every take its performance for granted. It still brings a smile to my face and manages to impress me even after all those miles.
One thing to note that bothers some more than me so is worth mentioning, the paint is holding up super well. Resisting chipping and scratching. There is pedal feedback with this design which is part of why there is no bob when climbing. Your pedal strokes pull the rear wheel forward and down. Locks up with the ground and gives incredible traction but will pull at the pedal going over large water bars and such. A tradeoff I think is very worth it.
Bike is the stiffest I've felt laterally ever!! You cannot flex this frame and you'll notice the precision and cornering right away. Stiff, stiff, stiff.
I remember reading somewhere that the alum version has a 1 degree steeper ht angle...

Thanks for the review, I might pick up one of these before spring... What travel position are you using?

·
East Coast Style
1,373 Posts
flymybike said:
Thats right, the aluminum version has a 1 degree steeper head angle.

And we have sent specs to Cane Creek but it should will work fine. It's a 3-1 leverage (6" mode) which is a standard compression ratio limit.

is the balance coming in that "xtr" style color you were talking about for hte lucky?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sounds like a nice bike, question though about the 3:1 leverage. The RFX has had this leverage ratio and larger riders have found that they cant run air shocks, plus a real heavy spring is needed for the coil shocks. Have you found a way around these issues on the Balance?

·
Canfield Bikes
1,122 Posts
drumstix said:
Sounds like a nice bike, question though about the 3:1 leverage. The RFX has had this leverage ratio and larger riders have found that they cant run air shocks, plus a real heavy spring is needed for the coil shocks. Have you found a way around these issues on the Balance?
acdcfan1283 - the Balance still has the same powder coat color options, Flat Black, White, Blue and Grey like aenema has. The Lucky will be XTR grey anodized or gloss Black front and rear frame with link colors being White, Red, Light Blue or standard Canfield Blue.

3:1 leverage has been the standard recomended leverage for a long time. It is a good level of damping for the average rider but like you said, it becomes somewhat unreliable for very heavy riders. On the other side, the really light riders have issues with there being too much damping effect and finding a light enough spring. If you drop to the 122mm setting the leverage drops to 2.4-1. Plenty low for the heaviest of riders. We feel it is a good balance of leverage for most all riders, otherwise we would need to build a low leverage frame for heavy riders and a high leverage for light riders. We just don't sell enough to justify that. Your options for low leverage frames from Canfield are the Balance in 122mm setting or the Lucky in 180mm travel setting.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
unasked question answered.

I was wondering how you came to decide on the leverage ratio. The big buzz seems to be all about going to the lowest possible ratios and I wondered what your take was. I long ago learned to not get wrapped up in the marketing that is so prevalent in the biking industry but thanks for your two cents.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts